amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
March 2015 General disco

snowstormcanuck

• Replies 945
  • Created
  • Last Reply

82 would be very close to the record for the day at MLI, which is 81 (1945 and 2012).  Record for Des Moines is 84 in 2012.

Gonna be fun to watch.  The only negative I see at this point is early morning temps could be starting out in the upper 30s in spots, so it may take awhile to achieve the beneficial mixing that cashes in on those robust H8 temps.  I see no reason why we can't mix up to at least the 850mb layer despite what the forecast soundings show.  If the forecast soundings end up being correct I'd love to know what prevented the mixing layer from reaching that layer.  

Gonna be fun to watch.  The only negative I see at this point is early morning temps could be starting out in the upper 30s in spots, so it may take awhile to achieve the beneficial mixing that cashes in on those robust H8 temps.  I see no reason why we can't mix up to at least the 850mb layer despite what the forecast soundings show.  If the forecast soundings end up being correct I'd love to know what prevented the mixing layer from reaching that layer.  

Yeah gonna be a big diurnal swing.  I'm rooting for the records to be broken...would be cool to see Morch daily records go down out there...of course much shorter duration this time. 

I edited my post about the records for March 16 as the original version was incorrect.

RAP and HRRR pretty much show what all out mixing would look like....somehow we manage lower 80's with a fairly thick cirrus deck overhead.

Clouds and/or rising dewpoints are gonna keep temps in check today. Should see things clear up this afternoon but might be too late. Still can't complain about the run we're having. Hope the GFS and its -20C 850mb temps for late next week are wrong. Gonna be tough to go back to that.

Best 850s AOA 20C will line up along the 20 corridor in IA tomorrow at max heating.  So from around Waterloo back through Storm Lake, and to the Sioux City (SUX) area look to get maxed out.  

For specific site forecast temps I'm sticking with 81 here, 82 at MLI and CID, 85 at DSM, 87 ALO, 91 at Storm Lake (SLB) and also at SUX.  Probably upper 80s for the Omaha area.

4km NAM 850s at max heating tomorrow.  Pretty impressive for mid March.

t85w34.gif

12z NAM/GFS forecast 850 mb temperatures for DVN and ILX from 00z Mon to 00z Tue

DVN:

GFS @ 00z Mon: 11.6C

NAM @ 00z Mon: 14.8C

GFS @ 12z Mon: 14.5C

NAM @ 12z Mon: 13.4C

GFS @ 00z Tue:  16.0C

NAM @ 00z Tue:  18.1C

ILX:

GFS @ 00z Mon: 13.9C

NAM @ 00z Mon: 14.3C

GFS @ 12z Mon: 13.7C

NAM @ 12z Mon: 12.1C

NAM @ 00z Tue:  16.8C

12z NAM/GFS forecast 850 mb temperatures for DVN and ILX from 00z Mon to 00z Tue

DVN:

GFS @ 00z Mon: 11.6C

NAM @ 00z Mon: 14.8C

GFS @ 12z Mon: 14.5C

NAM @ 12z Mon: 13.4C

NAM @ 00z Tue:  18.1C

ILX:

GFS @ 00z Mon: 13.9C

NAM @ 00z Mon: 14.3C

GFS @ 12z Mon: 13.7C

NAM @ 12z Mon: 12.1C

NAM @ 00z Tue:  16.8C

Looks like DVN has a good chance to set a new 850 temp max for March.  

00z Euro is going to bust pretty hard on temps out in the Plains today.  It had max temps in the mid 70s for most of SD, NE, and northwest IA.  Temps already approaching that 4-5hrs before max heating.  RAP and HRRR much more in line with reality, and shows mid 80s out there later today.  

Looks like DVN has a good chance to set a new 850 temp max for March.  

00z Euro is going to bust pretty hard on temps out in the Plains today.  It had max temps in the mid 70s for most of SD, NE, and northwest IA.  Temps already approaching that 4-5hrs before max heating.  RAP and HRRR much more in line with reality, and shows mid 80s out there later today.  

Looking forward to seeing what the RAP and HRRR spit out for tomorrow.  Seems like they sometimes they go a little overboard with mixing but maybe they will do a better job capturing the overall trend.

We've lost our sun late this morning due to a shield of thick cirrus spilling down from the nw.  The Euro also shows some cirrus spilling down over the northeast half of Iowa and northern Illinois on Monday.  That could hold us back by a few degrees.

The Euro is way over-doing the cloud cover as we approach it's 18z forecast for today.  Showing way too many clouds out over the Plains, and way to thick/widespread cloud cover over IA.  The 4km NAM looks much more in line with what's going on today, and shows tomorrow as being fairly clear.  Wouldn't be surprised to see some thin patches of cirrus float over the northeast half of IA tomorrow, but don't think it will be enough to have much of an impact on temps.

Looking forward to seeing what the RAP and HRRR spit out for tomorrow.  Seems like they sometimes they go a little overboard with mixing but maybe they will do a better job capturing the overall trend.

Yep.  Definitely gonna pay attention to how well they do for today, and then we'll have a good idea as we head into tomorrow morning.  

Up to 60 here, and 62 at MLI.  Temps have already risen over 30 degrees since around 8am.  

The Euro is way over-doing the cloud cover as we approach it's 18z forecast for today.  Showing way too many clouds out over the Plains, and way to thick/widespread cloud cover over IA.  The 4km NAM looks much more in line with what's going on today, and shows tomorrow as being fairly clear.  Wouldn't be surprised to see some thin patches of cirrus float over the northeast half of IA tomorrow, but don't think it will be enough to have much of an impact on temps.

Over here in Iowa the clouds are pretty solid.  We only rose 2 degrees last hour.

sitting at 39 this afternoon, I thought it was going to be warmer before the cool down the rest of the week.  Noticed, and blasted my first chipmunk of the season.  Hated to off the little booger, but  like a lot of homes in a remote location, this one sat empty and on the market for 2 years and the little turds took over.  Spent all of Autumn dwindling down the population but they went into hibernation before I could finish.  

Still a beautiful day and the drains off the house are dripping once again as the roof melt continues.

Up to 64 here.  Some patches of cirrus floating over from time to time, but WAA is overcoming the lack of total sunshine.  MLI also at 64.  They have a shot at 70, but will probably fall a bit short.  

Temps already pushing 80 out of parts of SD and NE, and they're an hour behind compared to the central/eastern MW.  NAM/GFS/Euro busting hard out there today.  

Up to 64 here.  Some patches of cirrus floating over from time to time, but WAA is overcoming the lack of total sunshine.  MLI also at 64.  They have a shot at 70, but will probably fall a bit short.  

Temps already pushing 80 out of parts of SD and NE, and they're an hour behind compared to the central/eastern MW.  NAM/GFS/Euro busting hard out there today.  

Here's what the 15z RAP had for 18z compared to reality.  Certainly doing a better job.

post-14-0-61008100-1426445238_thumb.png

post-14-0-09718800-1426445245_thumb.png

Temps struggling as expected but based on satellite trends still think a late rally is in store.

The ABR sounding this morning had a pretty ideal look for maximized mixing. This is probably what I'd expect across NE, IA and maybe into W IL tomorrow.

post-7208-142644637648.jpg

Sent from my iPhone

Archived