• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
April Banter

metalicwx366

You guys ready for the first big severe threat of 2015 in Tornado Alley & Dixie Alley? I am heading to OKC early Tuesday morning and am going to chase for a few days. I am thinking along the KS/OK border will be a hot spot Wednesday and there will be a play for something in AR/MS/LA on Thursday.

Really wishing my schedule would allow me to head out to the plains and chase this week. I'll be armchair chasing with Analyst instead. Wednesday especially looks like a dangerous day for anyone in C OK and up to KS. Ceiling looks quite high on this event. 

• Replies 446
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't get me wrong, I am not excited to see distruction & hoping they stay in big open fields. I go to learn and to gain experience that will help me with my future career. I also spot for the NWS so I do my best to report often.

Agreed. I enjoy the science behind these setups, even if it's somewhere else. I'm definitely not rooting for a metropolitan area to get slammed, but the storms are going to happen regardless, we might as well gain something from them.

I find severe weather setups 10x more fascinating than snow.

Agreed. I enjoy the science behind these setups, even if it's somewhere else. I'm definitely not rooting for a metropolitan area to get slammed, but the storms are going to happen regardless, we might as well gain something from them.

Severe weather is fun when it occurs in my backyard . Almost never happens though. I absolutely love it. I prefer severe thunderstorm warnings over winter storm warnings. That day when y'all were getting the ice storm/snowstorm in February and the training severe storms to the south missed me, I was pissed. Yesterday also pissed me off greatly.

That crazy storm we had last year in June was amazing. I had the excitement storm chasers have when they see tornadoes. Sucks its so rare though. When was the last time SGA had a moderate risk or greater? Hell I get excited over slight risk and marginal risk!

Lol!!

That 20" snow on his back deck, may have been photoshopped? Really about 6-7"!?

Lol you aren't lying! Now that story he said about heavy snow in late April in Virginia or wherever he was makes more sense. Talking about he saw some 20+ inches of snow and lightning and thunder in late April.

Here he goes. I didn't analyze the picture like you did. I thought the blue part was the bottom and that it was upside down in the picture Burns.

And I will now keep going.  A simple observation is not an analysis. You expected someone to stand on their head to read it?  I strongly suggest you keep your constant fault finding limited to the NWS as usual.  They don't even notice. I will bite back. 

And I will now keep going. A simple observation is not an analysis. You expected someone to stand on their head to read it? I strongly suggest you keep your constant fault finding limited to the NWS as usual. They don't even notice. I will bite back.

Lol. Analysis as defined by Wikipedia is the process of breaking a complex topic or substance into smaller parts in order to gain a better understanding of it. You clearly got a better understanding of it to know that the blue part was the top and not the base like I assumed with my "SIMPLE OBSERVATION". You analyzed it and don't want to admit it. Our NWS a mess. I analysis their discussion, let the weather happen, then analysis again at the end of the day to see how well they did.

Lol. Analysis as defined by Wikipedia is the process of breaking a complex topic or substance into smaller parts in order to gain a better understanding of it. You clearly got a better understanding of it to know that the blue part was the top and not the base like I assumed with my "SIMPLE OBSERVATION". You analyzed it and don't want to admit it. Our NWS a mess. I analysis their discussion, let the weather happen, then analysis again at the end of the day to see how well they did.

Complex?  You pretty much just conceded.

Some say analize , some say analysis, over and over! WTF!

I have to ANALIZE some numbers tomorrow !

I hate ANALYSISING numbers! :)

Really wishing my schedule would allow me to head out to the plains and chase this week. I'll be armchair chasing with Analyst instead. Wednesday especially looks like a dangerous day for anyone in C OK and up to KS. Ceiling looks quite high on this event. 

Yeah man, luckily my schedule freed up at the last moment.  This one has very strong potential and will put a few good sized metro areas under the gun.  All we can do is watch and observe, hoping people heed warnings and take cover.  Severe season is just getting going so you will get another chance to chase I bet!

How could the blue part possibly be the base of the rain gauge?  I don't know how much analysis that actually required on my part, but it did involve me observing that the bigger numbers (i.e., 4 and 5) are near the blue, and the smaller numbers (i.e., 1 and 2) are farther away from the blue.  Just to make sure everyone is aware (no finger pointing here), the positive integers follow this generally accepted progression:

1, 2, 3, 4, 5, ...

:D:P

How could the blue part possibly be the base of the rain gauge?  I don't know how much analysis that actually required on my part, but it did involve me observing that the bigger numbers (i.e., 4 and 5) are near the blue, and the smaller numbers (i.e., 1 and 2) are farther away from the blue.  Just to make sure everyone is aware (no finger pointing here), the positive integers follow this generally accepted progression:

1, 2, 3, 4, 5, ...

Damn.  That's some complex stuff.

