• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter 2014-15 Med/Long Range Discussion

Chicago Storm

This pattern upcoming is amazing to me and I just don't see any signs of an end to it once it starts tomorrow and Wednesday....at least for a few weeks right on through Thanksgiving and then who knows. The ridging along the west coast doesn't look to budge over the coming 10 days and that just buckles the jet continuously allowing for continued dumps of very cold air into the CONUS. The PV looks like it will be setting up over Hudson Bay with waves rotating around it and dislodging the cold air already in place up in Canada and then they come advecting south and now you're also building up a snow pack to our north. Just do a trace looking at 850mb temps of where the heck that air is originating from? Way way up there in northern Canada and points north. I think you could argue the cold shots will only get colder as time goes on and I'm just using the 18z GFS here. We had all the polar vortex hype with this first cold shot but the core of it was not even close to coming down. The PV showing up in the medium range guidance looks stronger and that one might come further south. Now you continue to get these waves crashing into the ridge along the west coast but it doesn't seem to budge over time. With the colder SST anomalies out over the northern Pacific, you already look to have a pretty active jet.....and as it looks now, the cold air is just going to keep coming down as it recharges in Canada. But the question is will it stay cold and dry or will it get active along with all this cold air? You'll need either the ridge to break down allowing for waves to crash into CA or that area every few days and have a more E-W orientated baroclinic zone....or you'll need waves to survive the trip around the ridge and back down into the pac NW/nrn plains and then be able to amplify over the central part of the country as they rotate around the base of the overall trof and hope the big PV doesn't suppress everything that tries to do so.

Nice write up T-Snow...

I remember last year the switch flipped the second week of December regarding cold air....from there, there was no looking back.  It's hard to believe that that can happen a month early this year...but with what the models are showing it is starting to get that "no looking back" appearance already.  If some additional, legit snowpack can be added regionally over the next few weeks it might just indeed be no looking back.

via the 12Z GFS....

I "love" how that west coast ridge just keeps fighting back...

post-5865-0-91470800-1415725850_thumb.pn

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Canadian was like 20˚ too cold last winter with min temps...in the bigger cold shots. 

But fun fantasy land temps nonetheless. :D

Region temps at 216 and 240 hours.

attachicon.gif11:11 12z ggem 216.png

attachicon.gif11:11 12z ggem 240.png

Indiana temps at 216 and 240 hours.

attachicon.gif11:11 12z ggem vodka.png

attachicon.gif11:11 12z ggem 240 indiana.png

I remember those runs where it had LAF down in the -30s.  Might have even been -40.  :lmao:

GGEM total snowfall through 150 hours.

Won't have to worry about borderline temperatures/marginal boundary layers!

attachicon.gifcmc_snow_acc_east_26.png

Brings up an interesting point...normally you want decent rates at this time of year to get it to stick but with days of cold air prior to snow chances, maybe it won't need to snow as hard as usual to get it to stick?

That is absolute insanity.  Not that we should believe it will get that cold, but for the heck of it I looked up our record low for that day and it's 7 degrees.  This is a reporting site that has been around for over 100 years.

yeah....not expecting those temps to come to fruition...good to know the "20 degree to low nugget" for future reference though...

If nothing else, all the models are not shying away from below normal temps through the extended

Brings up an interesting point...normally you want decent rates at this time of year to get it to stick but with days of cold air prior to snow chances, maybe it won't need to snow as hard as usual to get it to stick?

probably not even a worry the way it's looking with 850's progged as cold as they are. Heck, even the warmest 925mb temp around here the next ten days is like -6 deg C. 

12z Euro continues with some light snow for many on Saturday/Sunday. "Best" snows, outside the LES belts, are from WI/IL on westward...kinda craps out as heads into Indiana. But, should see some flakes here regardless.

Fantasy land storm is still there, but it's a little...eh, discombobulated at the moment. 

last nights GEM has an overrunning event followed by a clipper for late weekend into next week...

and does this with 2M temps 7 days from now....

attachicon.gifgem_T2m_eus_31.png

Too cold, too early! Doubt it verifies though. Maybe around 10* would work out for some areas.

With it being cold all this week, I would think it would not take a very fast snowfall rate to have it stick. Paved surfaces of course would take the longest for the snow to stick. But the snow on Halloween that fell here stuck to everything except the pavement, so as long as air temperatures are below freezing, even a light snowfall should stick.

Poking around at some forecast soundings for the weekend snow, the DGZ looks fairly deep in some areas.  Too early to get into specifics but some areas would stand a chance to put up higher than average ratios if things hold.  Normally you wouldn't consider it with potentially only light snowfall rates in an early season setup.

Poking around at some forecast soundings for the weekend snow, the DGZ looks fairly deep in some areas.  Too early to get into specifics but some areas would stand a chance to put up higher than average ratios if things hold.  Normally you wouldn't consider it with potentially only light snowfall rates in an early season setup.

I was thinking along those lines, but neglected to look into it at all (and in all honesty I don't have the deepest understanding of the soundings to make any substantive remarks)....but off the cuff I was thinking (and kind of lol'ing to myself after looking at the calendar) that a fluffier snow may not be out of the question in some areas with this potential event.

Archived