• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
Late Weekend Storm Threat

IsentropicLift

This winter is 93-94 except NYC is Philly, Philly is DC, DC is Raleigh, and Boston is like Bridgeport

Moreover it was exactly that winter that was in my mind when I made this post an hour ago...it came to fruition multiple times...snow at Montauk while it was raining in Nassau County.

Very noteworthy...as we are now in February and the ocean temperatures are bordering on inconsequential with regards to changing eastern areas to rain...in conjunction with a concave arctic anticyclone perched over eastern Canada...this might well be a case where the so called mix line is oriented ESE / WNW...and a place like the North Fork of Long Island could be snowing while a similar latitude in N. Jersey is in a freezing rain or sleet situation...as cold air is drawn in on the northeasterly circulation around the High from New England and the Canadian Maritimes...this setup is not common...but is a little more likely in late winter.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For sure I have been thinking the same thing (minus the blizzard) that was the ultimate ice winter on the south shore. This is just a little bit north

There were some similarities last winter but really last winter was brutally cold in places like ATL and RDU, 93-94 was not, this winter to me had resembled it much more...86-87 isn't a bad analog either north of 38N as far as the turnaround goes but the El Niño failing to materialize has killed the turnaround south of there

Philly with about 23 inches of snow in 1993-94...Atlantic City with about 8 inches...NYC in the mid-50's...LGA had practically 60 inches...Logan Airport in Boston was close to the century mark. 

Philly with about 23 inches of snow in 1993-94...Atlantic City with about 8 inches...NYC in the mid-50's...LGA had practically 60 inches...Logan Airport in Boston was close to the century mark. 

Many of those 50 inches were knocked down by the change to rain then flash frozen until Feb when we got some good snow

I think there is going to be a decent Miller A eventually this winter where everyone from DCA to Boston gets clocked, may very well be in March but I think it happens

They had a great March south of 40 N last year...to have two in a row is probably rolling the dice once too often for a region that seldom sees more than a couple of inches post March 1st.

Many of those 50 inches were knocked down by the change to rain then flash frozen until Feb when we got some good snow

There were two little storms in December...bringing around 8 inches total...January was horribly frigid & wet with tons of ice...February was the snow month with 25 to 30 inches mostly concentrated in a weird two part setup at the start of the month...March was a little abnormally snowy but nothing crazy. 

There were two little storms in December...bringing around 8 inches total...January was horribly frigid & wet with tons of ice...February was the snow month with 25 to 30 inches mostly concentrated in a weird two part setup at the start of the month...March was a little abnormally snowy but nothing crazy. 

I do not remember December very well, but the rest is as you describe. At least the way I remember. There was like a 2 inch coating of ice on the ground most of the winter

I do not remember December very well, but the rest is as you describe. At least the way I remember. There was like a 2 inch coating of ice on the ground most of the winter

Yes, that was the winter where the sidestreets in my neighborhood were snow/ice packed for such a continuous stretch of time that there is not even remotely a close 2nd. 

I think there is going to be a decent Miller A eventually this winter where everyone from DCA to Boston gets clocked, may very well be in March but I think it happens

I whole heartedly agree. I have said this since December, and the last couple of weeks here.

Edit : the last one to do this was the Presidents Day storm?

I'm thinking the same if the ao/nao go very negative...it looks like it will be cold thru February...the weak el nino is still there and thge pna has been positive for the most part...plus we are over due for a big March storm...

GFS has a big snowstorm in SNE and NNE. The overrunning just misses NYC to the north. NYC is dry until the storm on Monday. That's when the temps cool down and NYC sees snow and ice.  Not a bad run at all. We still have time for a shift further to the south. The energy isn't sampled yet.

GFS has a big snowstorm in SNE and NNE. The overrunning just misses NYC to the north. NYC is dry until the storm on Monday. That's when the temps cool down and NYC sees snow and ice.  Not a bad run at all. We still have time for a shift further to the south. The energy isn't sampled yet.

i like ur optimisim but the odds of it shifting south after its been going north for days are slim to none...this threat really is not looking all that impressive

Archived