Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
E PA/NJ/DE/Okle: Banter/Non Storm OBS thread

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My annual pics of the banana and palm trees before I put them in their shelter later this week.

This will be their 4th winter.   The wind tore the banana leaves a bit, they get rather delicate

after some cold.

Nice plants. I think you answered this last year, but what is the minimum temp in the shelter?

Any chance of Pennsylvania grown bananas one day?

Nice plants. I think you answered this last year, but what is the minimum temp in the shelter?

Any chance of Pennsylvania grown bananas one day?

I have a heater that comes on to keep temperature 40+.   Unfortunately due to daytime heating from the sun,

they grow through the winter so I have to cut them back a couple times as they get jammed against the roof.

I'm not sure if the severe pruning I give them (back to 6' high) before putting them to bed is going discourage

fruit production.   Haven't been able to find anything about that on the web.  

Hope they are okay after last night, I didn't expect to be at 32 this morning.    Putting the shelter over them

this afternoon or tomorrow.    Expecting upper 20's Sunday night.

Today I discovered that even if a leaf isn't actually blocking the Davis tipping bucket, if the stalk extends down towards one side or the other of the collector, it might not register any rainfall...

Leaf stalks seem to always find a way to insert themselves in the little hole at the bottom of the collector.   A perfect fit.

Then it's amazing how quickly the collector fills up with 0.00" on the display.

Leaf stalks seem to always find a way to insert themselves in the little hole at the bottom of the collector.   A perfect fit.

Then it's amazing how quickly the collector fills up with 0.00" on the display.

This was a bit different.  I think the rain was running down the leaf stalk and missing the collector entirely.  Nothing collected in the Davis.  (In case you are wondering, plenty of water was in the CoCoRaHS gauge and now that the leaf is gone, the Davis is functioning normally).

Today I discovered that even if a leaf isn't actually blocking the Davis tipping bucket, if the stalk extends down towards one side or the other of the collector, it might not register any rainfall...

Hmm.  First problem I've had with my Davis station in 3 years occurred this morning when it quit recording rainfall after 0.05".  Hoping it's just a simple clog.  If this rain ever stops I'll have to get up on my roof and give it a look.  

Some other local stations are reporting between .8 and 1.00".  

Archived