joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Possible NYC snow Wed Night or Thursday

Mitchel Volk

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

okx and phi are hinting at a rain to snow scenario for the coast and i completely disagree. looks like a heavy snow thump to mix/rain IMO. all models show a heavy wall of precip with temps just barely cold enough... that's a pasting

I think u snow there's going to be plenty of lift as this deepens outside OBX and minus 2 at 850 and 33 get it done. .That's where knyc and EWR accumulate . Then as that center gets to AC there should enough of an easterly component so the coast flips

but as that center gets east of the area those 850s crash do I can see a quick flip back

I think u snow there's going to be plenty of lift as this deepens outside OBX and minus 2 at 850 and 33 get it done. .That's where knyc and EWR accumulate . Then as that center gets to AC there should enough of an easterly component so the coast flips

but as that center gets east of the area those 850s crash do I can see a quick flip back

Yep, paste to rain to snow... With only slushy accums front end then a few inches on the back. Of course, lots of time

Airmass is very borderline at the start, 540 thicknesses generally north/West of the metro. BL is a problem for the coast. If a few inches are to fall in nyc s and even I think it's on the back side.

never put any faith in back end snows in a storm, been burned 90% of the time with that prediction in several storms. im expecting maybe mix to start where I am (SW Suffolk county) to rain and staying as that. last time ive seen atleast respectable backend snows was Xmas 02'

It's over an inch liquid for mostly everyone, warning criteria snowfall west of the GSP. One layer is above freezing, not sure what it is as I've looked at 850mb 700mb and 925mb and they all look okay. The 700mb low closes off right overhead.

ALso, I know you mentioned only 1 layer above freezing, but this looks to be a very amped storm... the harder the precip falls the better it is for it to change or stay snow vs lighter accum and it switches to snizzle or rain.

Archived