• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    bowsunski
    Newest Member
    bowsunski
March 2015 General disco

snowstormcanuck

Today marks two weeks of straight of no measurable precip at DTW, two weeks and counting. I have no complaints about March as it didnt just simply have snow on the ground the first two weeks, i had that surreal ice-sheened snow that even snow haters were raving over.

Also unlike to our west, we have no drought worries whatsoever. In fact snowmelt has left many fields with standing water.

THAT said...I cannot recall a more boring stretch of weather this time of year. Im sure its happened, but this is beyond boring for the weather enthusiast.

• Replies 945
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think we're going to head out around 10 tonight and see what we can see before cloud cover becomes prohibitive.  The SWPC model seems to indicate that that would be futile since the high probs of auroral viewing don't move in until after 06z, but I'm listening to their briefing from 16z now and they seem to just be generally uncertain about everything.

Also, despite their model showing the view line only scraping the northern U.S., they mention the potential for auroral viewing as far south as the central U.S., so I'm not sure what the discrepancy is, or if I'm not interpreting the model output correctly.

I just finished listening to the rest of this morning's press conference.  Apparently the "view line" is the line at which the auroral activity stops directly overhead, but aurorae are visible for "several hundred to perhaps 1000 km" south of it.  So I was in fact misinterpreting the model output.

Their model has a flare-up between 06z and 07z, and then the best action is after that leading right into sunrise.  So now we just need to watch clouds...

Today marks two weeks of straight of no measurable precip at DTW, two weeks and counting. I have no complaints about March as it didnt just simply have snow on the ground the first two weeks, i had that surreal ice-sheened snow that even snow haters were raving over.

Also unlike to our west, we have no drought worries whatsoever. In fact snowmelt has left many fields with standing water.

THAT said...I cannot recall a more boring stretch of weather this time of year. Im sure its happened, but this is beyond boring for the weather enthusiast.

Same here, everything's sodden. Likely since we've been cloudier/cooler than areas further west. But the drought concerns are more on a going forward basis, since we've been locked into a dry pattern for a good while now. 

The Bz has crept back up to around -6 compared to hovering in the -17 to -20 range most of the day.  Bt has dropped as well.  Maybe only temporary, but could be a sign the auroras are crapping out a bit.  Will probably head out for awhile and see what happens.  

Do you have a moment to explain what the Bz and Bt are?  Thanks!

I've been posting some stats about the dry weather in the Chicago record watch thread but haven't checked Detroit.  Do you happen to know what the record is for dry stretches at this time of year or all-time?

Do you have a moment to explain what the Bz and Bt are?  Thanks!

Bt is a good measure of the strength of the magnetic field.  So a Bt above 15 is usually pretty good.  Above 20-25 even better.  

The Bz is basically a measure of where the magnetic field is.  We want to see the Bz south in our latitudes.  A Bz less than -10 is usually pretty decent, but down to -20 like earlier that's real good.  The Bz can never exceed the Bt, as the Bt is a measure of the total magnetic field strength.

EDIT:  Here's a nice site to see the latest parameters.  Updates every minute or two.  

http://www.spacew.com/plots.php

EDIT2: Also the Kp index is sort of helpful.  We usually want to see the Kp index around 7 for us to see anything this far south.  A 6 would do okay for MN and WI.  Earlier today the Kp was 8-9, which is extremely strong/rare, and probably meant we had auroras pretty far south during the day today.

Bt is a good measure of the strength of the magnetic field.  So a Bt above 15 is usually pretty good.  Above 20-25 even better.  

The Bz is basically a measure of where the magnetic field is.  We want to see the Bz south in our latitudes.  A Bz less than -10 is usually pretty decent, but down to -20 like earlier that's real good.  The Bz can never exceed the Bt, as the Bt is a measure of the total magnetic field strength.

EDIT:  Here's a nice site to see the latest parameters.  Updates every minute or two.  

http://www.spacew.com/plots.php

EDIT2: Also the Kp index is sort of helpful.  We usually want to see the Kp index around 7 for us to see anything this far south.  A 6 would do okay for MN and WI.  Earlier today the Kp was 8-9, which is extremely strong/rare, and probably meant we had auroras pretty far south during the day today.

