joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Possible snow->rain->snow? event, Tuesday-Thursday 3/3-5/2015

famartin

• Replies 442
  • Created
  • Last Reply

WXSIM text forecast for East Nantmeal, initialized at  8:00 AM Mar 3, 2015         _______________________________________________________________________________                                                                                           Today: Mostly cloudy in the morning, becoming dense overcast in the afternoon. A     chance of a mix of snow and sleet in the afternoon. High 35. Wind chill ranging      from 21 to 29. Wind southeast around 4 mph. Chance of precipitation 60 percent.      Precipitation (liquid equivalent) mostly less than a quarter of an inch. Snow or     ice (on ground) accumulation about an inch.                                                                                                                               Tonight: Dense overcast. A mix of sleet and freezing rain likely in the evening,     then a chance of a mix of freezing rain and rain after midnight. Low 27, but         temperatures rising after midnight. Wind chill ranging from 19 to 27. Wind south     around 8 mph. Chance of precipitation 80 percent. Precipitation (liquid              equivalent) mostly around half an inch. No ice (on ground) accumulation              expected. Above-ground freezing rain accumulation up to 0.2 inches.                                                                                                       Wednesday: Dense overcast. Rain likely in the morning, then a chance of rain in      the afternoon. High 41. Wind west around 5 mph. Chance of precipitation 70           percent. Precipitation mostly around a quarter of an inch.                                                                                                                Wednesday night: Dense overcast. Patchy light fog. A chance of a mix of rain and     snow in the evening, then a mix of snow, rain, and sleet likely after midnight.      Low 31. Wind chill ranging from 25 to 36. Wind northwest around 5 mph, gusting       to 18 mph. Chance of precipitation 80 percent. Precipitation (liquid equivalent)     mostly around half an inch. Snow or ice (on ground) accumulation 1 to 2 inches.                                                                                           Thursday: Dense overcast. Patchy light fog. Snow likely. High 33, but                temperatures falling in the afternoon. Wind chill around 24. Wind                    north-northwest around 6 mph, gusting to 18 mph. Chance of precipitation 80          percent. Precipitation (liquid equivalent) mostly around half an inch. Snow          accumulation 4 to 6 inches.                                                  

My current thinking for northern Chester, Montgomery and Bucks counties...0.5 to 1.5 inches of combined snow and sleet from mid-afternoon into early evening...changing to zr between 6 and 7 PM...then all rain by 10 PM as temps rise...the change back to sleet and snow will happen between midnight Wednesday and 2 AM on Thursday with an additional 4 to 6 inches of snow, ending by noon on Thursday.

Ray,

Here is the map and text output from the 0Z eurowx.  If you haven't already seen it would you look it over and comment?  I notice that the snowfall accumulation map shows more snow than the text. I guess they erase the snow today with the rain tomorrow.  Not sure.  I have e-mailed them a couple of times to get clarification on some issues.  I really feel they try their best to put out accurate maps.

post-884-0-19838900-1425390295_thumb.png

post-884-0-78918100-1425390763_thumb.png

Flash freeze threat tomorrow night with a lot of water on the road from heavy rain and snow melt. 

Hi Mitchell,

I guess you guys at Mount Holly will have your hands full this week.  I bet we'll see new winter storm watches going up probably tomorrow.  Definitely alerting my co-workers about today's winter weather and yep, the one for Thursday.  

This will be a wild few days. Thursday should be a wild day to see that heavy snow pile up.  Gonna be battling that stronger sun now. 

Its good that we're seeing the models coming together for this event, but we still have to wait and see how this turns out.  

Hi Mitchell,

I guess you guys at Mount Holly will have your hands full this week.  I bet we'll see new winter storm watches going up probably tomorrow.  Definitely alerting my co-workers about today's winter weather and yep, the one for Thursday.  

This will be a wild few days. Thursday should be a wild day to see that heavy snow pile up.  Gonna be battling that stronger sun now. 

Its good that we're seeing the models coming together for this event, but we still have to wait and see how this turns out.  

Yup, it hasn't snowed yet so anything could happen. Though we're getting late in the game for major changes. 

Ray,

Here is the map and text output from the 0Z eurowx.  If you haven't already seen it would you look it over and comment?  I notice that the snowfall accumulation map shows more snow than the text. I guess they erase the snow today with the rain tomorrow.  Not sure.  I have e-mailed them a couple of times to get clarification on some issues.  I really feel they try their best to put out accurate maps.

attachicon.gifeuro3-3-00.png

attachicon.gifeuro3-3-00.png

Yes the text output is much more inline with what I saw.  Why the map has so much more, I don't understand.

Archived