• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Significant Severe Events: June 14th-19th

andyhb

On the subject of the most prolific tornado-producing supercells, my money is on supercell "L" from the Palm Sunday outbreak.

F4 Cambria - Moran, IN

F4 Russiaville - Kokomo - Greentown, IN

F4 Keystone - Wilshire, OH

F4 Cairo - Bluffton, OH

F4 Rockaway, OH

F5 Pittsfield - Strongsville, OH

F3 Brunswick, OH

And in my opinion the damage in and around the Greentown area may have been F5 as well. About a dozen homes were swept cleanly away, there was intense wind rowing and pronounced scouring in the yards of several homes, trees were stripped bare and reportedly left as "small stumps," and vehicles were thrown up to 200 yards.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The last point marked F4 for the Pilger tornado, near the very end of its path, shows some impressive damage with a wind speed of 182 mph. Out of all the images (DAT and otherwise) I've seen, this one, in addition to that of the Pilger church, seems to indicate a structure that has been better built/bolted than the others. If the Pilger tornado is rated EF5, it will be the first in NE since Bradshaw on 05/05/1964.

bWNUo9B.jpg

...the twin tornadoes form an "X" near "X Road"....

Wow...

First crop circles, now X marking the spot. What's next?

Some of the aerials from the Facebook link show impressive wind-rowing and ground scouring:

zkEhLKd.jpg

hMt6fjF.jpg

sgYNQFO.jpg

Coleridge EF3 for now

NOUS43 KOAX 192054
PNSOAX
IAZ043-055-056-069-079-080-090-091-NEZ011-012-015>018-030>034-
042>045-050>053-065>068-078-088>093-200900-

PUBLIC INFORMATION STATEMENT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE OMAHA/VALLEY NE
354 PM CDT THU JUN 19 2014

...NWS DAMAGE SURVEY FOR JUNE 17, 2014 NEAR COLERIDGE NEBRASKA...

.OVERVIEW...

A SUPERCELL THUNDERSTORM DEVELOPED OVER CENTRAL CEDAR COUNTY
DURING THE LATE AFTERNOON HOURS OF JUNE 17TH. THIS STORM WAS
NEARLY STATIONARY OR MOVED SLOWLY SOUTHEAST OVER THE NEXT 4 HOURS
PRODUCING LARGE HAIL...FLOODING AND TORNADOES. THE GROUND SURVEY
OF THE EVENT HAS BEEN COMPLETED...AND WILL BE USED IN CONJUNCTION
WITH RADAR DATA...TORNADO VIDEO...AND AERIAL PHOTOGRAPHY TO
DETERMINE THE ACTUAL NUMBER OF TORNADOES DURING THE EVENT. DUE TO
THE COMPLEX NATURE OF THE EVENT THIS PROCESS WILL TAKE SEVERAL
DAYS TO COMPLETE. THIS INFORMATION STATEMENT DESCRIBES THE
STRONGEST DAMAGE OBSERVED DURING THE GROUND SURVEY OF THE AREA.
MORE DETAILED INFORMATION INCLUDING TIMES...TRACKS AND NUMBER OF
TORNADOES WILL FOLLOW IN THE COMING DAYS.

.COLERIDGE TORNADO...

RATING: EF-3
PATHY LENGTH /STATUTE/: TBD
PATH WIDTH /MAXIMUM/: TBD
START DATE: JUNE 17, 2014
START TIME: TBD
END DATE: JUNE 17, 2014
END TIME: TBD

EF SCALE: THE ENHANCED FUJITA SCALE CLASSIFIES TORNADOES INTO THE
FOLLOWING CATEGORIES.

EF0...WEAK......65 TO 85 MPH
EF1...WEAK......86 TO 110 MPH
EF2...STRONG....111 TO 135 MPH
EF3...STRONG....136 TO 165 MPH
EF4...VIOLENT...166 TO 200 MPH
EF5...VIOLENT...>200 MPH

NOTE:
THE INFORMATION IN THIS STATEMENT IS PRELIMINARY AND SUBJECT TO
CHANGE PENDING FINAL REVIEW OF THE EVENT AND PUBLICATION IN NWS
STORM DATA.

$

The last point marked F4 for the Pilger tornado, near the very end of its path, shows some impressive damage with a wind speed of 182 mph. Out of all the images (DAT and otherwise) I've seen, this one, in addition to that of the Pilger church, seems to indicate a structure that has been better built/bolted than the others. If the Pilger tornado is rated EF5, it will be the first in NE since Bradshaw on 05/05/1964.

