northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
Winter Med Range Discussion days 3-10 pbp II

buckeyefan1

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Does the UK has a SLP off HAT or is that an old run?

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/ukmo2.php?nh=1&ech=72&carte=1021

That is tonight's run.  Nice shift by it...

Looks like it has a 1010 mb LP south of Louisiana on the prior frame (hr 96).  Of course, it's hard to say for sure what happens in the intervening 24 hours, but it would seem to be interesting upon first look.

Not sure I want that day 5, more like 36 hours out, LOL.

We can't be picky.  Got to take 'em when we can.

That french crap is harder to read then the black n white canadian.

It's a great site, though.  It gets all of the maps faster than anywhere else I've seen (including the GGEM, UKMET, and NAVGEM).  AmericanWx's GGEM is as fast, though.

The GFS was so cold b/c it scooted that northern system out so fast that it allowed high pressure to build in the Northeast in advance of our storm.... 

If we can get that to happen along with a phase of our northern energy with the southern wave we would seriously be in business.

IMO, It looks like the Ukmet is showing a phase, but it doesn't push the northern system out ahead of it so there won't be any CAD, probably rain for everyone east of the Apps in that scenario unless NC can switch to snow on the backside before it moves out. That is my guess based off the pathetic maps we have to go by anyways...

The 12z had slp off hat just a tad warm, can't load that link on my phone though

Looking over the 12z on WB, it's not really a Gulf Low in a way, though.  It's like a Miller B transfer mess or something on the 12z run.  There's some secondary low over SE TN or something with another weak low in the Gulf.  Strange look, but I don't have a lot of maps to look at.  This run is also a lot stronger.

(WB has the UKMET now with 6-hour panels, but it takes hours to come out.)

Yeah, the Canadian is just a touch too fast.  Even without the phase, it would have been a decent 3-6" type hit for many if it had been a little colder.  Not a bad look.  Probably rain-to-snow for some as it is, though we know how that usually works out.

Looks like Boston gets a decent hit from it.  I'm sure no one is surprised.

Hard to tell if cmc was a phase w/out the 5h maps but it had to be close.  The main problem was the high didn't have time to get into position and looks warm.

The cold can't catch the Baja low, it's a delicate balance. Need the baja low to get caught before hitting the Atlantic, IMO.

Here's a model recap of where we stand now:

GGEM/UKMet look similar with no CAD and a wound up storm... maybe rain to snow for some.

NAVGEM/GFS/JMA build in CAD and have wintery weather extending deep into southern GA/SC.

EURO has no storm at all...

I would say any of those 3 scenario's have about an equal chance right now.

(Edit: Maybe less chance for the Euro solution after the information posted today that showed it correcting to the Northwest on the last couple of storms.)

Of course here in GA I prefer the GFS solution over the Canadian, but still want to see the Euro come on board for any of us to get too worked up over this system...

Bugs me to no end that the EURO is no where near the GFS.  I will say though that the GFS has not wavered except for the 18z.  So there is that....

Archived