• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Coastal low 1/24 can this get winter going?

Mitchell Gaines

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wxsim with 6z data for the Northwest Chester County Area (above 650ft)

- Light snow arriving toward 9pm this evening temp 31.1

- Moderate snow by 10pm temp 30.3

- Heavy Snow by 1am temp 29.6 (1.6" snow)

- Mix Snow/Ip at 4am temp down to 28.7 (3.3" snow)

- Mix Snow/IP thru 6am then IP/ZR thru 1:30pm (total ZR 0.23")

Snow arrives again on Sunday evening around 930pm and snows heavy at times thru late day on Monday with around 9.0" of new snow by evening

Then the deep freeze next week with some near zero lows mid-week

Wxsim with 6z data for the Northwest Chester County Area (above 650ft)

- Light snow arriving toward 9pm this evening temp 31.1

- Moderate snow by 10pm temp 30.3

- Heavy Snow by 1am temp 29.6 (1.6" snow)

- Mix Snow/Ip at 4am temp down to 28.7 (3.3" snow)

- Mix Snow/IP thru 6am then IP/ZR thru 1:30pm (total ZR 0.23")

Snow arrives again on Sunday evening around 930pm and snows heavy at times thru late day on Monday with around 9.0" of new snow by evening

Then the deep freeze next week with some near zero lows mid-week

wxsim showing 9" of snow for Monday? Nice

Can't remember the last time Dr No was a yes for areas that american models have mostly rain 12 hours before a storm

More like 6 hours, geez louise. I have this nagging feeling that ice is going to be an issue north of route 1, maybe along into the 202 corridor area. Call it the Lambertville to Bridewater strip. Still seeing the models give the idea that the low doesn't crank until it's under the best jet dynamics, but that doesn't happen until after it is around ACY. So the upper level trough axes suggest warming aloft for the southern 2/3 of the state, but if the winds never really blow hard off the ocean, and are NE by the time it starts to bomb, how are we not going to wetbulb down to 30/31/32 away from the immediate coastal plain? I think maybe some light icing for Philly-Trenton-New Brunswick, and maybe a little more Lambertville to Bridgewater.

I heard that the Eurowx algorithm does not accumulate snow when the surface is above freezing. Don't know if it's true but it may account for the lower totals.

It is, you usually have to split the difference between it and the westherbell nutso maps, if it's 34/24 it thinks no accumulation is occurring because it doesn't assume werbulbing

(It's been a year, how is everyone?)

Haven't paid too much attention, but I have to admit to being bullish on this one. With stagnant cold, we get killed with the 850-925 warm nose, but I just don't see that being an issue N and W. I like the northerly flow at the surface, like the radar presentation and water vapor loop. Also like that the surface reports in the precip shield are slightly better (on average) than forecast. And, I always prefer the ECMWF (I have no idea what to make of the GFS at this point). 

(It's been a year, how is everyone?)

Haven't paid too much attention, but I have to admit to being bullish on this one. With stagnant cold, we get killed with the 850-925 warm nose, but I just don't see that being an issue N and W. I like the northerly flow at the surface, like the radar presentation and water vapor loop. Also like that the surface reports in the precip shield are slightly better (on average) than forecast. And, I always prefer the ECMWF (I have no idea what to make of the GFS at this point). 

Thoughts align. Thinking this one performs well. Check the dews north of the AC Expressway. I shifted my thinking that this was a rainy solution 15 miles NW of the turnpike to 15 mile SE. Just don't see the surface torching tomorrow, so if its rain, I think ZR.

Archived