• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Fab February Banter

mackerel_sky

Sigh. Who gives a rat's anus about a trace of snow. Really. Is it technically a shut out? No. But it might as well be. You can't make a snowman out of a trace of snow. Maybe you can make a traceman. I don't know. But a trace of snow carries the same result as a shutout, except for a number on a page in some database somewhere.

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sigh. Who gives a rat's anus about a trace of snow. Really. Is it technically a shut out? No. But it might as well be. You can't make a snowman out of a trace of snow. Maybe you can make a traceman. I don't know. But a trace of snow carries the same result as a shutout, except for a number on a page in some database somewhere.

It actually doesn't, one has snow falling & reaching the ground, the other absolutely nothing. It's not a lot of snow, but it's certainly not 0

Umm, ok...? I'm just presenting facts that completely eradicate Pack's claims & he asked me how the February analogs were doing, & I answered, then he preceded to laugh @ my previous comment & I asked a simple question why it was so funny. There's absolutely nothing wrong with that

Feb's going to rock, it should eradicate the shutout...oh sorry, I mean almost shutout, but still technically not a shutout but will just call it a close second to a shutout.  Agree?  Shutout, not a shutout, close to a shutout.  Shutout.

All those numbers have to be tracked, no matter how minuscule ! How will we get our no-fail, rock solid , analogs, without this critical data! :)

Somewhere on down the road, that trace of snow will mean the difference between the number 1 analog and the number 2 analog, for the awesomest winter in history, probably about 2045, the solar flux will be strong then!

All those numbers have to be tracked, no matter how minuscule ! How will we get our no-fail, rock solid , analogs, without this critical data! :)

Somewhere on down the road, that trace of snow will mean the difference between the number 1 analog and the number 2 analog, for the awesomest winter in history, probably about 2045, the solar flux will be strong then!

Because future researchers will gather their data from various forum banter threads?  Interesting technique.

Argument settled...Darn I hate being right all the time, it's a curse really, but it's a burden I must bare.  #ShutoutWinter2015

http://www.cocorahs.org/Content.aspx?page=faqdataentry#sum_trace

Do Traces ever add up to measurable precipitation? No matter how many traces you sum together, the sum is still only a trace. When adding up precipitation for totals as in the Station Summary Report, we convert a Trace to 0.00.

Feb's going to rock, it should eradicate the shutout...oh sorry, I mean almost shutout, but still technically not a shutout but will just call it a close second to a shutout.  Agree?  Shutout, not a shutout, close to a shutout.  Shutout.

It's not a shutout, period... There's no gray area here, despite what your derogatory comment attempts to imply

If you put the hyperliteral goggles down for 10 seconds, you wouldn't be such a point-misser. Just 10 seconds. That's it.

You don't have to tell me what the point is, I've known this since @ least mid December w/ pack & others, but the actual facts & data trump even a robust opinion...

Feb's going to rock, it should eradicate the shutout...oh sorry, I mean almost shutout, but still technically not a shutout but will just call it a close second to a shutout. Agree? Shutout, not a shutout, close to a shutout. Shutout.

It's guaranteed to snow next week! The only ingrediant we have been missing for our storms, is Chicago snow pack! I heard it from somewhere

Next weeks a lock!

It's not a shutout, period... There's no gray area here, despite what your derogatory comment attempts to imply

You don't have to tell me what the point is, I've known this since @ least mid December w/ pack & others, but the actual facts & data trump even a robust opinion...

Do you really think anyone is arguing that there has been no trace of snow recorded at RDU this winter? 10 seconds.

Argument settled...Darn I hate being right all the time, it's a curse really, but it's a burden I must bare.  #ShutoutWinter2015

Do Traces ever add up to measurable precipitation? No matter how many traces you sum together, the sum is still only a trace. When adding up precipitation for totals as in the Station Summary Report, we convert a Trace to 0.00.

Sure... A trace is rounded to 0, but in reality it is still a trace in the end and counts as actual snow, not 0... 

Sure... A trace is rounded to 0, but in reality it is still a trace in the end and counts as actual snow, not 0... 

So the data says, 0.0.

Argument settled...Darn I hate being right all the time, it's a curse really, but it's a burden I must bare. #ShutoutWinter2015

Do Traces ever add up to measurable precipitation? No matter how many traces you sum together, the sum is still only a trace. When adding up precipitation for totals as in the Station Summary Report, we convert a Trace to 0.00.

So let me do this in common core math format:

1/4 trace + trace+ 2/3 trace+trace+trace+trace+trace+9/10 trace+1/4 trace+ 3/4trace+ trace+trace+1/2trace= 0 snow

I understand now!

I don't care what you call it, four trace events don't add up to squat. And the last even did not even have a trace amount for Raleigh on the snow map. It did for Wake Forest, but nothing for Raleigh. I guess having a trace is technically not a shutout, but that is splitting hairs. We have not had anything worthwhile this winter.

But that will change the next two weeks.

It's guaranteed to snow next week! The only ingrediant we have been missing for our storms, is Chicago snow pack! I heard it from somewhere

Next weeks a lock!

We need the one next week to lay down a snowpack to our south, so we can get the one 10 days from now.

We need to lay down the snowpack to our south and east so that the feed from the Gulf and off the Atlantic can deliver cold moisture to us.

I don't care what you call it, four trace events don't add up to squat. And the last even did not even have a trace amount for Raleigh on the snow map. It did for Wake Forest, but nothing for Raleigh. I guess having a trace is technically not a shutout, but that is splitting hairs. We have not had anything worthwhile this winter.

But that will change the next two weeks.

Sooo you say it doesn't add up to squat, yet every time you get a trace, you are surprised because you didn't expect that much, or it wasn't forecast, or some other thing you say. Also it is not going to snow the next two weeks because I said so.

Sooo you say it doesn't add up to squat, yet every time you get a trace, you are surprised because you didn't expect that much, or it wasn't forecast, or some other thing you say. Also it is not going to snow the next two weeks because I said so.

What are you talking about? I did get a trace last week. I said I was surprised at how much snow they got to the north of me, and it was not forecasted. Neither was the brief round of sleet we got last week. Why don't you actually try reading what I wrote.

Archived