• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
December Banter

mackerel_sky

I believe I read today ATL has only had 2 lows of 32 or lower this month...if they do not get another one they will break the record from December of 84 I believe which only had 3.

it has not even been lower than 30 in Atlanta all December. What an incredibly warm month. Reminds me of December 2011.

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I believe I read today ATL has only had 2 lows of 32 or lower this month...if they do not get another one they will break the record from December of 84 I believe which only had 3.

it has not even been lower than 30 in Atlanta all December. What an incredibly warm month. Reminds me of December 2011. I do see some similarities between this winter and winter 11-12. There were also predictions of a cold and snowy winter that winter and we all know how that turned out.

You mention December 1984. Wasn't the following month very Cold ?

It's life in the south Yea we love winter weather but know it's got to be perfect to get it. If we don't get it life goes on. We never go without getting something so it may be later ok great. Or maybe it won't but that's weather in the south. Every well known met and forecaster will bust if models are right. Not just one but most all of them. Models have been so inconsistent this year so don't think u can trust them either way. Merry Christmas to all of you and hopefully a wintry New Year

Good post.  I cannot see all the proven mets being wrong.  All the models are literally broken right now.  There was a post earlier about how just one wrong thing in the short range per model can have major impacts on the future hrs of the forecast.

He is having a rough spell. Here's another one where he stuck his neck out and the guillotine is falling. I believe he predicted over 50% coverage for Christmas day.

26.3% of the U.S. covered by snow. This is the lowest snow coverage for this day since Dec 22, 2004 when 18.5% of the U.S. had snow cover.

and I'm guessing the majority of that 26.3% is in areas where almost nobody lives. Probably out west in the mountainous areas.

Finally, maybe snowstorm can shut up about how dry it's been.

post-2727-0-33508900-1419292932_thumb.gi

KATL is at +4 through the 21st.  The only thing keeping up above average at this point has been overnight lows.  Daytime highs have been held in check due to the continuous cloud cover/fog/drizzle.  The same thing keeping the overnight lows up has been keeping the highs down.  Also if you remove the first five days of the month we are about average as we absolutely torched the first week of December.

Finally, maybe snowstorm can shut up about how dry it's been.

image_full6.gif

KATL is at +4 through the 21st. The only thing keeping up above average at this point has been overnight lows. Daytime highs have been held in check due to the continuous cloud cover/fog/drizzle. The same thing keeping the overnight lows up has been keeping the highs down. Also if you remove the first five days of the month we are about average as we absolutely torched the first week of December.

that map is in stark contrast to the RPM which shows 7" for my area.

Exactly the regional disconnect can contribute to frustration at times.  That said it's actually been chilly here recently.  I would much prefer 60's and sunshine in a no snow pattern to this 40's-50's and overcast/foggy/drizzle/rain crap we have had for what seems like two weeks now.  It feels wintery but knowing that snow isn't coming is pretty disturbing.

Yeah, outside of the first week of Dec, it's been very Seattle-like weather. I like it, at least it foolishly makes me believe a cold snow is comin' eventhough it's been a cold rain (no offense Cold Rain).  :P

2 Thoughts:

1. My favorite is when the word 'panic' appears in posts. Like if we don't start to see so in so, then I'll start to 'panic'

2. If someone called for a cold Dec, then that will be a fail...but that's all we can call a fail right now. Who knows, maybe the entire winter is above normal, but we can't call fail on Jan-Mar right now.

good post.

Archived