amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
November Banter

jburns

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not sure how you deal with 5 or 6 feet of snow. It seems like roofs would be caving in all over the place. How would you be able to get anywhere? I guess maybe up there, they have processes and equipment to deal with extreme conditions like that.

If that happened here, I dare say a majority of homes would have roof failures. They just aren't engineered with a snow load factor to withstand 5' snow on top of them (I think it's only 1.05 maybe just 1.0, I'd have to pull out my wood construction engineering book). Even with a standard 1.1 safety factor, the load of that 5' would probably push trusses WAY past the limit they were designed to withstand. And that's your construction engineering nerd fact of the day.

If that happened here, I dare say a majority of homes would have roof failures. They just aren't engineered with a snow load factor to withstand 5' snow on top of them (I think it's only 1.05 maybe just 1.0, I'd have to pull out my wood construction engineering book). Even with a standard 1.1 safety factor, the load of that 5' would probably push trusses WAY past the limit they were designed to withstand. And that's your construction engineering nerd fact of the day.

I believe that should be our construction knurd fact of the day!  ;)

I'm not sure how you deal with 5 or 6 feet of snow. It seems like roofs would be caving in all over the place. How would you be able to get anywhere? I guess maybe up there, they have processes and equipment to deal with extreme conditions like that.

The only person I know up there, indirectly through social networking, posted pictures of it coming down while she was working at home.  Another photo of herself and her husband outside trying to keep the sidewalk between the house and garage clear.  They were standing in the sidewalk shoveling and the snow was shoulder-height on either side of them, and it was still snowing.  I guess they were going outside every hour or two and removing whatever had fallen.  I would repost the photo for you all but I don't know her personally, so I hesitate to copy it.

As for the roads, yeah they get plowed.  They still have several work from home, no school days while this gets sorted though.

I need set list info for tomorrow night in GB

Sister went last night , said it was good.

Sadly, when I saw him, he played a new song first about a machine, somewhere in the middle he snuck in the new people loving people song, the rest were mostly classic hits, the notable missing one was- thunder rolls!? Did not play that at ATL show ! :(

I believe that should be our construction knurd fact of the day! ;)

Touché lol. Now I have myself curious on what the standard is for here vs there and the compare those numbers to what's actually going on. Might have to dig up my book tonight and run some quick numbers (I could do it with a calculator via the internet but what's the fun in that :P)

Touché lol. Now I have myself curious on what the standard is for here vs there and the compare those numbers to what's actually going on. Might have to dig up my book tonight and run some quick numbers (I could do it with a calculator via the internet but what's the fun in that :P)

I was wondering that too after reading your previous post.

What's wrong with sharing his facebook posts here? He doesn't seem to post here anymore, and a lot of posters like his thoughts, but they are not on facebook.

Nothing!  I post that stuff too.  We have lost so many mets that used to post due to them establishing their own social media sites that I think is good to add their free-access commentary to our discussion threads.  Keep it up (I will too)!

Nothing!  I post that stuff too.  We have lost so many mets due to their own social media sites that I think is good to add their free-access commentary to our discussion threads.  Keep it up (I will too)!

Yeah, I still wish they posted here, too. I understand WxSouth having his own site and is on facebook, but seems he could post on here sometimes if he can post on facebook.

I know Allan Huffman posted his winter forecast here, so maybe he will be around when things get interesting around here for winter. But Matthew East hasn't bee around at all. 

Archived