joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Fabulous February Arctic Outbreak

DaculaWeather

• Replies 950
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just an amazing run from our Maple Leaf friends. I would easily forget about the rest of the winter we have had if that panned out. Nice shifts on the 12z runs today. 12z GGEM/GFS would be close to all snow for most on the board. It seems to me that the trend has been for the low to track to the east of the apps now. The interaction between the Baja low and trough dropping in seems to be more consolidated. In past runs the Baja low had been ejecting out and getting ahead of the trough. I think that was leading to more of the cutter solutions.

Just an amazing run from our Maple Leaf friends. I would easily forget about the rest of the winter we have had if that panned out. Nice shifts on the 12z runs today. 12z GGEM/GFS would be close to all snow for most on the board. It seems to me that the trend has been for the low to track to the east of the apps now. The interaction between the Baja low and trough dropping in seems to be more consolidated. In past runs the Baja low had been ejecting out and getting ahead of the trough. I think that was leading to more of the cutter solutions.

12z Ukmet with a humdinger of a run as well.

High pressure has my attention.

when looking at this possible storm, you have a massive, strong, cold HP push in ahead of this threat, and one coming in behind. This seems like it would have to thread the needle to end up giving rain this time... which is completely the opposite of what we normally deal with.

High press to the north, at least for the first wave Monday, is a big change compared to recent systems. I almost forgot what that pattern looks like, lol. Plains plunger high is also very cold behind the second wave. Dynamic system could ingest some of that cold. Both HP systems with shallow cold air introduce the risk of ice accumulation, esp Mid-South to North Alabama.

I'm hoping that downslope from the east saves Chatty from ice. Much as I want snow, ice avoidance is top priority. Any delay in the pivot of the main wave would promote all snow, but I have no reason to forecast that in Chatty with energy still upstream at pivot time. In fact I'd still nudge everything north of GFS verbatim, mainly because of that HP intermission early Tuesday. Nashville, dare I say it, and Knoxville have decent shots of snow iff trends continue. It is still day 5-6 and that is with this slightly faster timing.

High pressure has my attention.

High press to the north, at least for the first wave Monday, is a big change compared to recent systems. I almost forgot what that pattern looks like, lol. Plains plunger high is also very cold behind the second wave. Dynamic system could ingest some of that cold. Both HP systems with shallow cold air introduce the risk of ice accumulation, esp Mid-South to North Alabama.

I'm hoping that downslope from the east saves Chatty from ice. Much as I want snow, ice avoidance is top priority. Any delay in the pivot of the main wave would promote all snow, but I have no reason to forecast that in Chatty with energy still upstream at pivot time. In fact I'd still nudge everything north of GFS verbatim, mainly because of that HP intermission early Tuesday. Nashville, dare I say it, and Knoxville have decent shots of snow iff trends continue. It is still day 5-6 and that is with this slightly faster timing.

I appreciate your contribution here and it is prudent to remain cautiously optimistic.  Even if we can get this to within 48-72 hours you will often see considerable trends and nuances that will have to be dealt with (meaning winners and losers).

One big thing I am looking for here, is a faster onset of precipitation with a band of overrunning that will develop and fairly quickly and move in from west to east, ahead of the main energy.  This possibility is in the day 4/5 range, instead of day 5/6. 

Time will tell I guess, just glad we have something to track.

I'd like to point out this is the time period where modeling really consolidated on the track for the major storm a couple of weeks ago that began the barrage in Boston IIRC.  

It's a good time to put ourselves in the ballpark for something good.  Looks to be a lot of moisture and a lot of cold.  What can go wrong?  lol

Archived