Thanks!

So from what I see now, the Kp is an 8 (came back up from 7 earlier), but the Bt and Bz are both becoming less favorable.  So which index "wins"?

Several of the regional 00z RAOBs had extreme mid level dry air...like dewpoints near or less than -60C with RH of 1%.  Very impressive stuff...and not even with a real arctic airmass.

Case in point.  You know it's dry when the dewpoint trace runs off the skew-T

post-14-0-81235700-1426642705_thumb.gif

Temperature really tanked after sunset tonight.

I've only seen the Aurora here really good twice. Maybe five other times viewing was muted out by clouds or the amount of light pollution was limiting the amount of color showing in the sky. I did see it once over Lake Superior at the western end and it was out of this world! The red was so bright the water looked like wine or blood!

Northern Lights are out here in Cleveland. I went down to Lake Erie and there was a subtle green strip oscillating just above the lake's horizon. Pretty impressive to see them this far south and we lucked out having a crisp clear night.

Thanks!

So from what I see now, the Kp is an 8 (came back up from 7 earlier), but the Bt and Bz are both becoming less favorable.  So which index "wins"?

To me it seems the Kp lags behind a bit and seems to be some sort of an average parameter over the course of the last hour or two.  That's why if there's a storm going on it's best to pay attention to the Bt and Bz values, as they're updated every minute or two.  The satellites that measure those are very far out in space, and I've heard there's about a half hour delay between when the Bt/Bz values change, and when that change is seen here on Earth.  Depends on the velocity of the charged particles, which varies depending on the CME.  

I got some great shots tonight.  Shot a time lapse for over an hour.  Gonna take quite awhile to process all these RAW files.  Gonna try to get a pic up here in the near future.  Probably won't compile time lapse till tomorrow night.

Temperature really tanked after sunset tonight.

I've only seen the Aurora here really good twice. Maybe five other times viewing was muted out by clouds or the amount of light pollution was limiting the amount of color showing in the sky. I did see it once over Lake Superior at the western end and it was out of this world! The red was so bright the water looked like wine or blood!

I forgot my damn hat, so I was freezing out there tonight.  Was well worth it though.  Hell of a show.

I forgot my damn hat, so I was freezing out there tonight.  Was well worth it though.  Hell of a show.

Lot of reports coming in from southern WI. Many people saying they were low on the horizon. I have not noticed them here yet. Best place around here to view them is over the lake where it's the darkest.

Nothing visible as far as I can tell here in the middle of Middlesex Co. My apt. faces north so I was checking the window from time to time.

it peaked about 10pm and lasted mabye 10 minutes. started out a large white halo to the north around 930, got higher, turned green, danced around, then retreated.

Nice photo, Cyclone.  Couldn't see anything down here near Indy when I went out earlier this evening.  Came back to surf the web and remembered that today March 18th is the 90th anniversary of the TriState tornado.   Severe season will probably start with a bang when the pattern changes.

Excellent photos Joel!  First your 6" snow drought, now your aurora drought... you're knockin' em' down now!

And I also have to say thank you for explaining some stuff to me tonight!

We went out to Beverly Shores and saw a faint aurora north over Lake Michigan.  I had never seen one with the naked eye, so I was thrilled, even though in reality it wasn't much.  A few folks with me had professional cameras and took some great photos that we could see of the green aurora, the stars above, Chicago in the distance, and multi-story ice dunes along the shore, all in the same shot.  Hopefully I can share some with you guys tomorrow!

I disagree as we have had a >2" departure for precip since the beginning of the year.  While we don't have immediate affects due to this March melt.  We do have drought worries here too.  I guess I see it differently as I live surrounded by farms, orchards and lakes as opposed to manicured lawn 1/4 acre lots.  I will agree that right now we are 'ok' but this departure does mean a lot if it continues and grows in April!  Hopefully it will not and storms systems will begin soon to hit this area soon but I would not be surprised to see some parts of MI in Yellow the April Drought Report.

Archived