joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 16-17 2015 Snowfall Observations

Rtd208

• Replies 455
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Moderate snow now - big gorgeous dendrites falling - looks like 1/4" on the ground and radar has filled in very nicely.  Will go out for a walk shortly and measure.  

Holy crap, these are possibly the most gorgeous dendrites I've ever seen.  This must be at least 20:1 ratio snow.  I kid you not.  You can see the flakes layering perfectly.  We have 1/2" of new snow on the ground over the last 20 minutes or so of moderate snow - and I mean barely moderate from a visibility perspective, which corroborates the 20:1 guesstimate, as there's no way this looks like 1.5" per hour snowfall by visibility.  Gotta get a camera one of these days and figure out how to post pics.  

In Port Jeff I'm still Waiting For Godot...I mean the snow...I mean...what do I mean?...well, the temp here is 18....

<that was fortuitous>

Holy crap, these are possibly the most gorgeous dendrites I've ever seen.  This must be at least 20:1 ratio snow.  I kid you not.  You can see the flakes layering perfectly.  We have 1/2" of new snow on the ground over the last 20 minutes or so of moderate snow - and I mean barely moderate from a visibility perspective, which corroborates the 20:1 guesstimate, as there's no way this looks like 1.5" per hour snowfall by visibility.  Gotta get a camera one of these days and figure out how to post pics.  

1" of new snow on the ground as of 2 am - that's basically 1.33"/hour with visibility never less than a half mile.  Has to be 20:1 ratio snow, as it's like cotton candy.  I have to say, while I am still an avid believer in reporting snow mass or LE instead of depth,as mass/LE is far more relevant wrt/impact, 20:1 snow is pretty freakin' awesome to look at. Looks like the southern edge of the moderate snowfall is about to go past us, ending the good snow - hopefully that next band around 195 will make it up here soon or that we'll get backbuilding from the west.  Also, I need to get at least 2-3 hours of sleep, lol, as I have an all day meeting tomorrow with two of my groups at work and dozing off won't go over well.  

In Port Jeff I'm still Waiting For Godot...I mean the snow...I mean...what do I mean?...well, the temp here is 18....

<that was fortuitous>

There was a winter in our lifetime with a low of 19 . Think how much different things at this winter. Someone I the northern hemi is torching for us right now

Think how much different things at this winter

I don't think I can do that Long Beach...as you know, I *never* engage in philosophical musings...lol.

1" of new snow on the ground as of 2 am - that's basically 1.33"/hour with visibility never less than a half mile.  Has to be 20:1 ratio snow, as it's like cotton candy.  I have to say, while I am still an avid believer in reporting snow mass or LE instead of depth,as mass/LE is far more relevant wrt/impact, 20:1 snow is pretty freakin' awesome to look at. Looks like the southern edge of the moderate snowfall is about to go past us, ending the good snow - hopefully that next band around 195 will make it up here soon or that we'll get backbuilding from the west.  Also, I need to get at least 2-3 hours of sleep, lol, as I have an all day meeting tomorrow with two of my groups at work and dozing off won't go over well.  

1" as of 2am here as well. It looked as if that band was gonna pass to our north soon, but I see radar filled in. It looks fantastic. We're gonna do well in Middlesex county ... looks as if we'll be on the high end of a 2 to 4 inch call.

1" here as well. It looked as if that band was gonna pass to our north soon, but I see radar filled in. It looks fantastic. We're gonna do well in Middlesex county ... looks as if we'll be on the high end of a 2 to 4 inch call.

Agreed 3-4 some 5's 6's maybe  195 - 78; more south

Backbuilding FTW!  10 minutes after the good band passed to my north, leaving a 30-40 mile "hole" in the radar down to the next decent looking band around 195, the radar all around us suddenly filled in and I'm back in moderate snow; should easily get to 2" via this band. 

Archived