• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Post-Super Bowl Storm chance discussion

rossi

I look at the ECMWF, GFS, NAM, GGEM, RGEM, GEM-LAM (great is short range for snow precision)...I don't really look at the UKMET much, I do look at the ARW & NNM (which nailed Monday's cutoff)....the HRRR & RAP in the short range)...and I once lived & died with the SUNY MM5...the best rain / snow line model ever...but it seems to have been discontinued. You can end up looking at too many...as was the case on Monday...the ensembles (mainly GFS) I check occasionaly...but it can get to be too much.

Oh Prof Colle at SUNY SB loved that model.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First off , for all you NAM wishers it would be a crippling ice storm even into KNYC after about 6 inches of snow.

However it may be missing the confluence at hour 48. So everything after that could just be noise.

Wait until you see the rest of the guidance and where the SLP is in the Ohio valley , then you see where the center and mid level push should end up.

I think you are talking about two different things, he is talking about the 850 line...

the difference in this run of the NAM vs the 18z is when it gets to just east of pittsburgh it hits a wall and is forced south east and then exits through southern NJ - anyone north of the raritan river in NJ is all frozen on this run the entire event with a mixing of sleet or a very brief change to sleet then back to snow as the low pushes off the coast

I like the low placement with the nam as it collaborates with other models, however I absolutly DO NOT buy into NYC changing over, those levels will crash as the storm deepens and what may be slight turn over will go back to snow... Just my feeling based on similar set ups in the past, especially with a low hitting the Atlantic at Delmarva

This.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

the difference in this run of the NAM vs the 18z is when it gets to just east of pittsburgh it hits a wall and is forced south east and then exits through southern NJ - anyone north of the raritan river in NJ is all frozen on this run the entire event with a mixing of sleet or a very brief change to sleet then back to snow as the low pushes off the coast

the 850 low tracks north of central nj. anyone south of the 850 low is going to rain

The surface will be very tricky because there's a lot of CAD in place due to very cold air in the low levels just north of the low. The low itself it having a very hard time climbing any further north because of the setup in place so there is a limit to how far north it gets. I'd rather see what the other models show as both the SREF and Nam are out of their range.  

Archived