joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Freeze to Thaw, Winter Wx, Feb. 20th-21st, 2015

Windspeed

• Replies 344
  • Created
  • Last Reply

MRX didn't change to a warning yet, I guess they'll hold off until tomorrow morning. Mainly because they are going with the Euro and not the NAM/GFS, thus bringing in precip later in the night.

They bumped up my snow totals in gate city a little bit, now they say 1-2 inches friday night, 2-4 inches of snow, .1 of FRZ rain, saturday before 1.  So 3-6 inches of snow .10 inches of Frz, hmmm that's not grounds for a winter storm

MRX didn't change to a warning yet, I guess they'll hold off until tomorrow morning. Mainly because they are going with the Euro and not the NAM/GFS, thus bringing in precip later in the night.

Euro has been on a hot streak. But I bet moisture pushes out ahead. I felt like the NAM handled precip onset and surface freezing line well for the last storm.

18z NAM meteograms show:

TYS:

Snow - trace

Ice - .44

Sleet - .35

TRI:

Snow - 7.2

Ice - .23

Sleet - trace

CSV:

Snow - .7

Ice - .81

Sleet - .5

CHA:

Snow - trace

Ice - .08

Sleet - .5

BNA:

Snow - .4

Ice - .35

Sleet - .2

MEM:

Snow - none

Ice - .49

Sleet - .14

Thanks for posting these.  That would be quite the winter storm for the Tri-Cities.  With the Euro not really on board to that extent, it's hard to go all in on it, but the potential is fun.

One thought I have is the initial thump of precipitation for east TN being mostly frozen, and then going to light rain or drizzle until the main low comes through.  Might help parts of northeast TN hold onto snow on the ground if it happens that way.

I'm not going to crack double digits. The sun is now going behind the mountain. It's exceedingly rare to stay under 10 degrees at any point here. Let alone for mid to late February.

They mentioned in their comments that criteria might be met...

MRX comments....

OTHERWISE...ADJUSTED SNOW AND ICE AMOUNTS SLIGHTLY TO SHOW MORE SNOW

NORTH OF I-40 AND JUST A LITTLE MORE ICE ACCUMULATION FOR SE TN...

ALL IN LINE WITH NEIGHBORING NWS OFFICES AND WWD GRPAHICS. WINTER

STORM WATCH WAS EXPANDED NE TO INCLUDE NE TN AND SW VA...WITH A

LATER STARTING AND ENDING TIME TO MESH WITH JKL/RLX/RNK WATCH

TIMING. THE POTENTIAL IS CERTAINLY THERE TO GET WARNING AMOUNTS OF

ICE OR SNOW BEFORE THE CHANGE TO RAIN OCCURS...

I can't imagine how the ground will look here if we get .5+ ZR on top of the snow/sleet we have and another inch or two we may get. MRX seems to be downplaying ice amounts here compared to what the models are showing. It's usually very hard to scour out cold air here, especially such extreme cold. They aren't committing to any type of accumulation in the watch, just saying that a significant amount is possible.

Normally their terms are:

Light: 1-3 inches of snow/up to .10 ice

Moderate: 2-4 inches of snow/ up to .25 ice

Significant: 4+ inches of snow/.25+ ice

I guess 3-5 inches of snow here per my current forecast with not a lot of ice. I fear MRX may be heavy on the snow and underestimating the ice but they are the pros. 

FRIDAY...MOSTLY CLOUDY. A CHANCE OF SNOW EARLY IN THE AFTERNOON.
SNOW LIKELY LATE IN THE AFTERNOON. SNOW ACCUMULATION UP TO
1 INCH. HIGH 24. SOUTH WINDS 10 MPH OR LESS. CHANCE
OF SNOW 60 PERCENT.
.FRIDAY NIGHT...SNOW IN THE EVENING...THEN SNOW...LIGHT SLEET AND
LIGHT FREEZING RAIN AFTER 1 AM. BRISK. NOT AS COLD. SNOW AND
SLEET ACCUMULATION OF 2 TO 4 INCHES POSSIBLE. ICE ACCUMULATION OF
UP TO ONE TENTH OF AN INCH. NEAR STEADY TEMPERATURE AROUND
23. SOUTH WINDS 10 TO 20 MPH. CHANCE OF PRECIPITATION NEAR 100
PERCENT.
.SATURDAY...LIGHT FREEZING RAIN...VERY LIGHT SLEET...RAIN AND A
CHANCE OF SNOW IN THE MORNING...THEN RAIN IN THE AFTERNOON.
BRISK. NOT AS COLD. LIGHT SNOW AND ICE ACCUMULATION POSSIBLE.
HIGH 39. SOUTH WINDS 10 TO 20 MPH.
CHANCE OF PRECIPITATION NEAR 100 PERCENT.

Anyone have UKMET or Canadian?

A visual. I wanted to provide this because this seems to show the snow totals are only limited by the trajectory of the precipitation.  Wherever that "tongue" of heavier qpf goes is likely where the bigger snow totals will be in the state of TN. It matches up very well.  Graphics courtesy of Weatherbell. I highly recommend their site and will gladly give them a plug for their model suite.

post-1186-0-63952200-1424382791_thumb.pn

post-1186-0-65936400-1424382874_thumb.pn

A visual. I wanted to provide this because this seems to show the snow totals are only limited by the trajectory of the precipitation.  Wherever that "tongue" of heavier qpf goes is likely where the bigger snow totals will be in the state of TN. It matches up very well.  Graphics courtesy of Weatherbell. I highly recommend their site and will gladly give them a plug for their model suite.

Excellent post. Interesting to see the NAM trend south today. What are the trends on the other models?

Excellent post. Interesting to see the NAM trend south today. What are the trends on the other models?

Someone else will have to tackle that question.  I have been swamped today and haven't had time to look.  I think most modeling has slipped to the south and east a bit with the low pressure and track.  Maybe in response to the models now seeing the dense cold air??

15z SREF Snow:

cb7KatK.gif

The SREF plume mean snow for TRI is about 3 inches.  As you go up I-81 the means ramp up quickly, as that map sho

SREF and NAM couldn't possibly be on further ends of the playing field...this will be super interesting to see.  The synoptics of this event make it kind of rare so iI guess it shouldn't suprise me that snow totals are going to be all over the place for this.  As bad as I would love to see the NAM win out, it just looks too freaky

Someone else will have to tackle that question.  I have been swamped today and haven't had time to look.  I think most modeling has slipped to the south and east a bit with the low pressure and track.  Maybe in response to the models now seeing the dense cold air??

24 hrs ago the NAM shifted E the GFS SE

This looks to be a very minor event down here if the NAM and GFS are correct. We get a lull in the precip after getting about 1 inch of snow, then when it resumes, it is just plain rain with maybe an hour of ZR. Will probably cause a headache for the afternoon rush, but as long as it doesn't trend south, I can't see verifying a warning down here for snow or ice.

I don't know how much further it can go, but the GFS at 18z is about 200 miles S and E of where it was at 00z last night.

Last night it went from N Texas, Oklahoma, far NW Arkansas. 18z goes from SE Arkansas up through Middle TN into central Kentucky.

Archived