Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February Forecast Discussion

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With the high to the NW  you could get an expansive precip shield...these highs have trended slower out of Canada and weaker all winter, if that keeps up this is going to come NW

Bet you a good deal GFS will strongly come NW and Euro ( leading pack on this one) will do same 2.,5 hrs later. This is beginning turn in our favor ( the pattern shift the last 3 weeks) has already turned our winter around ( already above avg for snow at CPK LGA JFK)

It has the right idea, pattern is too progressive. Next week holds much more potential

That is the statement that has been uttered countless times this winter.  Then after nothing next week, it'll just be the following week.  I'm really starting to think this winter is just a winter where it does not want to snow in NYC.  It stinks, but it is what it is.

That is the statement that has been uttered countless times this winter.  Then after nothing next week, it'll just be the following week.  I'm really starting to think this winter is just a winter where it does not want to snow in NYC.  It stinks, but it is what it is.

DUDE it's snowed 20" in the last 10 days alone... we are nearing averages for the entire season!

Either:

a. take a look outside every now and then, or,

b. accept the climo of this place

NYC is near 20 inches for the winter. A few inches below average. We just had a 10-12 inch snowstorm last week. This winter hasn't been bad.

DUDE it's snowed 20" in the last 10 days alone... we are nearing averages for the entire season!

Either:

a. take a look outside every now and then, or,

b. accept the climo of this place

This.............To everybody that lives in NYC proper. Just because there have been  a few crazy winters, climo is climo for a reason. You can always hope for a blockbuster winter but stop whining if you are closing in on your seasonal average on groundhog day. 90 miles down the turnpike and you would know what real snow deprivation is...

This.............To everybody that lives in NYC proper. Just because there have been  a few crazy winters, climo is climo for a reason. You can always hope for a blockbuster winter but stop whining if you are closing in on your seasonal average on groundhog day. 90 miles down the turnpike and you would know what real snow deprivation is...

And what's the climo for LI?  My complaint isn't that we have some 20 inches for the winter.  It's the disappointment of missing out on a blizzard that most mets had progged to hit us.  And how often does the climo support a significant ice storm for NYC?  They happen, of course, but rarely.  I get that blizzards are rare, but when you get so close, it is a disappointment to miss out on it.

I think Feb 9-10th holds some potential still, guidance is indicating well have a good HP in SE Canada, just need a shortwve to undercut it. 

Right now the setup for 2/8 on the GFS looks just like 1/27/94 minus the fact that low did not redevelop into a big system offshore but the high placement in Canada with the overrunning is similar.

And what's the climo for LI?  My complaint isn't that we have some 20 inches for the winter.  It's the disappointment of missing out on a blizzard that most mets had progged to hit us.  And how often does the climo support a significant ice storm for NYC?  They happen, of course, but rarely.  I get that blizzards are rare, but when you get so close, it is a disappointment to miss out on it.

Your avitar says Manhattan. Climo absolutely supports ice storms around NYC more than 30 inch blizzards backing in off the ocean. This is the coldest average time of year and there are many storms like this where coastal sections warm upstairs in storms and stay close to or below freezing at ground level. While the warmth of the streets in Manhattan often negate serious icing, surrounding boroughs and suburbs do get ice. Face it, more storms flip to rain than remain snow along the coast.

I also read in another thread during the "blizzard" that there have only been 36 recorded storms in NYC of over 12". Assuming that is true, it proves that no matter how models and mets predict large storms for the city, there is so much that can go wrong that it is only "statistically reasonable" to expect a storm of over a foot every 4 years. Anything more "statistically" is a bonus

Archived