• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Possible snow->rain->snow? event, Tuesday-Thursday 3/3-5/2015

famartin

Folks, hang in there.  We have to watch how the models trend today.  Its easy to bail right now.  So, let's see how the models trend today and even tonight.  You know you'll be watching for the new runs later today and tonight.  

One thing we do know is there will be a lot of moisture with this setup.  

• Replies 442
  • Created
  • Last Reply

never seen so much credence given to the nam before.  It's really not a great tool to use for lp placement or qpf in any situation.  It's has some use as a tool for temp profiles but more often than not it's surface maps are horrendous.  Could it be on to something here? maybe, but unless the RGEM & Euro  takes a noticeable shift south I wouldn't put too much weight into it.  Not to mention it was as of yesterday the furthest north model and now it's the furthest south?  Hmm I wouldn't get too emotional over it just yet. 

never seen so much credence given to the nam before.  It's really not a great tool to use for lp placement or qpf in any situation.  It's has some use as a tool for temp profiles but more often than not it's surface maps are horrendous.  Could it be on to something here? maybe, but unless the RGEM & Euro  takes a noticeable shift south I wouldn't put too much weight into it.  Not to mention it was as of yesterday the furthest north model and now it's the furthest south?  Hmm I wouldn't get too emotional over it just yet. 

Well, first you have to stop and realize its not just the NAM.  GFS started sinking south late yesterday.  Now NAM is following. 

Not sure about this.  Just preparing for a possible revision downward.

Well, first you have to stop and realize its not just the NAM.  GFS started sinking south late yesterday.  Now NAM is following. 

Yes the GFS has sunk south but compared to the move the NAM has made from 12z yesterday to today it's negligible.   Not to mention the Euro is markedly north of both.   I am jsut speaking in general to people freaking out over the NAM at this point.   Should you take notice?  yes, but just leave it at that until there is more concrete evidence of a NAM like south move. 

Yes the GFS has sunk south but compared to the move the NAM has made from 12z yesterday to today it's negligible.   Not to mention the Euro is markedly north of both.   I am jsut speaking in general to people freaking out over the NAM at this point.   Should you take notice?  yes, but just leave it at that until there is more concrete evidence of a NAM like south move. 

Euro being north should not, in and of itself, mean much these days.  Not after the blizzard that wasn't.

Your low end number might barely hit.  But the top end is pretty much out of the question.  A downward revision is prolly smart.  In fact I'd chop a thrid off all the numbers from the latest mt holly map.

Euro being north should not, in and of itself, mean much these days.  Not after the blizzard that wasn't.

Yes it hasn't  been great this year, but no model has and if I am not mistaken it's still has the highest skill score.  My basic point is everything is markedly north of the NAM at this point and again it has been the most erratic model from yesterday to today so take it with a grain of salt at this juncture that's all.  Could it be right, sure it could, but would you change your forecast b/c of it at 10 AM today?  I doubt it. 

Some of the blame on that fiasco lies with the forecasters imo.  That had a one run blip of a blizzard (in PHL) against all other guidance and then it steadily backed away from that.  Not to mention from what I read that was due to a bias it has in regards to convection and lp placement, which isn't present with this setup. 

Yes it hasn't  been great this year, but no model has and if I am not mistaken it's still has the highest skill score.  My basic point is everything is markedly north of the NAM at this point and again it has been the most erratic model from yesterday to today so take it with a grain of salt at this juncture that's all.  Could it be right, sure it could, but would you change your forecast b/c of it at 10 AM today?  I doubt it. 

It hasnt exactly been erratic, its been more or less steadily trending south.  Erratic would be back and forth.

Like I said, not sure about this, but two models trending south is not good.  Will wait to see rest of guidance but preparing for a downgraded forecast is not unreasonable.

Some of the blame on that fiasco lies with the forecasters imo.  That had a one run blip of a blizzard (in PHL) against all other guidance and then it steadily backed away from that.  Not to mention from what I read that was due to a bias it has in regards to convection and lp placement, which isn't present with this setup. 

The blame lies in forecasters going solely with the Euro over all else.  The Euro had mutiple runs of a foot plus at PHL.  That's not a blip.

It hasnt exactly been erratic, its been more or less steadily trending south.  Erratic would be back and forth.

Like I said, not sure about this, but two models trending south is not good.  Will wait to see rest of guidance but preparing for a downgraded forecast is not unreasonable.

Preparing no, again I was referencing the bridge jumping.  So if northern most  model at 12z yesterday becomes the southern most at 12z today would you consider that erratic?  Obviously we need to see the entire 12z suite to see where it lies. 

Preparing no, again I was referencing the bridge jumping.  So if northern most  model at 12z yesterday becomes the southern most at 12z today would you consider that erratic?  

Remember, its been steadily trending south.  That's not erratic.  And its not the most southerly (6Z GFS was further south).

A real gem in broadcast meteorology - Joe Cioffi - Just started to follow him on Twitter.  I remember DT referring to him in his posts. Added him to my Twitter feed.  

Anyway, here's his thoughts on the NAM situation.. Boy, what he says is really true. Forecasting can be downright frustrating..

Here's what Joe said a few minutes ago - "WINTER STORM WARNING IN EFFECT FOR LONG ISLAND STATEN ISLAND AND NEW JERSEY FROM RTE 78 SOUTH..WINTER STORM WATCH FOR NYC SE NY and COASTAL CT.

What is happening on the NAM is that 2 distinct areas of precipitation are coming out. The first show comes overnight into Wednesday morning which brings anywhere from .25 to .50 inches of liquid precip to NYC and higher amounts to the south. Some of that gets lost until the cold air gets in.

The second area is during the day tomorrow and the NAM has that area only barely glancing NYC and Long Island with heavier amounts central and South Jersey and beyond. What this would mean is that you can take my map from yesterday and shift everything south by about 20 or 30 miles so the 9 inch line becomes the 6 inch line..the 6 inch becomes the 3 inch.

It should be noted that there are other NAM models that remain much further north. But this is unfortunately what forecasting has become because it seems that no matter what is going on you can turn around and find a model that conflicts. This is why sometimes this profession can be extremely frustrating.

I'm still going to wait and see what happens with the other models as they come in this morning."

RGEM doesn't look south to me in those 3 frames Ray.  Trending drier yes.  Notice the northwestern corner of Connecticut and NJ that is nearly identical on all 3 frames in regards to northern precip shield.  Semantics but I don't think that portrays a southern trend imo, but I am a hobbyist so I'll take your word for it.  

RGEM doesn't look south to me in those 3 frames Ray.  Trending drier yes.  Notice the northwestern corner of Connecticut and NJ that is nearly identical on all 3 frames in regards to northern precip shield.  Semantics but I don't think that portrays a southern trend imo, but I am a hobbyist so I'll take your word for it.  

You need to load each image exactly in place and compare.  Its there.

Archived