• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
March 2015 General disco

snowstormcanuck

Temps across parts of Iowa are struggling a bit because of the thick cirrus shield.  Waterloo was supposed to reach the upper 60s, but they are still stuck on 59.  Cedar Rapids is stuck in the low 60s after hitting 57 by 11am.  The sun has only briefly peeked out here a few times over the last few hours.

This is the first windy day we've had during the current warm stretch.  Hopefully, it'll really help dry out the soil so I can walk through the yard without squishing and getting mud all over my shoes.

• Replies 945
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We peaked at 66 awhile ago, and with thicker cirrus overhead that coud be it.  Still could eek out another degree or two with the continuing WAA regime, and possible thin spots moving over from time to time.  We won't have issues with clouds tomorrow, and with the warmer start, very warm thermal profiles, and some compressional heating with the incoming surface front I'm still feeling confident about our first 80 degree day.  

18z NAM forecast sounding for the QC at 21z tomorrow.  Shows ridiculously shallow mixing, with surface dews in the mid to upper 40s lol.  Yeah, that's not gonna happen.  Any moisture that advects in later tonight, or early tomorrow will be very shallow, as the source region just off the surface is from the very dry central Plains.  We should easily mix out the surface layer, and tap into that large wedge of dry/warm air above 900mb.  The low-level thermal profile will be considerably more slanted in the other direction compared to what's shown here.  

18_NAM_027_41.49,-90.38_skewt_SB.gif

18z NAM forecast sounding for the QC at 21z tomorrow.  Shows ridiculously shallow mixing, with surface dews in the mid to upper 40s lol.  Yeah, that's not gonna happen.  Any moisture that advects in later tonight, or early tomorrow will be very shallow, as the source region just off the surface is from the very dry central Plains.  We should easily mix out the surface layer, and tap into that large wedge of dry/warm air above 900mb.  The low-level thermal profile will be considerably more slanted in the other direction compared to what's shown here.  

You know,  it is 7.5C at 700mb (10,000 ft above sea level) right now in Wyoming. That could be almost 37.5C if compressed to sea level!

Haha, don't worry I was looking at that earlier too lol.  Tip of the hat to Thundersnow.

MLI ended up topping out at 69.  Their low this morning was 26, so a nice 43 degree rise.  Tomorrow morning's temp should start out a good 11-14 degrees warmer than today.  DVN mentioned lighter surface winds than today in the latest disco, but from what I've seen on the models the winds will be nearly identical to today for the DVN cwa.  The main core of surface winds (which was placed out in central Iowa today) will be a bit weaker tomorrow, but that won't matter here.  

Haha, don't worry I was looking at that earlier too lol.  Tip of the hat to Thundersnow.

MLI ended up topping out at 69.  Their low this morning was 26, so a nice 43 degree rise.  Tomorrow morning's temp should start out a good 11-14 degrees warmer than today.  DVN mentioned lighter surface winds than today in the latest disco, but from what I've seen on the models the winds will be nearly identical to today for the DVN cwa.  The main core of surface winds (which was placed out in central Iowa today) will be a bit weaker tomorrow, but that won't matter here.  

lol I was kinda embarrassed to post it, but I think it may be on the right track as far as the widespread 80s in IA and those readings possibly making it into IL.  I basically agree with all of your thoughts for tomorrow.

snow depth season coming to an impressive early end this year.  Even MQT seems impressed by it:

TEMPS
WILL LIKELY END UP AT OR JUST ABOVE NORMAL FOR THE WEEK AND ON THE
DAYS WITH PLENTY OF SUNSHINE WE WILL CONTINUE TO MELT SOME SNOW.
LATEST SNOW DEPTHS ARE LOWEST OVER THE SCENTRAL WITH A TRACE TO NO
SNOW AT MENOMINEE AND HIGHEST AT AROUND 40 INCHES OVER THE HIGHER
TERRAIN NW OF NEGAUNEE AND ALSO IN THE GRAND MARAIS AREA. AROUND 2
FEET OF SNOW OVER THE HIGHER TERRAIN OF THE KEWEENAW AND OTHER AREAS
OF NCENTRAL UPPER MI. 5 TO 12 INCHES ELSEWHERE W OF A LINE FROM
CRYSTAL FALLS TO MICHIGAMME AND FROM ESCANABA TO MANISTIQUE.
SHORELINE AREAS HAVE QUITE A BIT LESS SNOW THAN JUST INLAND.

not a ton of melt today and depth is hanging around 30" due to a hard freeze up last night.

Looks like the Eastern UP will be the last areas of snow in a few weeks.  I'm predicting mine gone by mid April.  Interesting tho, I went into Marquette today and by the shore, lots of grass in yards but mainly a few inches left.  Huge difference up my way.  I don't mind the zonal flow, as it keeps things pretty mild, but some "weather" would be nice too. A little jealous of the temps in s part of the sub.

Ignoring the little bit of an inversion that has developed with the onset of nocturnal cooling, OAX mixed to around 800 mb.  TOP mixed to around 850 mb.

attachicon.gifOAX.gif

attachicon.gifTOP.gif

Big difference between those actual soundings and what the models forecast, as we expected.  Here's what the 12z NAM forecast at those two sites.  Did a horrific job on BL mixing.

OAX area

2vvtao5.jpg

TOP area
20j0m00.jpg

Archived