How could the blue part possibly be the base of the rain gauge? I don't know how much analysis that actually required on my part, but it did involve me observing that the bigger numbers (i.e., 4 and 5) are near the blue, and the smaller numbers (i.e., 1 and 2) are farther away from the blue. Just to make sure everyone is aware (no finger pointing here), the positive integers follow this generally accepted progression:

1, 2, 3, 4, 5, ...

Lol you must be looking at another picture. First if you make a simple observation, that looks like the base supporting the rain gauge and not the top of it. Second the gauge is displaying negative integers and not positive integers. -5,-4,-3,-2, and -1 are negative integers which is the acceptable progression; hence the reason -5 is near the base, and -1 at the top. The gauge also displays the derivatives of -5x,-4x,-3x,-2x, and -1x.

Lol you must be looking at another picture. First if you make a simple observation, that looks like the base supporting the rain gauge and not the top of it. Second the gauge is displaying negative integers and not positive integers. -5,-4,-3,-2, and -1 are negative integers which is the acceptable progression; hence the reason -5 is near the base, and -1 at the top. The gauge also displays the derivatives of -5x,-4x,-3x,-2x, and -1x.

SMH please tell me you are trolling Burns and Calc. Oh wait, I just realized rain falls up in Waycross.

Mack (or anyone) can you identify the items in either one of these pictures? The first is a thorny bush growing at my mom's house. I've never seen this before. The thorns are about 1.5" long. The second is an outdoors-type store that I've never heard of. It's going to open soon.

post-987-0-61949100-1428341994_thumb.jpg

post-987-0-24991900-1428341869_thumb.jpg]

Mack (or anyone) can you identify the items in either one of these pictures? The first is a thorny bush growing at my mom's house. I've never seen this before. The thorns are about 1.5" long. The second is an outdoors-type store that I've never heard of. It's going to open soon.

attachicon.gifThorns.JPG

attachicon.gifOutdoors.JPG]

Not sure on the bush. The store is a high end hunting and fishing supplier. Have mainly been mail order in the past. Very good quality and some hard to find items. We have used alot of the clothing and footwear on the farm. Should be a fun place to visit.

Not sure on the bush. The store is a high end hunting and fishing supplier. Have mainly been mail order in the past. Very good quality and some hard to find items. We have used alot of the clothing and footwear on the farm. Should be a fun place to visit.

Good deal. When they get it completed and opened, I'm going to head over and take a look.

So you really have no idea who Cabelas is or am I missing the joke......I would pretty much kill for one nearby I get 3 new catalogs from them every month lol.

Nah man, I'm a city guy. I don't get a chance to go hunting or fishing boating or much of anything outdoorsy. I grew up out in the country and used to do a lot of that stuff. I'd still love to. But living in Raleigh for virtually the past 23 years and the way life has evolved has stripped a lot of that stuff out. I love to go in BPS and look at all the stuff, but I haven't heard of Cabelas before. This is the first store I've seen.

Thorns.JPG

Outdoors.JPG]

Pretty sure the bush is a " trifoliate orange" . It's a hardy orange that was planted alot across the south in the old days . It's invasive and has no real value. The small oranges that it produces, are inedible by humans, but birds like them.

The 2nd pic, is an outdoorsy type shop, I prefer

Bass Proshopius species!

Nah man, I'm a city guy. I don't get a chance to go hunting or fishing boating or much of anything outdoorsy. I grew up out in the country and used to do a lot of that stuff. I'd still love to. But living in Raleigh for virtually the past 23 years and the way life has evolved has stripped a lot of that stuff out. I love to go in BPS and look at all the stuff, but I haven't heard of Cabelas before. This is the first store I've seen.

Come on down, we have a Cabelas and a BPS coming this year!

Won't the funnel being at the top inflate totals as it catches more rain than it should?

Of course, down in jshetley land, it might be a necessity to avoid the feeling of drought.

That's why the gauge is like 3-feet tall.  The extra-large funnel is offset by the greater-than-1-inch distances between the numbers on the side of the gauge where the width is relatively narrower than the opening of the funnel.  All this is done so that a person can read the gauge from a "mile" away.  (Or, so that those with poor eyesight can actually read it from a few feet away...)

SMH please tell me you are trolling Burns and Calc. Oh wait, I just realized rain falls up in Waycross.

He's totally got be trolling.  There is no other logical explanation.  Of course, trying to use logic here could be a self-defeating purpose.

I'm surprised you've never heard of Cabela's.  I'm not a hunter or a fisher, and I've heard tell of their prowess in the "outdoorsy" world.  I guess they may be located more frequently in the western half of the country, but I could be wrong.

He's totally got be trolling. There is no other logical explanation. Of course, trying to use logic here could be a self-defeating purpose.

I'm surprised you've never heard of Cabela's. I'm not a hunter or a fisher, and I've heard tell of their prowess in the "outdoorsy" world. I guess they may be located more frequently in the western half of the country, but I could be wrong.

Their headquarters are in Nebraska , as is their first store. The are basically in the upper Midwest and plains. Slowly spreading S and E. there is a store in Louisiana , but the one in Greenville was the first one in the SE, when it opened!

Archived