joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
WxChallenge 2014-2015

Jurg

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just out of curiousity, do you folks down at Penn St do a forecast discussion for the wxchallenge each day?

I just looked at the forecasts coming from you guys and they are all wicked similar......just wondering.

Yeah, we have a class. Actually two classes, but I teach one of them. :)

Wow no kidding.  That's kind of cool.  Wish we had a forecast discussion class.  

Yeah, it's a pretty cool deal. The students tend to come in without much forecast experience, but the feedback is generally very positive. They say they learn a heck of a lot in there. There's no replacement to actually forecasting if you wanna be a better forecaster.

I think most of the top teams have password-protected tools which can be quite helpful and explains some of the score clustering.

I guess one of the top teams left theirs unprotected over the summer...although knowledge tends to spread eventually as people move around from undergrad to grad school.

Looks like Butte had a 39F diurnal cycle recently :-)

I think most of the top teams have password-protected tools which can be quite helpful and explains some of the score clustering.

I guess one of the top teams left theirs unprotected over the summer...although knowledge tends to spread eventually as people move around from undergrad to grad school.

Looks like Butte had a 39F diurnal cycle recently :-)

Billings had a 44F diurnal cycle in 2012 when we had to forecast there.

Is it safe to say Butte really does well with southerly winds? From what I see with the terrain it looks sorta open to the south.

My first thought was southerly winds wouldn't do well with the mountains to the south, but looking closer it looks like there's a decent area of open terrain to the SSW.

Anyone know how I can access the Daily Climate Report for Butte,MT (CLI). I went to the national weather service site in Great Falls, MT and it is not listed there under the cities. Any climo would be good if I can't get that. The only thing I'm looking at right now is the 3-day history from the ASOS station.

I have a feeling winds are going to be the most challenging for this city. There's probably going to be a big spectrum of numbers for the winds I can see it already.

Thanks for posting this! Very helpful. With this in mind I gotta think winds from the west and southwest overnight will have trouble reaching the surface overnight. If that's the case only mid to high level cloud cover would put a damper on otherwise ideal radiational cooling conditions.

Anyone know how I can access the Daily Climate Report for Butte,MT (CLI). I went to the national weather service site in Great Falls, MT and it is not listed there under the cities. Any climo would be good if I can't get that. The only thing I'm looking at right now is the 3-day history from the ASOS station.

I have a feeling winds are going to be the most challenging for this city. There's probably going to be a big spectrum of numbers for the winds I can see it already.

http://forecast.weather.gov/product.php?site=NWS&product=CLI&issuedby=BTM

It's issued by the Missoula NWS :)

Archived