Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
June 21st and beyond heavy rain thread

A-L-E-K

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Picked up 0.73" with the storms that rolled in just after midnight.  That bumps us up to 7.42" for the month too. 

I was talking to a farmer about the corn crop yesterday, and he was astounded at how fast the corn was growing.  He said it's been growing at 4" per day for the past few weeks, and will be ready to tassel in the next week or two.  This is ahead of schedule, which is pretty damn impressive given such a late start to the growing season.  There have been a few fields that have been impacted by some standing water, but even with the 7"+ rain so far this month most of the water actually soaked in pretty nicely in most areas. 

4.80" of rain in barely an hour late this evening at my house.  Several other spotters around the city also reported 4+ inches.  It's the worst yard flooding I've ever experienced.  The nearby creek flows through a flood basin and it was right up to the rim for the first time ever.  It sounded like a raging mountain river.  The flash flooding around the city must have been significant.  I had water coming in through a basement window and now I even have water trickling in through the middle of the wall in a couple spots.  I'm sure plenty of people in CR are getting it much worse.

My June total just jumped up to about 13 inches, leaping past June '08.

Just picked up nearly 1.10" of rain in the last 25 mins.  Monthly total now close to 8.5".

Still haven't seen rain as heavy as when I was living out your way. KDP values easily supporting 4"/hr type stuff.

Sneaky little vortex on the leading edge of that line just to your east too. Probably just missed Tampico to the north about 15-20 minutes ago.

Still haven't seen rain as heavy as when I was living out your way. KDP values easily supporting 4"/hr type stuff.

Sneaky little vortex on the leading edge of that line just to your east too. Probably just missed Tampico to the north about 15-20 minutes ago.

Yeah there was just enough shear to help tighten up a few areas along the advancing line as it crossed the river.  Gotta love these high PWATS this time of year over the MW.  Some more heavy rain starting to move in from the west.  Could make a run at 2" for the night.  Normally that'd be impressive, but compared to Hawk's 4.8" that seems pretty meager lol.

Yeah there was just enough shear to help tighten up a few areas along the advancing line as it crossed the river.  Gotta love these high PWATS this time of year over the MW.  Some more heavy rain starting to move in from the west.  Could make a run at 2" for the night.  Normally that'd be impressive, but compared to Hawk's 4.8" that seems pretty meager lol.

We had a pretty big flash flood last year in NH that dropped a little over 2" on an ASOS in an hour. We don't do 4" in an hour type stuff often around here, but it would do a number.

I finished with 1.56" of rain this afternoon and evening.  My 24 hour total is 6.36".  My final June total is 14.38", smashing the old Cedar Rapids June record by over 2 inches.  What a month!

cyclone, I figured you'd get a good total from the second line.  4.5" is impressive.

I finished with 1.56" of rain this afternoon and evening.  My 24 hour total is 6.36".  My final June total is 14.38", smashing the old Cedar Rapids June record by over 2 inches.  What a month!

cyclone, I figured you'd get a good total from the second line.  4.5" is impressive.

Wow your totals are extremely impressive.  That's a lot of water in 24hrs. 

Rain about over here now.  There are a few elevated trailers that are trying to pop, but they are pretty scattered.  At 4.72" for the day, and now 12.14" for the month, with 9.98" of that coming in the last 11 days (since 19th).

EDIT:  We both suck at significant snow systems, but we dominate significant rainfall events lolz.

Archived