There's a comment in the kml file that says this house was not properly anchored.

There's a discrepancy between the EF rating and the estimated winds for that point. It says EF3 but lists estimated winds of 200 mph. It sure looks like the latter from a glance, but obviously that would depend on the construction. 

Think it will be? Both Victor and I are leaning yes from what we've seen. 

Idk... if the Vilonia tornado did not get an EF5 rating, I highly doubt the Pilger tornado would get one. They're both on a similar level.

I will say though, if it does, it will be because of the damage shown in Ground Scouring's aerials a few posts back. The other images are impressive but would not pass today's extremely stringent EF5 standards.

Idk... if the Vilonia tornado did not get an EF5 rating, I highly doubt the Pilger tornado would get one. They're both on a similar level.

I will say though, if it does, it will be because of the damage shown in Ground Scouring's aerials a few posts back. The other images are impressive but would not pass today's extremely stringent EF5 standards.

Or the damage to the church...

It has already been established that continuity is not exactly the easiest thing to find between tornado damage surveys.

A "similar level" between the Pilger and Vilonia tornadoes could easily mean high end EF4 to "low end" EF5 (although in my mind there's no such thing as a low end EF5 since they are incredibly destructive events in every case).

Or the damage to the church...

It has already been established that continuity is not exactly the easiest thing to find between tornado damage surveys.

The church is borderline. I would probably need an aerial to be more confident. The debris wasn't very granulated from what I recall. I would put that damage on a similar level to Chickasha/Goldsby on 5/24/11 (high-end EF4s).

The church is borderline. I would probably need an aerial to be more confident. The debris wasn't very granulated from what I recall. I would put that damage on a similar level to Chickasha/Goldsby on 5/24/11 (high-end EF4s).

Both of them were almost EF5s and in some eyes they should have been EF5s. I mean either way it is right on the cusp of both ratings.

That's a whole different can of worms, but I won't get into it.

If we are specifically expecting debris granulation in order to get an EF5 rating, there's more consideration that needs to be taken into account. Some building materials are less susceptible to granulation than others.

The enthusiast community should come up with its own rating system based on the badass-ness of the tornado. You know that's what we all want the EF scale to be anyway. This would be BA 7 out of 10, elevating up to BA-9 for the brief moment when they crossed paths.

The enthusiast community should come up with its own rating system based on the badass-ness of the tornado. You know that's what we all want the EF scale to be anyway. This would be BA 7 out of 10, elevating up to BA-9 for the brief moment when they crossed paths.

No...it isn't.

Shouldn't be taking this literally, but that would also be incredibly insensitive to the victims of the tornadoes.

No...it isn't.

And what useful information does the EF-3 rating given to El Reno provide us with, other than the actual damage that occurred? Does it tell us anything about the history of violent tornadoes in that area? Does it tell us anything about the potential for violent tornadoes in that area in the future? Is there anyone here that doesn't believe that if that tornado occurred 25 miles east of where it did, it would be the most destructive tornado on record?

No...it isn't.

Shouldn't be taking this literally, but that would also be incredibly insensitive to the victims of the tornadoes.

I would argue that separate rating systems, one for actual damage that occurred, and one for estimated destructive forcing of the tornado itself, would not be completely inappropriate, insensitive or disrespectful. In many cases they would be the same.

Pretty decent cell popping up North of Mason City, NE.  Has +50k tops and showing slight signs of rotation on velocity.  Also in an area of 6000 j/kg cape but really lacking surface shear or decent helicity.  More favorable environment looks to be to the SW of this cell.

Oh and fwiw I forgot to mention that I was on the Humboldt damage survey and we had some corn scoured out of the ground:

10384464_10203436000475951_3501279017357

At least, that's what Todd says.  I'm not rural enough to know what to look for.  To me it looked like this corn was dead leftovers, but you could see how the same farm was greener farther up the hill, so I guess it was.

You all know more about the EF scale than I do, but apparently although ground scouring isn't an official criterion, it usually indicates that a tornado was at least EF3 (or would have been if there was damage to confirm it).

They should rate it--the Lane/Alpena tornado was on the ground for at least a half hour from my vantage point. I didn't see the structural damage firsthand, but power lines were down in one spot and some trees were uprooted. My initial reaction was that the damage was low end on the EF-scale, but I won't get into the whole debate here.

Archived