• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Question for Mets: Are we in an El Nino or not?

Jebman

I was wondering, Are we in an El Nino or not? This summer seems a bit warmish and relatively dry for a Nino.

Or is it normal for Nino summers in the Mid Atlantic to be warmer and drier than normal? This has been one fairly warm June. It hit 97 today with a dewpoint of 74.

Its not even summer yet lol.

Thanks in advance

I'm not a met, and it's not yet officially an El Nino Jeb

NINO 3.4 was only +.4C as of last reading on this link and you need +.5C to be at a weak level and then it has to last at or above that level for 5 tri-monthly numbers

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/data/indices/wksst8110.for

NINA/NINO tri-monthly numbers here:

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/analysis_monitoring/ensostuff/ensoyears.shtml

I'm not a met, and it's not yet officially an El Nino Jeb

NINO 3.4 was only +.4C as of last reading on this link and you need +.5C to be at a weak level and then it has to last at or above that level for 5 tri-monthly numbers

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/data/indices/wksst8110.for

NINA/NINO tri-monthly numbers here:

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/analysis_monitoring/ensostuff/ensoyears.shtml

We won't know when/if it technically starts for a long time.  In theory, we could have been in a Nino since May if the May-June-July number is +0.5 and it continues going forward. 

We won't know when/if it technically starts for a long time. In theory, we could have been in a Nino since May if the May-June-July number is +0.5 and it continues going forward.

Exactly, the beginning of an enso event is determined retroactively. Last year was a false signal. This year seems much more promising. We'll see where we are in September.

I think Jeb is thinking too locally about precip. In the last 30 days the vast majority of the area is AOA normal.

Exactly, the beginning of an enso event is determined retroactively. Last year was a false signal. This year seems much more promising. We'll see where we are in September.

I think Jeb is thinking too locally about precip. In the last 30 days the vast majority of the area is AOA normal.

Over 60 days that is very true, in the last month however the precip has been spottier.

post-1746-0-38198900-1403107012_thumb.jp

We are not in a defined El Nino event yet, but the MEI has risen to about 0.9 (an indicator of an El Nino event on the way).  The subsurface indications suggest a full on El Nino coming soon, but the atmospheric variables in the equatorial pacific have not fully behaved yet.  What's concerning for our area is that the bulk of the pacific warmth has been in the eastern regions of ENSO.  That type of behavior is usually indicative of an eastern US ridge.  We need the "3.4 ENSO" region to warm up quickly ala 2009.

We are not in a defined El Nino event yet, but the MEI has risen to about 0.9 (an indicator of an El Nino event on the way).  The subsurface indications suggest a full on El Nino coming soon, but the atmospheric variables in the equatorial pacific have not fully behaved yet.  What's concerning for our area is that the bulk of the pacific warmth has been in the eastern regions of ENSO.  That type of behavior is usually indicative of an eastern US ridge.  We need the "3.4 ENSO" region to warm up quickly ala 2009.

Quicker warm up = better winter?

Quicker warm up = better winter?

Not really, what we need is region 3.4 to be the center of the warmest anomalies. You see it referenced as a "west based" nino event on the boards. 

There are 3 general nino configurations. East based (least desireable), basin wide (not optimal but ok), and west based (best chance for snow on the east coast). 

Not really, what we need is region 3.4 to be the center of the warmest anomalies. You see it referenced as a "west based" nino event on the boards. 

There are 3 general nino configurations. East based (least desireable), basin wide (not optimal but ok), and west based (best chance for snow on the east coast). 

Oooh...I see. Guess I need to read the ENSO thread more.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived