Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
June 21st and beyond heavy rain thread

A-L-E-K

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Areas in W. IL and E. IA have put up some big numbers and more high PWAT thunderstorms action is on the way.

Discuss non-severe heavy rain / training convection ITT

Don't forget about Southern Wisconsin.  We've seen upwards of 4" of rain in the last three days, and the extended, especially next Monday and Tuesday, looks wet.

The Omaha area got rocked again overnight.  I had to run out to set up my gauge at 3:30am when a little isolated cell popped up, although we only got a few hundredths out of it.  I'm not sure how much rain we'll get the rest of the weekend and Monday.  Some of the models have backed off of the organized low moving up over us Monday.

Got 1.20" at my house yesterday.  The Cedar Rapids airport got 2.17", whooping me for the third straight rain event.  My June total is 7.07" while the airport is up to 8.93".  The airport is 6 miles south of me.

The Cedar River is forecast to crest at low end major flood in a couple days, although there are few problems until it gets a foot or two higher.

classic hawkeye post^

Not sure what the point of this post is.

I thought it was worth mentioning how well the airport has been doing with storms recently and the unusually large disparity between my rain totals and the (only 6 miles away) official Cedar Rapids totals. I haven't exactly been missed by the storms. Next month I may outdo the airport.

My current June rain total of 7.07" is pretty impressive, but still a little shy of last year's June total.  I just hope regular rain continues throughout summer and doesn't shut off like it did late last summer.

The river here is cresting at 5.5 ft above flood stage later today.  It does not look like there will be any widespread heavy rain until the weekend into early next week, so the area rivers should fall back to relatively normal levels by then.

There could be heavy rain complexes again Saturday night through Monday, which would just beat the month change and add to the already high June totals.

Reminds me of 2009 below average temps with rain. 4th of July that year was 70s and rain.

Only one problem with that...

June 2009 had a -0.6 temp departure. June 2014 is sitting at +2.0 as of yesterday...and is a lock to end up higher by the end of the month.

But yea, it's been wet.

June 2009 had a -0.6 temp departure. June 2014 is sitting at +2.0 as of yesterday...and is a lock to end up higher by the end of the month.

But yea, it's been wet.

This month reminds me more like June 2010 both in terms of activity and rainfall. DTW that month was +2.4 with 5.42" and this month +0.6 with 4.00" of rain but it looks to warm through the rest of the month.

So far, FNT has 2.24" for the month. However, FNT has had a lot of near-misses on heavy rain that did hit other surrounding areas. I'm not complaining... Last month our sump pump failed while we were out of town and we came home to 18" of water in the lower level. I now have 2 separate 3/4 HP pumps, one set higher in case water overwhelms the main pump. 

Wouldn't be surprised if there are a few strong/severe storms that move along the stalled front/marine boundary. Decent cape on the warm side and that shortwave is providing some shear, especially in N IL

agree, we should see some decent reports in the Dekalb to Joliet corridor

But yea, it's been wet.

Some parts. Every day I leave home and go south east to work it is 10-15 degrees cooler. I guess it just feels cool with all the rain.

Archived