• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Nassau and Suffolk counties NEED their own forum.

Bobby

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think much of the thinking has to do with higher snowfall at certain times and not necessarily the average. NW areas definitely do deserve the subforum though because some areas do average double or more snow

Maybe the interior sections Of NNJ and SE NY that average 35"+ could just merge in with the Upstate NY and PA 

subforum. But that should be a call of the posters living in those regions. There is no reason to divide LI from NYC 

and nearby NNJ/CNJ.

Maybe the interior sections Of NNJ and interior SE NY that average 35"+ could just merge in with Upstate NY and PA

subforums. But that should be a call of the posters living in those regions. There is no reason to divide LI from NYC

and nearby NNJ/CNJ.

I completely agree. For the most part, it really just comes down to elevation and distance from the coast. If NYC receives 12" from a storm, and Caldwell, NJ gets 2".....that's just something that happens.....always going to be a cutoff. I think the subforums such as the NW one is good to have because there is actually a pretty big difference with the climate, not just more snow this time as opposed to that time. If we keep taking them further, we might as well have a "NJ pine barrens" forum because of the difference in temps there as well due to radiational cooling lol

I completely agree. For the most part, it really just comes down to elevation and distance from the coast. If NYC receives 12" from a storm, and Caldwell, NJ gets 2".....that's just something that happens.....always going to be a cutoff. I think the subforums such as the NW one is good to have because there is actually a pretty big difference with the climate, not just more snow this time as opposed to that time. If we keep taking them further, we might as well have a "NJ pine barrens" forum because of the difference in temps there as well due to radiational cooling lol

That Upstate NY/PA subforum has the second lowest subforum post count on the whole board. So it could benefit from

the inclusion of nearby interior SE NY/ NNJ. But that would be up to the people in that forum and the interior posters

here.

That Upstate NY/PA subforum has the second lowest subforum post count on the whole board. So it could benefit from

the inclusion of nearby interior SE NY/ NNJ. But that would be up to the people in that forum and the interior posters

here.

We are still part of the NYC Metro Area. A separate thread for the interior folk is fine and has worked for a few yrs now. 

Please don't turn this into a NW burbs thing. This thread is about LI wanting its freedom 

do you really want even fewer meteorologists in the NYC forum? I miss when this was one big board

Yes I remember back when it was all one board... I liked it much better and it was nice to read posts from a bigger pool of pros regardless if they were from my area or not and it was all in the same forum. Now with it all split up, you have to go to each Forum to read stuff like that.

I think the motion to secede from the Union has been overwhelmingly voted down...which seems pretty reasonable to me. However, a separate Long Island thread (like the "NW" thread") would be a good idea.

We are still part of the NYC Metro Area. A separate thread for the interior folk is fine and has worked for a few yrs now. 

Please don't turn this into a NW burbs thing. This thread is about LI wanting its freedom 

Only the thread starter made that suggestion. The majority of LI posters are fine with the current arrangement.

here.

We already have several regular posters from NNJ, Westchester and the Bronx.  Our threads tend to run up to 100 pages fairly quickly and almost always without the drama the immediate metro area threads experience.

Our weather is so dramatically different from the coastal plain I don't think most folks down there even want to read about what's going on imby.  I know the people I work with want nothing to do with what goes on up here and during the winter (especially) choose to rebel against my managerial authority because I get to take weather days off that they don't.

I think the motion to secede from the Union has been overwhelmingly voted down...which seems pretty reasonable to me. However, a separate Long Island thread (like the "NW" thread") would be a good idea.

I think I'm in the top 5 in terms of number of posts of any Long Islander...and I barely make any posts at all after May 1st. That does not leave many summer posters...so you would essentially be creating a ghost forum.

Yes I remember back when it was all one board... I liked it much better and it was nice to read posts from a bigger pool of pros regardless if they were from my area or not and it was all in the same forum. Now with it all split up, you have to go to each Forum to read stuff like that.

This is probably the main reason why too many subforums are terrible.....so when a met has to make a post about a current storm or anything for that matter.....it will obviously go into the main NYC metro forum (or specific thread for that storm/model runs, etc).....so what good would having another separate subforum do? People would just have to go into several threads to get the same info that they could get in one or two, or they would just miss many important posts pertaining to the storms

The climate in the whole Upton CWA is basically modified continental...sure some parts are snowier & colder...but you will find that anytime you cover hundreds of square miles of real estate...except maybe in Kansas.  If we are going to create sub-forums every time there appears to be some climactic discrepancies over a given region...well, you'll have a lot of inactive forums. 

Leave it alone . Stop the petty IMBY crap . We have no problem when POU gets 12 and KBLM changes to rain . 

No one should care if KISP gets 12 and NW misses . 

You do not want to shrink the board or you will end up  shrinking  good contributions . Leave it the way it is 

This. It's not like any of us control the weather

You can't leave Long Island on the ground without going through NYC.

I've been to Connecticut without flying many times

Of all my skills; walking on water is not amongst them...

I was simply stating a question, asking to get a feel for how the board felt. But as is typical with this forum it immediately became condescending, berating and targeted. I don't post often, mostly because of this. The majority has spoken which is fine. As far as Queens being physically part of Long Island that would be correct. But ask any long time resident of Suffolk (49 yrs) like myself and 9/10 will say the city starts at the Nassau/Queens border ;)

I was simply stating a question, asking to get a feel for how the board felt. But as is typical with this forum it immediately became condescending, berating and targeted. I don't post often, mostly because of this. The majority has spoken which is fine. As far as Queens being physically part of Long Island that would be correct. But ask any long time resident of Suffolk (49 yrs) like myself and 9/10 will say the city starts at the Nassau/Queens border ;)

Well, it did accomplish one thing...I would never have thought to create a "Long Island thread" as I did a few moments ago w/o the inspiration this thread generated...so there's that...which is nice.

Well, it did accomplish one thing...I would never have thought to create a "Long Island thread" as I did a few moments ago w/o the inspiration this thread generated...so there's that...which is nice.

I have thought about it many times. Its a good idea to have a LI thread. It will eliminate having to read through 100 crappy posts to get to a good one...and one that's specific to our area. People always forget LI is about 120 miles long.

I have thought about it many times. Its a good idea to have a LI thread. It will eliminate having to read through 100 crappy posts to get to a good one...and one that's specific to our area. People always forget LI is about 120 miles long.

Its not all about length.

A LI thread inside the NYC Regional Forum is just fine, I agree with the many reasons as to why and the different climatology based on the surrounding areas North & West. I just didn't agree that Long Island needed it's own regional forum. We belong inside of the NYC forum... As long as we keep a Long Island thread  open we should be good to go... Lets get back to business with the Thursday and Sunday threats. The current time is now 2356Z... Nam will be out in 2.5 hours and the rest after that for the 00Z runs.. Talk to you guys later tonight.

Agreed.

Archived