Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
November 16-17 Snowfall Event

Chicago WX

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If I had to use only one model to base a forecast on in the short/medium range, it's no doubt going to be the Euro. That being said, there's not an OP model out there that's nails 6+ days out. Accuracy scores certainly tell the tale there. 

Anywho, occasional mood flakes continue here.  

Flakes falling here now 20 miles E of MIE.  Shouldn't call them flakes more like clusters of smaller flakes, kinda strange looking, but a decent -SN for about the last 30 min.  Not sticking yet,  ground temps just above freezing, 33 by my measurement 2 inches deep.  Thats going to change quick though I believe.  Radar showing a decent band setting up from about my area SW all the way to just north of Terre Haute.  Last winter was my first full winter after 25 years in the SE, I might be ready for this one  :pimp:

This little band may have been just enough to cool the ground temps, starting to stick on the grass and trees.  

This mornings update from KIND

1430Z UPDATE...GOOD NEWS/BAD NEWS WITH THIS LATE MORNING UPDATE.

THE GOOD NEWS IS THAT THE FORECAST APPEARS TO BE RIGHT ON

TRACK. AND THE BAD NEWS IS THAT YES...THE FORECAST APPEARS TO BE

RIGHT ON TRACK FOR ADVISORY CONDITIONS DEVELOPING ACROSS MOST OF

CENTRAL INDIANA LATER TODAY AND CONTINUING OVERNIGHT. IN ALL

SERIOUSNESS...ONLY NEEDED TO MAKE A FEW MINOR CHANGES TO THE FIRST

6-12 HOURS OF FORECAST PERIOD TO ACCOUNT FOR LATEST TRENDS IN

TEMPS/DEW POINTS/POPS. PREVIOUS DISCUSSION FOLLOWS.

It's already a failure for here because it's showing measurable precip for LAF in the next couple of hours...only thing accumulating here is overcast...but here's the 17z HRRR total run QPF. Buyer beware. 

attachicon.gif11:16 17z HRRR precip.png

i dont know if this means anything, but I have noticed in previous winters that the HRRR distinctly runs ahead. Meaning, it will show snow starting at say 1pm when it really doesnt start til 2 or 3pm.

Oh, ILN...This the current Watch/Warning/Advisory map and the snow totals listed in their WSW and WWAs...

Realistically could have been handled by a broad brush advisory. The wording is almost identical, but I guess because of a slightly shorter time for snow in the warning area, they went with a warning.

:arrowhead:

That doesn't make a whole lot of sense. You would think the advisory vs. winter storm warning criteria would be similar in these areas, or have a gradient north to south

Checking area radars, some of the better banding looks like it may align somewhat farther north at least in the short term.  Upstream radar actually looks pretty good when extrapolating into our area.

Looks ok to our west on the ILX radar, but man...not much margin for error.

Kinda OT: Anybody have any thoughts about how the PGFS has been doing so far this season? Anybody have a free link to PGFS data? I haven't really been following it, and I am kind of excited the GFS will be upgraded to a "hi-res" 13km model on Dec 17th when it replaces the current GFS (last date i heard about the transition anyways).

Kinda OT: Anybody have any thoughts about how the PGFS has been doing so far this season? Anybody have a free link to PGFS data? I haven't really been following it, and I am kind of excited the GFS will be upgraded to a "hi-res" 13km model on Dec 17th when it replaces the current GFS (last date i heard about the transition anyways).

http://www.tropicaltidbits.com

http://mageval.ncep.noaa.gov

Archived