• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
E PA/NJ/DE/Okle: Banter/Non Storm OBS thread

The lack of snow potential in the long range GFS and ECM the last two days is painful. 1977 was an awful winter...

It's November - patience :lmao:.

Having said that, what about the 00z Euro around day 8-9?

1976-77 was very impressive for cold, not so much so for snow. On the positive side, no two winters are the same, too many variables.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's November - patience :lmao:.

Having said that, what about the 00z Euro around day 8-9?

1976-77 was very impressive for cold, not so much so for snow. On the positive side, no two winters are the same, too many variables.

J/k - but i do want to get off to a quick start this winter, otherwise the coming cold feels like a continuation of the last 6 weeks of winter of 2014

One has to consider most around here realizing it or not are having their expectations changed due to the number of snowier than normal winters since the beginning on this century.  2001-2006 above normal except 2002 and 2010-2014 a five year period minus 2012 that is unprecedented. I always fear a return of 1980-1992, youngins on the board couldn't handle that :lol:

One has to consider most around here realizing it or not are having their expectations changed due to the number of snowier than normal winters since the beginning on this century.  2001-2006 above normal except 2002 and 2010-2014 a five year period minus 2008,2012 that is unprecedented. I always fear a return of 1980-1992, youngins on the board couldn't handle that :lol:

Oh, they so couldn't :P

Having been away starting 03-04, I've grown more and more jealous.

If I ever get back to the area, most likely the snowy winter trend will end and it WILL go back to the winters of my youth... :P

If I ever get back to the area, most likely the snowy winter trend will end and it WILL go back to the winters of my youth... :P

Didn't know you have been away from the area that long, at least you have 02-03 and left on a high note :whistle:

There is always an escape option to the finger lakes, New England if things go south hehe

I bet even had you been in the same area of Jersey these last 10 years you would still be jealous. The snow fire hosing of Monmouth County the last decade is now legendary.

Didn't know you have been away from the area that long, at least you have 02-03 and left on a high note :whistle:

There is always an escape option to the finger lakes, New England if things go south hehe

I wasn't far away from 03-04 to 05-06, being over in State College.  I moved out west mid-winter 06-07, right as it turned on a dime and got cold and sleety.  I guess that was just a taste of things to come as far as the influence of my departure :P

76-77 across the region featured below normal temperatures and below normal snowfall. If you aren't a big cold fan but are a big snow fan, then that would suck.

if you're a big snow fan then in your bubble over 80% of the winters in Philly will "suck"

if you accept the reality that is climo for this area then 76-77 hardly "sucks" from a snowfall standpoint, 13th snowiest JAN on record & 19" for the season are really nothing to complain about...

if you're a big snow fan then in your bubble over 80% of the winters in Philly will "suck"

if you accept the reality that is climo for this area then 76-77 hardly "sucks" from a snowfall standpoint, 13th snowiest JAN on record & 19" for the season are really nothing to complain about...

It would hardly suck, if temps were normal.

But like I said, if you are a fan of snow but not cold, then pound for pound, you got way more cold for the amount of snow than you were "due".  So, it would suck. 

If you count PHL winters that reaches or exceeds the current normal of 22.4 (which is very close to the long-term mean, btw), that includes 56 of the 130 winters currently on the books.  Hardly 20%.  1976-77's total of 18.7" actually ranks 55th least snowy.

It would hardly suck, if temps were normal.

But like I said, if you are a fan of snow but not cold, then pound for pound, you got way more cold for the amount of snow than you were "due".  So, it would suck. 

If you count PHL winters that reaches or exceeds the current normal of 22.4 (which is very close to the long-term mean, btw), that includes 56 of the 130 winters currently on the books.  Hardly 20%.  1976-77's total of 18.7" actually ranks 55th least snowy.

LOL - so 22.5" is your good snow threshold & 18.7" sucks

I was only 4 years old in winter of 1976-1977 and I was living up in North Jersey anyway, but I wonder how Cape May (extreme S Jersey in general) fared with snow totals since I would assume that winter featured a supressed track?   Records for this area are difficult to come by so any help would be appreciated.  My FIL told me that a water main froze and flooded the center of town and then froze solid.  Must have been fun ice skating through town.

I was only 4 years old in winter of 1976-1977 and I was living up in North Jersey anyway, but I wonder how Cape May (extreme S Jersey in general) fared with snow totals since I would assume that winter featured a supressed track?   Records for this area are difficult to come by so any help would be appreciated.  My FIL told me that a water main froze and flooded the center of town and then froze solid.  Must have been fun ice skating through town.

I don't have any data for you, but I imagine the snowfall was relatively uniform across the area. The only exception may have been from a storm that (days before) looked like it could be a coastal but turned out to be an Apps runner (came out of the GOM). Here we had a few (3?) inches of snow before the change to rain. I don't recall the date but it may have been early February. That was a bit of a kick in the teeth after all the cold we had had for the 2 (plus) previous months. We had been in a bit of a Nor'easter snow drought for a few years, which didn't end until the following winter. So maybe Cape May wound up with 16" plus or minus? An educated WAG.

opinion only, climo says otherwise

what does this even mean, of course it is his opinion, and climo would say that when this region is that below normal temperature-twise, it is reasonable to be say that winter dissapointed in terms of snowfall.   that is the point ray was trying to make.

Only 83% of normal is not an opinion.

I think what he is saying is that it is close enough to normal snowfall for it not to cout as "Sucking" per se.  But as I just said in response to his post, if you take winters with that kind of cold departure and compare them to other seasons with that kind of cold, then you arrive at the conclusion that only 18 inches of snow that winter was a dissapointment.   If i wasn't too lazy I would actually do this, of course lol.

I think what he is saying is that it is close enough to normal snowfall for it not to cout as "Sucking" per se.  But as I just said in response to his post, if you take winters with that kind of cold departure and compare them to other seasons with that kind of cold, then you arrive at the conclusion that only 18 inches of snow that winter was a dissapointment.   If i wasn't too lazy I would actually do this, of course lol.

It really isn't rocket science, 86% of your mean annual snowfall is not awful or "sucks" - #Climo

If you weren't lazy you'd see that extreme cold winters on record at Philadelphia are NOT a direct correlation to significantly above AVE seasonal snowfall. In fact it's less than a 60-40% correlation so very cold winters with mediocre (slightly below / above AVE) snowfall are not an anomaly rather a distinct "disappointing" possibility. Of the top 20 coldest winters on record at Philadelphia 17 have snowfall data, out of those 17 years 10 had significantly above AVE snowfall while 7 had near average snow. - #Climo squared

It really isn't rocket science, 86% of your mean annual snowfall is not awful or "sucks" - #Climo

If you weren't lazy you'd see that extreme cold winters on record at Philadelphia are NOT a direct correlation to significantly above AVE seasonal snowfall. In fact it's less than a 60-40% correlation so very cold winters with mediocre (slightly below / above AVE) snowfall are not an anomaly rather a distinct "disappointing" possibility. Of the top 20 coldest winters on record at Philadelphia 17 have snowfall data, out of those 17 years 10 had significantly above AVE snowfall while 7 had near average snow. - #Climo squared

Oh dear lord.

First its 83%.

Second its 17% below normal.

Third, on a warm winter, that wouldn't be bad, but with a cold winter, that sucks.  Unless you are a cold nut.  In which case (and only in such case) it would not suck. 

Archived