joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Thumpidity Dumpity or SWFiter Rainer 3-4/3-5 storm

Ginx snewx

• Replies 548
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The low level temperatures are pretty cold throughout the event. If 36 is the precedent for freezing rain like BOX suggested than GFS would be a nice little icing event. Temps don't rise higher than 33F really here on the GFS. NAM is 36F at it's peak. The GEM is actually hilarious because it almost has an all snow event. I'm tossing the GEM hard. RGEM actually sort of is majority snow here too. So I guess you have to give it some credence. 

I'm going to go 2-4" here.

Yea, standard 2-5" swfe...AWT all along. 

Can probably cut back to 2-4.

Would be 3" ish I think if it verified. 

HRRR/RAP are both pretty bullish also. I don't think it falls, but wonder if we can get to <1". That would make me feel a lot better about our chances to break it on Thursday.

I've been following both the HRRR RAP pretty extensively and comparing it to BTV WRF and HRDPS throughout this winter.

I find that NAM/BTV WRF/HRDPS are much more useful at a longer timeframe. NAM sniffed out a few features in events this winter at an early lead time. Along with those other models mentioned.

HRRR RAP are utterly useless until precip is almost entering the region or already falling. Seem to be good for short term periods of time a few hours ahead to predict banding and other small features. Just too volatile at this time frame to be useful.

WRF BTV almost seems like northern mass dryslots after the meaningful precip is pretty much done. Minimal snowpack damage? 

This is probably the time period we see the interior and northern mass take over the snowpack lead as climo heads toward spring. Coastal plain cannot sustain this snowpack deep into March without continued events. Climo clock is ticking fast.

Remarkable how every bit of potential has been minimized around here since some treid to tell me that the pattern didn't really change.

The pattern did change. I think people are confused by that statement though. It has changed, but remained a wintry pattern. No big storms, we haven't threaded any needles, and events have been minimal. This is the luck factor Scott and Will talk about. We haven't had any. But it hasn't been terrible and we have maintained frigid temperatures, massive snowpack. I would be extremely surprised if much of the region doesn't add at minumum 10" between now and actual spring. (March is fraud spring)

If you can't add to the snowpack, all you can ask for is it not melting. I'd argue it's more about records at this point in the season. Spring is coming. We just need the snow to add up to make this historical.

The pattern did change. I think people are confused by that statement though. It has changed, but remained a wintry pattern. No big storms, we haven't threaded any needles, and events have been minimal. This is the luck factor Scott and Will talk about. We haven't had any. But it hasn't been terrible and we have maintained frigid temperatures, massive snowpack. I would be extremely surprised if much of the region doesn't add at minumum 10" between now and actual spring. (March is fraud spring)

There hasn't been a single sub 980 to miss, luck had nothing to do with the atmosphere relaxing. 

Remarkable how every bit of potential has been minimized around here since some treid to tell me that the pattern didn't really change.

This sounds like a post from January 20th or before, haha. Every potential minimized except for the three week period where every potential was maximized on steroids :lol:.

This sounds like a post from January 20th or before, haha. Every potential minimized except for the three week period where every potential was maximized on steroids :lol:.

I haven't seen any big potential, mostly crappy sheared out stuff, don't even know what you guys are talking about. We haven't just missed anything. the pattern for deep storms changed that is all.

I haven't seen any big potential, mostly crappy sheared out stuff, don't even know what you guys are talking about. We haven't just missed anything. the pattern for deep storms changed that is all.

The last event could have easily been a solid warning event for many, not just a marginal one for a small sliver of CT to RI...we're not talking 20" blizzards, but there's no doubt we've seen some under-performance in the moderate potential.

The anafront had potential too, just because it ends up as a 1-3 or 3-5 strung out event doesn't mean there wasn't potential for a solid 8-12 event.

There is definitely a chaos element to snow events. You have to get the right nuances (or chaos) to break your way quite frequently. Some call that luck, others call it chaos...whatever you want to call it though, it is on a scale that is less than the longwave pattern can dictate. So while the longwave pattern shifted into a state where it was much harder to get 21" snowstorms like they were growing on trees, it didn't mean that we couldn't get some of these moderate to heavy events (like 8-12 inchers).

Bases all across Maine are 3-4 feet, thats pretty epic of course its a stats game with peeps but in reality a fantastic winter for winter sports enthusiasts

Not really, based on cocorahs reports.  Of 55 reporting today, 28 reported snow depth.  Of those, 27 had 21" or more (Skowhegan with 7.5"?) but only 8 had 30"+, 4 made the 3 ft mark, and only EPO (64"!) had more than 40.  I'm at 26", exactly the same as last year this date, also exactly the same as on Feb 1.  PWM reports 22" OG thru yesterday, BGR 50", CAR 20".  Snow maps show Ft.Kent in the 10-12" color.

Examining 850T/950T. Definitely cooler than 0z. QPF is more paltry also FWIW. 

Euro is way warmer than other guidance for Wednesday afternoon at the surface.

I think you need to quantify and qualify your diagnosis to this particular front end thread otherwise its more confusing than it already is, wed afternoon the precip is over

Archived