• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Coastal low 1/24 can this get winter going?

Mitchell Gaines

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I-95 proper is borderline.  Still has a large isothermal layer with temps a little above freezing.  Would suggest a rain snow line somewhere around there.  Kinda like 2/3/2014.

Knowing that the Wunder map isn't that great for snowfall, it is painting the heaviest snowfall over central to slightly north NJ. Have to agree it was a great run even if we have to deal with an antecedent airmass as Rainshadow calls it.

Knowing that the Wunder map isn't that great for snowfall, it is painting the heaviest snowfall over central to slightly north NJ. Have to agree it was a great run even if we have to deal with an antecedent airmass as Rainshadow calls it.

Antecedent just means the air mass already in place when the storm arrives.  In this case, its not a great one.

Ray, thoughts? To me looking at the larger hits some of the models have, I think its possible some areas go to rain, but switch back to snow afterwards. The 500mb track reminds me a lot of February 5th 2001. 

Stormvista is very conservative because it only shows snow if the area is 32 degrees or lower. It has philly only getting snow from the initial burst. It is def rain/sleet at 78 hours though. Then maybe switches back on the back end 

The more inland was expected...there's nothing preventing an even more inland / warmer track.

So my money's on the continued more warmer / inland track...but still a big hit for interior areas.

The pattern is too progressive and the shortwave doesn't go negative down in the gulf states, that's the reason this won't go much west of this, it doesn't amplify til it's well up the coast and by then it's zooming NE in progressive flow

Not sure what this storm has going for it. No cold high to the north, nor 50/50 low, marginal teleconnections, antecedent air mass. Major bust potential. But it has the Euro at 12Z today.

you are right, the high is in a pretty crappy location, the antecedent air mass isn't great, but it isn't a disaster either.   Teleconnectors do argue against a big time event, but I've seen setups similar to this produce nice events, especially as you move away from the coast.   One thing this storm does have going for it is the time of year, low sun angle, etc...

you are right, the high is in a pretty crappy location, the antecedent air mass isn't great, but it isn't a disaster either.   Teleconnectors do argue against a big time event, but I've seen setups similar to this produce nice events, especially as you move away from the coast.   One thing this storm does have going for it is the time of year, low sun angle, etc...

Best sun angle is past.  We're getting to mid-November sun angle ;)

The pattern is too progressive and the shortwave doesn't go negative down in the gulf states, that's the reason this won't go much west of this, it doesn't amplify til it's well up the coast and by then it's zooming NE in progressive flow

sort of has the look of a 2013-14 winter storm, in that regard.   that is how we ended up with some nice events absent any real blocking.

NAM looks like 3-6" Philly area?

I'll take it. We aint getting a blizzard out of this one. Possibly the early week system but not this weekend storm. This one is progressive so I think a 3-6" or 4-8" max type storm is likely what we are going to see with this if someone asked me to call it right now for my area (Warminster, central Bucks County).

Watch the GFS throw us a crazy qpf bomb now lol.

Archived