September 2014 General Discussion

From the DTX HWO...

.DAYS TWO THROUGH SEVEN...FRIDAY THROUGH WEDNESDAY

SCATTER TO NUMEROUS THUNDERSTORMS ARE EXPECTED TO DEVELOP ON
FRIDAY AS A STRONG COLD FRONT ENTERS SOUTHEAST MICHIGAN. THESE
STORMS WILL BE STRONG TO SEVERE DURING THE AFTERNOON HOURS INTO THE
EARLY EVENING HOURS.
HEAVY RAINFALL IS POSSIBLE. THUNDERSTORMS
WILL END FROM NORTH TO SOUTH FRIDAY EVENING AND FRIDAY NIGHT.

• Replies 797
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From the DTX HWO...

.DAYS TWO THROUGH SEVEN...FRIDAY THROUGH WEDNESDAY

SCATTER TO NUMEROUS THUNDERSTORMS ARE EXPECTED TO DEVELOP ON

FRIDAY AS A STRONG COLD FRONT ENTERS SOUTHEAST MICHIGAN. THESE

STORMS WILL BE STRONG TO SEVERE DURING THE AFTERNOON HOURS INTO THE

EARLY EVENING HOURS. HEAVY RAINFALL IS POSSIBLE. THUNDERSTORMS

WILL END FROM NORTH TO SOUTH FRIDAY EVENING AND FRIDAY NIGHT.

I'm interested to see if DTX will go with a Flash Flood Watch for Detroit and surrounding areas tomorrow, given the drainage problems as of late with these water-logged t'storms and the fact that the best threat for convection is during rush hour.

00z NAM is fairly generous with the instability for tomorrow...

I'm interested to see if DTX will go with a Flash Flood Watch for Detroit and surrounding areas tomorrow, given the drainage problems as of late with these water-logged t'storms and the fact that the best threat for convection is during rush hour.

00z NAM is fairly generous with the instability for tomorrow...

I say there is a chance especially if the front is slower and flatter coming through, like it looks like it could be.

73°/68° here. Skilling predicting 84° tomorrow and then 70s for the rest of the 7 day except one day next week at 80°.

He was showing that big buckle in the jet stream the GFS was advertizing late next week.

Pic of some cool mid level clouds (altoculumlus?) late this afternoon.

1980332_10204844935390108_29415826486523

It is the RGEM (which always overdoes the instability values), but it's not often that we get such a widespread area of -10 or greater LIs and CAPE values of 4000-6000 J/KG to build up that far NE in September. Just the fact that it's even progging these extreme values at all is impressive in itself (and it's an increase from the previous runs).

LI_PN_UU_VV_018_0000.gif

BE_BE_PN_018_0000.gif

It has been thundering nonstop since 9 pm.  Even had a 3 hour power outage during the night.  Feels like a season changing rain event.

Also worth noting, as of yesterdays Army Corps report, Lake MI is currently at its long term seasonal average.  First time in years it hasn't registered below a seasonal average.  An impressive rise of 3' in 2 years, and 18" in the past 12 months alone. 

Always enjoy your early morning check-in along the lake , Alek.

Down here, it's going to be an underwear peeler with some mu CAPE approaching 5000 j/kg. Not much forcing, but we should be able to pop off a few strong boomers here late this afternoon/this evening.

Yeah timing looks much better down your way

nice look at the deep moisture being pulled off the western gulf and wrapped up through the western plains into the lakes...incoming airmass and east coast ridge showing up nicely. It's a fun late summer / early fall pattern that has produced some great ridge rollers for the northwoods into Bo land.

Def a non Chicago feel to the air today...typically when it's this warm and muggy this early in the morning there is a decent southerly breeze....not much thus far this morning. 

Bees are acting a bit crazy this morning...pretty aggressive and fearless fwiw.  I think I also counted about 8 billion wolf spiders around my house this morning.

Def a non Chicago feel to the air today...typically when it's this warm and muggy this early in the morning there is a decent southerly breeze....not much thus far this morning. 

Bees are acting a bit crazy this morning...pretty aggressive and fearless fwiw.  I think I also counted about 8 billion wolf spiders around my house this morning.

Yeah bees are getting more aggressive as we shift closer to Autumn.

Atmosphere is pretty nasty this morning. Breeze does help a little. 80°/72° here at RAC. 

81 here with 80% humidity.  Bees were everywhere today.  Had four of them hanging around the kitchen window while making breakfast.  They normally get more aggressive this time of year, but today, they seem a bit more so.

Archived