Newest Member
    joxey
Winter 2014-15 Med/Long Range Discussion

Chicago Storm

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

zzzzzzzz

Yup, lame until further notice. Even when the cool down comes (and it may be later than a lot are expecting), we've been locked in a dry pattern since the beginning of October that doesn't look like it's going anywhere.

Punt until Christmas.

Call looking solid.

Yup, lame until further notice. Even when the cool down comes (and it may be later than a lot are expecting), we've been locked in a dry pattern since the beginning of October that doesn't look like it's going anywhere.

El Nino FTL.

Call looking solid.

El Nino FTL.

I wonder how good an analog 2002-03 (mod. El Nino) is? So far there's a bit of a mirror job going on. Cold shot with snow in mid-November followed by a prolonged "relaxing" starting in late November. Really didn't recover until the pre-Christmas storm but from then on out we rocked and rolled.*

* although I recall the western part of the subforum never really got into a wintry groove that winter.

In all seriousness, it hasn't been that dry down this way. Aug. and Sept. were way above normal and Oct. and Nov. are right at normal.

FWA

August________6.04" +2.40"

Sept._________4.90" +2.10"

Oct.__________2.78" -0.06"

Nov. (thru 29th)_3.05" +0.17"

Quite frankly, I'm not sure Oct-Nov precipitation means a ton for winter. Relatively small sample size, but here are the CONUS precipitation departure maps for Oct-Nov and the following Dec-Feb going back to 2007. At times there's a match, at other times it's a complete flip. Sorry, lots of images coming up.

Looking over the 0z ensembles for the next 2 weeks, it doesn't look completely void of action by any means. But southern parts of the sub-forum would do best in the modeled pattern. Of course when I say best, most if not all of it will be rain. :lol:

As for cold and snow prospects, it's pretty ugly through mid-month for most. Doesn't mean something can't sneak through, but I wouldn't bet on it. I think patience may be warranted this winter. 

Quite frankly, I'm not sure Oct-Nov precipitation means a ton for winter. Relatively small sample size, but here are the CONUS precipitation departure maps for Oct-Nov and the following Dec-Feb going back to 2007. At times there's a match, at other times it's a complete flip. Sorry, lots of images coming up.

Wow...excellent idea to post this Tim. I didnt realize how often we were dry in the Fall months leading to a wet winter! And two of my favorite winters had the SE MI sector listed as "dry" (2010-11 with 69.1") and "normal (2013-14 with 96.2").

We have actually seen that in many outlooks this winter...calling for a cold winter with below normal precip but normal to above normal snowfall.

Looking over the 0z ensembles for the next 2 weeks, it doesn't look completely void of action by any means. But southern parts of the sub-forum would do best in the modeled pattern. Of course when I say best, most if not all of it will be rain. :lol:

As for cold and snow prospects, it's pretty ugly through mid-month for most. Doesn't mean something can't sneak through, but I wouldn't bet on it. I think patience may be warranted this winter. 

Im with Gilbert....NW flow can still give some snow. Obviously Id prefer big storms as everyone would, but cold with some snow is better than no snow at all.

NAEFS continues to paint above normal temps across the area for 2nd week of December...  nothing tropical, but i can handle 30fs or 20fs...  ice fishermen will love it because we should be able to hold onto most of the pocket ice (main channel is opening back up quickly).

FWIW, it was noted in the New England forum that Judah Cohen's work did show a noted warm bias in the first half of Dec before eastern CONUS turned consistently cold.

I wonder how good an analog 2002-03 (mod. El Nino) is? So far there's a bit of a mirror job going on. Cold shot with snow in mid-November followed by a prolonged "relaxing" starting in late November. Really didn't recover until the pre-Christmas storm but from then on out we rocked and rolled.*

* although I recall the western part of the subforum never really got into a wintry groove that winter.

2002-03 is one of the top analogs overall, especially considering it had a pretty strong +PDO as well. SST wise, the Atlantic shows some strong similarities. The Pacific is warmer in the East this year at this time than 2002, but it was also colder in the north-central/northwest in 2002. The Nino was also a bit more advanced at this point in 2002.

anomnight.11.26.2002.gif

anomnight.11.27.2014.gif

We have a strong GOA system within the 7 day range along with an east asia trough connection.  The models aren't going to be doing so well for the second week of December.

Archived