• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Costal storm discussion 10-21-14 to 10-23-14

Allsnow

It looks like the rain set up a bit farther north than modeled no? I thought southern NJ should have gotten a piece of this precip as well (maybe not extreme southern NJ.)

The modeling has been terrible so far. I can't say that it was unexpected giving the convective nature of everything. Even the latest HRRR is way too far south.

Hope it can jog another 50 miles or so further North. Bit of a buzz kill here with black skies and drizzle.

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice bands rotating in from the ocean, looks like Monmouth county is getting pummeled with torrential downpours. Even though the intensity of the storms have weakened, it looks to pour for several hours at least.

Pummeled is right. Been thundering here since about 4am. Up to 0.98" of rain. Getting slammed. 55F.

Pummeled is right. Been thundering here since about 4am. Up to 0.98" of rain. Getting slammed. 55F.

No end in sight either, some intense echos look like they will make it onshore in the next 45 minutes or so. Somebody is gonna see over 4 inches of rain with this I think

That's a really impressive band of heavy rain /inv trof ?/ and there was an area of very impressive rotation about 25 miles off the coast of New Jersey just 90 minutes ago. The circulation in that area could've produced something memorable if it had drifted a bit farther west. 

What we'll see in the next few hours is the band and low level moisture tightening up around the developing sfc low, so this area of heavy rain will drift southwest and you'll start to see radar returns moving from NE to SW after lunch time. I think the short term models did a really good job of picking up on the idea that the heavy rain would stay away from the interior. 

Yup, that looks to be about it for me as far as this band is concerned. Got really nasty and windy in Ramsey for about 15 minutes and now it's just breezy with drizzle. I doubt I picked up anything more than a few hundreths of an inch here and even less at home given the strong subsidence over northern NJ. Oh well, hopefully I can get in on the next band tonight when the low begins coming north.

Anyone notice that both the 12z NAM and GFS have 40+ mph wind gusts this afternoon and night for the coastal sections?

Even 50+mph gusts for Eastern LI.

Must be from the pressure gradient since the low itself isn't that strong at that time.

That batch looks pretty weak..I think the area of precip south of LI if it holds together could bring heavier rain to the rest of the area

It looks weak on KDIX. Not sure which radar site you looked at. The stuff south of Long Island if it holds together should go more towards Monmouth County and miss me.

And if you're talking about the heavy echoes south of the twin forks, the HRRR takes that up into eastern Long Island and southern New England. Eventually a piece of that makes it this far East in a much weakend state.

The coastal that is forming develops a westward pivot and motion later on tonight that rotates through LI and NYC. Euro now agrees as well with the NAM and GFS.

Archived