Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
OBS: Snow Monday night/Tuesday 2/16-17/2015

famartin

• Replies 446
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not to put a damper on things but the back edge precip out by Reading is shrinking rather quick...unless something else forms.

I understand - reality must eventually intrude....but with this event I do feel like (in this area at least) we have finally reached the promised land, winter weather wise. Yes!!! Gonna be pretty out there in the morning :-).

Delaware-philadelphia-eastern chester-eastern montgomery- lower bucks- including the cities of...Media...Philadelphia...West chester... kennett square...Norristown...Lansdale...Morrisville...Doylestown 440 AM EST tue feb 17 2015

...Winter storm warning in effect until 10 AM EST this morning...

The national weather service in mount holly has issued a winter storm warning for snow...For southeastern pennsylvania including philadelphia and its nearby southwestern through northwestern suburbs...Which is in effect until 10 AM EST this morning. This warning replaces the previously issued winter weather advisory.

* Locations...Philadelphia area including its nearby southwestern through western...Northwestern and northern suburbs.

* Snow accumulations...4 to 8 inches.

* Timing...Fluffy snow at varying rates will taper to flurries between 8 AM and 10 AM.

* Visibilities...One half mile at times.

* Temperatures...Mainly in the teens in snow this morning.

* Winds...North 5 to 10 mph.

* Impacts...This mornings commute will much slower than normal as cleanup efforts are underway with temperatures still in the teens.

Precautionary/preparedness actions...

A winter storm warning means significant AMounts of snow... sleet...And ice are expected or occurring. Strong winds are also possible. This will make travel very hazardous or impossible.

WWUS41 KPHI 170940

WSWPHI

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE MOUNT HOLLY NJ

440 AM EST TUE FEB 17 2015

...A SIGNIFICANT SNOWFALL WILL END LATER THIS MORNING TO BE FOLLOWED

BY A SHORT PERIOD OF ACCUMULATING SNOW SQUALLS LATE WEDNESDAY THEN

BITTER NEAR RECORD COLD THURSDAY INTO SATURDAY MORNING...

.A WEEK OF HIGH IMPACT WINTER WEATHER IS IN PROGRESS. THIS MORNINGS

SNOW STORM ENDS BY FORENOON. WE CAN THEN EXPECT A SHORT PERIOD OF

UP TO 2 INCH SNOW SQUALLS LATE WEDNESDAY. THIS WILL BE FOLLOWED BY

FRIDAY WITH POSSIBLY THE COLDEST PHILADELPHIA WEATHER SINCE JANUARY

1994. BELIEVE IT OR NOT...SOME SNOW TO RAIN OR ICE IS OUTLOOKED

FOR NEXT WEEKEND.

WWUS41 KPHI 170940

WSWPHI

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE MOUNT HOLLY NJ

440 AM EST TUE FEB 17 2015

...A SIGNIFICANT SNOWFALL WILL END LATER THIS MORNING TO BE FOLLOWED

BY A SHORT PERIOD OF ACCUMULATING SNOW SQUALLS LATE WEDNESDAY THEN

BITTER NEAR RECORD COLD THURSDAY INTO SATURDAY MORNING...

.A WEEK OF HIGH IMPACT WINTER WEATHER IS IN PROGRESS. THIS MORNINGS

SNOW STORM ENDS BY FORENOON. WE CAN THEN EXPECT A SHORT PERIOD OF

UP TO 2 INCH SNOW SQUALLS LATE WEDNESDAY. THIS WILL BE FOLLOWED BY

FRIDAY WITH POSSIBLY THE COLDEST PHILADELPHIA WEATHER SINCE JANUARY

1994. BELIEVE IT OR NOT...SOME SNOW TO RAIN OR ICE IS OUTLOOKED

FOR NEXT WEEKEND.

Got a thread for this ;)

Amusingly, my brother, who lives a mile from my parents in Ewing, just texted me asking how much snow *he* had :lol:

Send him a picture/link to the ruler (if he doesn't have it already)...problem solved. Visual is better than words in this case.

Light snow w/larger flakes starting to mix in again,...tail end moving in. Thinking 4.5 - 5" currently..12.9F

Send him a picture/link to the ruler (if he doesn't have it already)...problem solved. Visual is better than words in this case.

Light snow w/larger flakes starting to mix in again,...tail end moving in. Thinking 4.5 - 5" currently..12.9F

I shared the link once, guess he didn't save it. lol.

1" of new snow on the ground as of 2 am - that's basically 1.33"/hour with visibility never less than a half mile.  Has to be 20:1 ratio snow, as it's like cotton candy.  I have to say, while I am still an avid believer in reporting snow mass or LE instead of depth,as mass/LE is far more relevant wrt/impact, 20:1 snow is pretty freakin' awesome to look at. Looks like the southern edge of the moderate snowfall is about to go past us, ending the good snow - hopefully that next band around 195 will make it up here soon or that we'll get backbuilding from the west.  Also, I need to get at least 2-3 hours of sleep, lol, as I have an all day meeting tomorrow with two of my groups at work and dozing off won't go over well.  

Slept for almost 3 hours, got up at 5 am and we now have 4" on the ground as of 5:30 am after "shoveling" - since I was outside, I "shoveled" with a huge broom - way faster than a shovel for this fluffy confection.  Still snowing light/moderately.  Hard to tell if the decent 20-30 DBZ "green" bands are almost over or not - I'm on the northern edge right now.  Would love another 1-2", but not confident in getting that, but I'm ecstatic with 4".  Woohoo!  

Final measurement is 4.5" as of 6:15 am, as another 1/2" fell in the last hour or so - snow now just falling lightly.  Could get a little more, but radar is looking light.  Also, with such high ratios, better measure now or this stuff will collapse under its own weight in a few hours.  I had cleared the "board" at 4" and got another 1/2" of fresh snow, but also noticed that the depth on the lawn was only 4.25", indicating that some settling has already started (as the lawn was agreeing with my "board" - a table on my deck - until then).  

Archived