Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Space Weather Discussion

ApacheTrout

2 hours ago, wxeyeNH said:

Jeremy so glad you got to see this.  Wow, the weather could not have been better across the US.  Sure a few places got clouded out but all and all over 3000 miles the weather was epic.

I guess all could be summed up by this picture I saw and the photographers comments.  I saw this on facebook and it really summed up my experience in 1998.  Now we look forward to April 8 2024.  Only 6 years and 9 months away...

Blake Farnham is with Sam Ridout-Claude.

For three days and two nights I sat on top this mountain thinking of how I would capture something I'd never seen before. I had two minutes of totality, plenty of time to get all the shots I wanted. Yet when the time finally came and the sun went black, tears began to run down my face. I had never seen anything so beautiful, epic, or surreal in my life. The feeling was so overwhelming. I scrambled to change lenses, re-frame the shot, change settings, all while shaking uncontrollably with eyes full of water. Before I knew it the sun was peaking out the other side, it had felt like the whole thing lasted only seconds. This photo is one of only five I was able to capture. We drove over 2,000 miles to see a total eclipse and bring home this picture. I wish everyone could've been sitting there with me. This moment truly changed my life.

21013993_10212511717080447_9071921838330938814_o.jpg

That is an awesome shot and one hell of a photogenic landscape. I would recommend not being in New England for April 2024. We all know how cloudy it is that time of year. I wish I could go to South America in 2019.

19 minutes ago, eyewall said:

That is an awesome shot and one hell of a photogenic landscape. I would recommend not being in New England for April 2024. We all know how cloudy it is that time of year. I wish I could go to South America in 2019.

I would book a winter  (April) vacation in the Mexican resort town of Mazatlan.  It's on the Pacific side.  Almost guaranteed sunshine.  That's what we did.  Tropical vacation and a total on the beach.  Can't beat it.  I was urging my friends last week to look into booking. I was just looking at the rates of resorts there and they are incredibly low.  Of course that will change for eclipse week.   I bet after this week the resorts in that town are booking fast if they take reservations that far out,  who knows?  Lots of time to start saving your money!!

• Like 1

My eclipse chase to Casper, WY was a resounding success. There were some wispy cirrus clouds during totality, but not enough to be of any detriment to the overall experience. The corona and Bailey's beads were clearly visible. It was like dawn/dusk with a 360° sunset/rise. What an incredible, goose bump inducing experience! Certainly one that I will never forget. It was well worth the money and hassle of getting there and back (mostly back). I drove up to Casper from my motel a bit north of Denver in 3 hours and 15 minutes, a distance of about 260 miles. I-25 was busy, but was moving along close to the 80 MPH speed limit during the wee hours. I left at 1:45 am and got to Casper at 5. Good thing I left when I did because Glendo (which I avoided since I had no idea how a village of 200 was going to handle 100K+ visitors) was starting to back up onto the ramp, but not the interstate yet. About an hour or two later, traffic looked bad on I-25 near there as it was backed up onto the interstate, creating a massive bottleneck. I left Casper at 2 PM and took back roads, but traffic was bad anyway. State highway 487 had a 40 mile backup to Medicine Bow and it took me nearly 4 hours to get from Casper to Medicine Bow. US Highway 30 east was good for about 35-40 miles before another jam in Bosler. Fortunately a friendly state trooper was directing some of the traffic onto an 18 mile dirt road cutoff that got me around most of this jam. I then took I-80 east to Cheyenne from Laramie and then US 85 south back toward my motel. I-80 was clear sailing, but 85 was slow at times, however not like I-25. It took 9 hours to get back to my motel, which I don't think is too bad all things considered. The 23 hour day was well worth it!

KCPR had a 7° F temperature drop that I can definitely attest to as my viewing venue was right near the airport. The car surface became cool as well. I shot a brief cell phone video during the totality. The crowd's reaction is definitely noticeable.

For the next eclipse in 2024 I will definitely book something in totality as far in advance as possible as the drive into and out of totality can be a pain. I'm not sure how far in advance most major US hotel chains will let you book a room. A year? I'm tentatively thinking somewhere south of Dallas near Waxahachie or Ennis. Totality is about 4 minutes and 24 seconds there, and I don't want to take a chance with NNE weather in early April, which is cutoff and backdoor season. South of Dallas also has good SW-NE accessibility along the totality path in case I need to relocate because of weather. Moving within totality is easier than getting in or out of it.

• 2 weeks later...
29 minutes ago, ApacheTrout said:

And that was followed by an X9.  Top of the scale.

Largest flare of the whole solar cycle. Still several hours before the next link with SOHO is established to determine the extent and direction of any potential CME, but it looks pretty textbook. A "glancing blow" scenario seems most likely with the position of the source region.

I should research the X scale ...

many of these scales are not linear - they are logarithmic.   For example, every 10 mph > than ~ 75 equates to ~ 2 X the wind force.   Earth Quake seismology is the same...the slope is accelerating in the positive direction.   Is it the same for X classifications?  -curious 

27 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

I should research the X scale ...

many of these scales are not linear - they are logarithmic.   For example, every 10 mph > than ~ 75 equates to ~ 2 X the wind force.   Earth Quake seismology is the same...the slope is accelerating in the positive direction.   Is it the same for X classifications?  -curious 

It's logarithmic.  From NASA:

" And then come the X-class flares. Although X is the last letter, there are flares more than 10 times the power of an X1, so X-class flares can go higher than 9. The most powerful flare measured with modern methods was in 2003, during the last solar maximum, and it was so powerful that it overloaded the sensors measuring it. The sensors cut out at X28."

5 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

I'm up on a Hilltop right now looking North in the sky looks extremely bright. About 75% covered by clouds but in between the clouds its very bright

Indeed, nice backlit clouds.

Based upon radar/satellite/moon, it seems that might be all we get to see.  Pretty frustrating, we finally get the arrival timing and solar wind perfect, and then everything else works against us.