• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
What do past weather analogues & present weather models predict for the future weather: Part II - Rest of February into Spring

wxhstn74

I may not be the first to say this, but one would have to suspect this spring and summer could turn fiercely hot and dry in the Midwest (GL OV MA and NE also) and plains states as the enormous warmth of the west coast ridge translates east. I don't anticipate much if any retrogression involved in this pattern, and both 1934 and 1936 had extremely cold Febs in the Great Lakes, Ohio valley and Midwest. Hopefully better ag practices will prevent a dust bowl scenario but I believe temperatures may almost match those exceptional summers where the anomalous warmth began in May, would expect it to remain cool to near normal until late April in the Midwest with April perhaps seeing the stronger warming edge closer into IA-MO-wIL at times.

I may not be the first to say this, but one would have to suspect this spring and summer could turn fiercely hot and dry in the Midwest (GL OV MA and NE also) and plains states as the enormous warmth of the west coast ridge translates east. I don't anticipate much if any retrogression involved in this pattern, and both 1934 and 1936 had extremely cold Febs in the Great Lakes, Ohio valley and Midwest. Hopefully better ag practices will prevent a dust bowl scenario but I believe temperatures may almost match those exceptional summers where the anomalous warmth began in May, would expect it to remain cool to near normal until late April in the Midwest with April perhaps seeing the stronger warming edge closer into IA-MO-wIL at times.

What besides anecdotal evidence do you have to support this? There are other years with very cold Februarys in the region that played out nothing like 1934 and 1936.

CPC outlook is calling for drought development in the upper Midwest, and of course there's the ongoing drought farther west.  I guess the question is whether we can get out of this regime and get the ridging to persist in this part of the country as we get into the warmer months.  It almost seems impossible at this point.  Certainly the dry/warm anomalies have been building out west.

CPC outlook is calling for drought development in the upper Midwest, and of course there's the ongoing drought farther west.  I guess the question is whether we can get out of this regime and get the ridging to persist in this part of the country as we get into the warmer months.  It almost seems impossible at this point.  Certainly the dry/warm anomalies have been building out west.

If anything I would expect a retrogression with the western ridge rather than a progression, which is what he seems to expect. That has been the cycle as of late as forcing shifts between different areas in the Pacific.

I'll say this...I think Roger was the first one to call for something like 1930s type heat back in 2012, and by God, it happened.  I'll be impressed if he hits.

Once the death ridge started setting up in March, it was clear that ugliness was going to follow. That winter paved the way for the rest of that year.

Anyone know what the ENSO state was in 1934 and 1936?  Curious how it compares to now. 

Some models have Nino strengthening into the summer months, which would not be unprecedented.

1934 Mod Nina winter to cool neutral summer

1936 warm neutral winter to to a neutral summer

You're getting your hopes up a little too high right now. :lol:

I could see this as a precursor to hot dry summer. With all the crazy weather patterns as of late I don't think any of us could totally rule out Rogers idea. It makes great sense to me given the pattern developing to the west. As winter develops into spring cold looks to be king from there it would be hard to deny the cold continuing.  But, if there was to be a shift to a dry blow torch summer I have a feeling the record patterns of the past few seasons would not end....

I agree with Alek.

Weve had two summers in a row with autumn-like evenings during the dog days. Take out the 5-day heatwave in July 2013 and there has virtually been no heat.

I will be amazed if we can pull off a 3rd straight comfortable summer where I can remember more days where the older folks were wearing sweatshirts on a summer night than I can kids playing in the pool lol.

But then again, this cold pattern we have been locked into for a few years now just doesnt want to leave....so who knows? ;)

Alek--------> <-------RogerS.

bookmarked

rooting for Roger's forecast....  Damn, at some point this misery has to end.  It seems like winter has been going for 2 years straight.

If you want real misery, look no further than the summer of 1936. Hideous heat in the Midwest, Lakes and northeast, including Ontario. Toronto hit 104F three days straight. Many died. More people die of heat than cold.

Archived