joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
July 2014

SACRUS

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not sure why. All the good models have activity.

Today is one of those days that can surprise many. We need the SPC to stop issueing the moderate risks etc. its the equivelant of henry marguisity hopping on a snowstorm, the kiss of death literally :lol: slight risk/see text is the honey hole!

Of course, but with a persistent trough in the Great lakes region, I would say the odds are low this year of seeing anything sustained for heat/humidity.

With LGA currently running at 77.3 degrees in July, the odds of any sustained heat coming in August is

pretty slim. The last 5 times LGA averaged 75.9-77.9 in July there were only 3-7 90 degree days in August.

August...90 degree days...July average temperature

Hope you're kidding. We've seen temps well into the 90s right through the first half of September. It's like calling winter over on January 30th.

I didn't say we wouldn't see anymore 90s. I said the opportunities will start to dwindle based on the pattern we've been in that's not forecast to change very much. Bluewaves stats back this up to some degree and I'm referring to widespread 90F+ readings which have been rare thus far.

I'm sure there will be days where the hotter spots hit 90 while others miss the mark but how many more times will we see a region wide 90+ day/s with the pattern we've been in.

With LGA currently running at 77.3 degrees in July, the odds of any sustained heat coming in August is

pretty slim. The last 5 times LGA averaged 75.9-77.9 in July there were only 3-7 90 degree days in August.

August...90 degree days...July average temperature

Great stats bluewave.   How did 2001 and 98 fit in?

I didn't say we wouldn't see anymore 90s. I said the opportunities will start to dwindle based on the pattern we've been in that's not forecast to change very much. Bluewaves stats back this up to some degree and I'm referring to widespread 90F+ readings which have been rare thus far.

I'm sure there will be days where the hotter spots hit 90 while others miss the mark but how many more times will we see a region wide 90+ day/s with the pattern we've been in.

I agree that the overall pattern should continue to be one that promotes intervals / transient bursts of 90F+ heat and generally no prolonged heat waves. I could definitely see stretches of 3 consecutive 90+ days in August, though I believe it will be difficult to string together more than 3 in a row.

I didn't use July 2001 since LGA was 75.1 and 1998 was 78.0.

Also left out 2009 which was 74.5.

Good stuff.  I think other than 2001 its tough to find summers that were near normal or below in July that featured hot Augusts.  There is always a first I guess but I think we continue with +1- +1.5 type of stuff. 

I agree that the overall pattern should continue to be one that promotes intervals / transient bursts of 90F+ heat and generally no prolonged heat waves. I could definitely see stretches of 3 consecutive 90+ days in August, though I believe it will be difficult to string together more than 3 in a row.

Still indications after the trough lifts out jul 30th that on/around 8/1 a warm and deep southerly flow develops as the WAR expands west.  Looks warm and humid 8/1 - 8/6. 

A couple of Mets have been saying this and now DT has joined the train:

... put a fork in the summer with respect to any *** SUSTAINED ** Heat .. (temps above 92) for the REST of the Summer of 2014...

done

over

kaput

NOT gonna happen

That's a really dumb thing to say with only half the summer over.

That's a really dumb thing to say with only half the summer over.

We're past the midpoint of met summer which was 7/15.  Sustained 90's becomes tough after 8/10 or so, so I can see why he's saying that.  Plus seasonal trend has been for no heat...it's not really a bold statement at all. As some one noted above, hard to get a hot August after an average June/July

We're past the midpoint of met summer which was 7/15.  Sustained 90's becomes tough after 8/10 or so, so I can see why he's saying that.  Plus seasonal trend has been for no heat...it's not really a bold statement at all. As some one noted above, hard to get a hot August after an average June/July

We've had heat waves past Labor Day before. It's like cancelling winter on Groundhog's Day.

We've had heat waves past Labor Day before. It's like cancelling winter on Groundhog's Day.

Sure we have, but most of them have been with hotter summers.   Doesn't mean we can't get one this year, but based on past history it's unlikely especially with a persistent trough in the eastern US

on the flip side if it's been warm and dry in winter going into early Feb, it's highly unlikely (outside of 06-07) to suddenly flip to cold/snow.

I remember in winters 01-02 and 11-12  there were some that held on way too long....

Good stuff.  I think other than 2001 its tough to find summers that were near normal or below in July that featured hot Augusts.  There is always a first I guess but I think we continue with +1- +1.5 type of stuff. 

The interesting thing about 2001 is that although July was cool at -1.3, there was a hot 96/82  LGA degree day

later in the month. There was also another hint that the summer could produce some heat as June averaged

+3.3 at LGA.

A couple of Mets have been saying this and now DT has joined the train:

... put a fork in the summer with respect to any *** SUSTAINED ** Heat .. (temps above 92) for the REST of the Summer of 2014...

done

over

kaput

NOT gonna happen

For where?  DC, Baltimore, Philly, NJ NYC?

the latest euro has a pig of a ridge retrogressing west toward day 10. so does the gfes starting around 180 hrs

http://mp1.met.psu.edu/~fxg1/ENSHGTAVGNH_12z/ensloopmref.html

if this were winter, you would ridicule someone for discussing a day 10 map.   I'll believe it when I see it,  that trough in the GL has been reloading week after week.

Archived