joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
WxChallenge 2014-2015

Jurg

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well Mallow I just did the math and regardless of what happens tomorrow, there is no way I can pass you for a trophy... so hope you win it! 

My numbers 83/56/12/0 (kpap88 here)

Haha, thanks!

In order to get no. 1 in this city, I need the 58F before 06z tonight, and exactly a 57F low and an 83F high tomorrow... so it's a very long shot. But my trophy prospects are a little better. A 58F before 06z tonight would make it much easier for me, but I think I still need either a 57F low or an 83F high tomorrow to do it.

Haha, thanks!

In order to get no. 1 in this city, I need the 58F before 06z tonight, and exactly a 57F low and an 83F high tomorrow... so it's a very long shot. But my trophy prospects are a little better. A 58F before 06z tonight would make it much easier for me, but I think I still need either a 57F low or an 83F high tomorrow to do it.

I won Grand Folks last year on a miracle with my classmate taking runner-up trophy on a even bigger miracle. Nothing is impossible :)

ugh 3 straight hrs of 60 degree obs

There were some high clouds until around 11:15PM. The dew point came down to 57 last hour, winds are still calm and satellite appears to show a break in the clouds for the next few hours. I'm not sure they'll hit 56-57 like we're looking for but I could definitely see 58.

I must have made an error in my calculations... even with a perfect day today, I'm still 0.4 points behind first place (wxBONE).

But with that voodoo magic I pulled nailing both yesterday's 58F and today's 57F (wow am I lucky), all I need for a cat 2 trophy is either a wind at 12kts+, or a high at 83F+. Neither of those is a guarantee at the moment... I'd say I'm at about 50/50 odds for a trophy right now.

No trophy, but am rooting for a few people here who are in position and a grad student here at Ohio U. Lows just didn't work out for me (as Mallow said yesterday, a degree here or a knot there is what it comes down to)...I have no idea how Butte will go but I managed to do well in Cheyenne last year so I can hope.

That 77F is encouraging to me. Only one clear day (Oct 6) since the beginning of October have they not warmed up at least 6F since 11AM. That day was also a southerly day, but the southerlies came in strong which is what stopped the temperatures from rising. So... I have a feeling if I don't get my 83F high today, it'll be because the winds came in strong, making me more likely to get my 12kt wind. And as I said before, all I need is one or the other.

Rut roh raggy. Already a sea breeze kickin in.

Its really hard to tell though if its a "true" sea breeze since the mean synoptic flow is out of the southeast on the backside of the ridge. I think we still have a couple more hours of warming, especially given the perfectly clear skies and little evidence of a distinct temperature gradient near the coastline (it was 80 last hour in the southern Outer Banks at Ocracoke Island). I think 83 still looks rather likely given that it warmed up another 4 degrees from this point yesterday and they had more cloud cover and the seabreeze came in around 21 UTC.

11+ knots should get me into Top 200 and around 10th to 13th among Category 4. 11+ knots will also give me a new career-low score of around -3.4, beating the result from Grand Folks. However, I would've been around -4.0 had I done a forecast Monday night and I'm still beating myself over that :(

Oh well, at least I'm not starting with +2.70 like I did in my WxChallenge debut last year.

Rut roh raggy. Already a sea breeze kickin in.

From my experience, sea breeze usually doesn't kick in until later in afternoon. We'll see, though :)

Still looking like either 82F or 83F today. That one degree makes all the difference in the world for me...

EDIT: Based on nearby Weather Underground stations, though, it seems that the warming has all but stopped. 82F might even be pushing it... in which case, I really need to hope for that 12kt wind.

Well my gamble with the low didn't pay off like I hoped, but if I can nail the high or get a 12+kt wind, I'll finish top 100. I really have done well with the wind, high and precip this city, but I got burned on the low. I had a tough go on that forecast aspect, but hey, I'll take a -3 to -4 after city #1. Let's see how this finishes and then it's off to Butte. Good luck to Mallow and anyone else fighting for a trophy in here

Right now they have it at 81 which happened between 1-2pm. If this sticks to around 80 again on this next update, I highly doubt it'll get to 83

Edit: And with a temp of 80 at the 3pm update, it's not looking like a 83 degree day will be in the books. I hope for Mallow's sake the winds are 12+

Up to 9 knots and with typical +2 or +3 knots for climo, he has a fighting chance.

Archived