Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
WxChallenge 2014-2015

Jurg

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank you for the link. Yeah I saw that when doing a google search but how is it so incredibly accurate, it blows away the NAM and GFS MOS in comparison. I guess my question is what exactly IS it?

It stands for "Uncoupled Surface Layer Model." I myself don't know a whole lot about the physics of it. I believe it's proprietary which is why you don't find much about it on a Google search. Here is a pdf file about it that I found: http://www.met.sjsu.edu/~voss/MET171B/lec/usl-notes.pdf

69/30/21/0.00

High and winds I'm fairly confident on.  That low?  Yeah that was a gamble.  My thinking was that last night was 30, and the Dew tonight should be lower (and the MOSs were handling the Td better than the SREF members, which is why I sided with them and their 30 and 29).  Going against that, of course, is some WAA, and its associated cloud cover.  

But I mean, it's all just a game anyway.

This will either go really well or really bad but I went 66/38/20/0.

I didn't like that MOS gave clear or mostly clear skies tonight and tomorrow when I think there will be a decent deck of high clouds for most of the time. Some of the hi-res models kept lows tonight above 40 which I thought was unreasonable, but I leaned warmer than MOS. We shall see.

Doesn't look good for those who went with low-30s, as dewpoint is up to 32. Cooling also stopped at 1 am MDT last night, so there's a risk of temperature stall in few hours from now while still in mid-30s/upper-30s.

Maybe calm winds will do the trick for those in low-30s camp? 

Archived