amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Winter 2014-2015 Pattern Discussion Thread II

JoshM

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How many times have we seen these giant GL storms modeled vs how many have actually happened?

lol they almost never do. I mean it drops some major energy out of Canada that gets into the US and immediately travels due east. It's not even like it digs and then spins up. Just a big clipper that never drifts south. 

Wave 1 amplitude is increasing but forecasted to drop

attachicon.giftime_pres_WAVE1_MEAN_OND_NH_2014 (1).gif

Heat flux is increasing and beginning a poleward push (bottom graph)

attachicon.giffluxes (1).gif

What sticks out to me is the zonal winds progged really low...wouldn't that make the PV extremely weak and accepting to a split? To me it seems like it's money it the bank the way everything looks on the modeling (Strat maps on GFS/Euro, etc), but SSW's are always hard to nail, whether or not people think it's strong enough/too week seems almost like a matter of opinion although some can argue either side for days. This is the first year I'm paying attention to it some I'm trying to learn, there's honestly not a lot of info on analysis out there to my surprise (journals/etc)...

Just because you see a "ridge" it isn't a bad thing.  Those ridges can sometimes end up with a battle vs cold air and someone can end up with a jackpot Winter storm.  Not the worst look and doom like many think.  Look at the HPs floating around.

The deep south, its always nice to be a bit colder than shown, but other than that I'll take it going into mid-month.  I agree with Jon.

Exactly... We have the blocking exactly where we want it, over the North Pacific & Alaska. This kind of set-up forces undercutting and there will be a few systems that sneak underneath this ridge in the subtropical jet... 

gfs-ens_z500a5d_namer_2.png

The models don't seem to have the slightest idea about what to do w/ this energy in the southern branch, much of the guidance is erroneously trying to bury/stall it for several days into Mexico & the Baja Peninsula. We're walking a fine line here & it wouldn't take much at all to see dramatic changes in the output from the models (nothing vs a winter storm) down the road just based on the placement, intensity & juxtaposition of the energy that will be getting passed under the table into North America, aside from other parameters that will be generally conducive for something in the 2nd week of January... 

ecmwf_z500a_namer_8.png

gfs-ens_z500a_namer_29.png

I actually like the 12z GFS. Continues to look very promising in the LR for some kind of system at the day 11/12 range. I know we should not discuss storm details this far out but the below day 11/12 GFS depiction would scream ice storm for many.

http://mag.ncep.noaa.gov/Image.php?image=data%2Fgfs%2F12%2Fgfs_namer_276_850_temp_mslp_precip.gif&model=gfs&area=namer&storm=&cycle=12&param=850_temp_mslp_precip&fhr=276&group=Model+Guidance&imageSize=M&ps=model&use_mins=no&preselected_formatted_cycle_date=20141229+12+UTC&scrollx=0&scrolly=0

12z GFS wants to bring the severe weather to southern AL & MS this coming up weekend.  Showing helicity around 300 with surface cape of around 1000 j/kg along the gulf areas of Mississippi.  Might have a similar situation to what we saw on the 23rd last week.  Dew points showing in the mid to upper 60's.

I haven't looked at 12z runs, but just looking at the big picture, I see some very simplistic trends heading into Jan in our favor without dissecting any late 500mb maps I wanted to go another route.

First, looking at the CFSv2 anomalies, we can see the cold modeled for all of Jan continuing to increase in Canada...and while I've talked crap about the CFSv2 in the past, it's a crappy model IMO but one trend I DO see and have seen is the cold. We have a healthy snow pack over eastern Canada.

XJyZdmT.png

tyMTRon.gif

And while the SE temps look bad check out the probabilities...it seems to be waffling back between 1) whether the SE will be above average all month and 2) how many states in the SE will be above average. The trends are not likely to save FL for the first half of Jan, but it may save the climo areas

Oi97SR1.gif

Last 3 runs of the Euro bring back a +PNA at the end/after the first week of Jan, supporting an idea of some looks at wintry action around the 8th-11th period. This is good in that, if we get any cold set up in place it's only option is to come SE...we should kill or weaken, the SE ridge if one is present at the time.

HHLQnO2.png

You can see some members of the GEFS 06z sniffing this out around the 6th-7th as well, mean drowned out by the several high negative members, though.

vNOL34i.png

Again outside of the last few runs of the GEFS members, GFS/Euro OP, etc....we haven't really seen the look of a decent +PNA only that it may head neutral...(see orange line in Euro OP graph above)

Though the CPC probability maps 8-14 days out aren't exactly accurate all the time, they're here, and the time period is of my interest (5th-11th) Climo areas once again normal for this time period aka no torch here (can't save Florida, though, but when can we unless we get a deep PV drop?) Given the fact that these aren't that accurate this far out just lends more of an idea that things can still change, and the N (Normal in this map) can indeed change to below normal as we get closer to this time period.

0sIHZAg.gif

The -PNA and the SE ridge have been and will continue to be the death knell for snow chances, those two factors equal no snow.  Until we see a major shift it's not going to do anything snow wise in the SE..  I'd sure like to see the CFS and other models to not have it flexing the SE ridge and a -PNA on virtually every run.

The western ridge placement is still too Far East on the euro

Doesn't matter. I was just mentioning how drastic of a change it was and for that time period, it's expected. Ridge and the cold near the Hudson was nearly non-existent on the 00z. It's a huge change. It's the overall picture.

I'll be interested to see the EPS...just looking at the surface map it looked better than last night and it looks like something could pop shortly after that.

I feel like there is always a shot at popping something. But what's modeled now is not a good set up. Funny Allen said the other day he was interested in the 9th-11th period....... Wonder how he feels now

Yeah, this is the wettest Nina I can ever remember!

It's freakin' wonderful.  I've gotten another 1.9 after the earlier 3.4 this week, after only .24 for the earlier part of the month.  I'm telling you the cold is soon to arrive, with sleet in feet.  The cold always noses around when the rains arrive.  Early part of Jan is still on the table.  Can't go by models that change from run to run.. can't sniff squirrel whizz.... got to look at climo, and climo says it's looking better each day now that Xmas has passed :)  T

Archived