NNE Spring

mreaves

btw...May 2014 data

Averages

Max 66.7F (-0.3F)

Min 45.0F (+1.7)

Mean 55.8F (+0.6F)

Extremes

HiMax 81.6F (12th) (Record: 90.6F -- 2010)

LoMin 35.0F (7th) (Record: 26.3F -- 2008)

LoMax 52.6F (28th) (Record: 42.7F -- 2008)

HiMin 61.2F (16th) (record: 61.6F -- 2011)

Precip

Monthly 3.41"

MaxDay 0.96" (15th) (Record: 1.46" -- 2011)

Snow 0.0"

Wind

PkGust 26mph (19th) (Record: 36mph -- 2009)

Evapotranspiration

Monthly 3.66"

MaxDay 0.23" (11th)

• Replies 817
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Borrowing your format again...May 2014 data

Averages

Max 63.1F (-1.1F)

Min 40.6F (+1.0)

Mean 52.85F (-0.06F)

Extremes

HiMax 77F (12th) (Record: 89F -- 3rd, 2001)

LoMin 26F (8th) (Record: 21F -- 1st, 2000)

LoMax 49F (1st) (Record: 40F -- 2nd, 2002 and 10th, 2010)

HiMin 55F (16th) (record: 62F -- 26th, 2010)

Low Mean 42.0F (1st) (record: 32.0F -- 2nd, 2002)

High mean 64.5F (16th) (record: 73.5F -- 26th, 2010)

Precip

Monthly 4.41" +0.07"

MaxDay 1.33" (17th) (Record: 2.41" -- 26th,2005)

Snow 0.0"

Most "average" May in my 16 yr here, when temp and precip departures are considered. Probably the "averagest" for any month by that measure. Also had the 2nd smallest range (51F) between high and low, wbeating only the 49 in cold wet 2005 (that month's high was a modest 72.)

There hasn’t been much snow discussion in the NNE thread over the past few days, but we were out on the snow on Sunday, so I can pass along some updates.  We headed over to Mt. Washington and up the Mt. Washington Auto Road, seeing the first signs of snow along the road near the 3,000’ elevation mark in those nooks and crannies protected from the sun.  Up in the alpine, I’d say things are pretty typical for this time of year, and we spent time on one of the Ball Crag snowfields.  All the web cams are showing clouds right now, so I can’t see what things look like currently, but there should be plenty of snow up there still, and Tuckerman Ravine looked like it would be going for a while.  I’ve added a few snow photos from the outing below, and we’ve got a lot more in the gallery with the full report from Sunday.

01JUN14I.jpg

01JUN14R.jpg

01JUN14L.jpg

01JUN14O.jpg

01JUN14Q.jpg

Just had about 11 rain drops and that'll do it for today.

Did pick up 1.01" in the rain gauge while I was down in Albany though from the Tuesday rains. Stowe CoCoRAHS station had 0.97", while MVL was only 0.59" I think. So we got a good soak locally...man is it green out there. Lawns look excellent.

It’s June, so I’ve compiled this past winter’s climate data for our site and added it to my summary table.  I’ll just mention the two most notable parameters for this season, which are the colored entries in the 2013-2014 row at the top.  On the plus side (shown in green), this season absolutely smashed the record for number of accumulating snowstorms, with 58.  On the low side was the value for largest storm (shown in red) – it’s certainly a testament to the way larger storms were difficult to come by in our area this past season, as this is the first time in our records that there has not been a storm of at least 18 inches:

Waterburywxsummarytable.jpg

Just had about 11 rain drops and that'll do it for today.

Did pick up 1.01" in the rain gauge while I was down in Albany though from the Tuesday rains. Stowe CoCoRAHS station had 0.97", while MVL was only 0.59" I think. So we got a good soak locally...man is it green out there. Lawns look excellent.

Only 11 drops? We got soaked for about half an hour at the golf course, rain drops bouncing off the road type stuff.

It’s June, so I’ve compiled this past winter’s climate data for our site and added it to my summary table.  I’ll just mention the two most notable parameters for this season, which are the colored entries in the 2013-2014 row at the top.  On the plus side (shown in green), this season absolutely smashed the record for number of accumulating snowstorms, with 58.  On the low side was the value for largest storm (shown in red) – it’s certainly a testament to the way larger storms were difficult to come by in our area this past season, as this is the first time in our records that there has not been a storm of at least 18 inches:

Interesting about being the first year without an 18"+ "event" at your place, J.Spin....I think the lack of upslope events, or at least mult-day type stuff played a big role in that.  I remember we were discussing through mid-February sort of the lack of notable upslope events.  There were a few moderate 4-8" type deals later in February and March, and there was one in March during that snowy time when I got 13" at the 3,000ft snowboard, but aside from that, the upslope mechanism was subdue last winter.

Funny that the largest upslope event of the season occurred in the mountains on November 10-11th prior to most ski areas being open.  That actually would've been Stowe's largest snowfall of the season with 16" on the upper mountain had it not been for the March 12-13 storm system. 

I remember skiing during and after that November 10-11 storm system with a NWS met, and we were joking how that better not be the best storm of the season...and it would have been had it not been for the March system.

That was really the only big upslope event of the season, too...happening in the first half of November.

Looking back on it, the BTV WRF did pretty good with that November 10-11th event, highlighting the Mansfield-Bolton stretch.

Nov_11_Upslope2.jpg

November_10e.gif

One of the best powder days of the season...on November 11th, lol.

November_11b.jpg

High of 80, first of the year and 2nd latest for any season by one day, though on 6/8/2008 the first 80+ was 86. Should top 80 today and maybe tomorrow. Hoping the dews remain modest; yesterday's were fine, though the wind was brisk enough to end my fishing day early - one person in a canoe can't readily do u-turns in strong winds because the front-end "sail" has to buck the breeze.

I love watching curtains of rain rapidly sprout up.  This here tiny little orange pixel went from nothing to having a really impressive deluge pouring out of it.  Wish I had a time lapse going.

Hopefully it comes at me since I could use some rain... grass is starting to look crisp along the edges of pavement.

post-18-0-86242600-1402336686_thumb.gif

post-18-0-24630000-1402336690_thumb.jpg

Funny that the largest upslope event of the season occurred in the mountains on November 10-11th prior to most ski areas being open.  That actually would've been Stowe's largest snowfall of the season with 16" on the upper mountain had it not been for the March 12-13 storm system.

I remember skiing during and after that November 10-11 storm system with a NWS met, and we were joking how that better not be the best storm of the season...and it would have been had it not been for the March system.

That was really the only big upslope event of the season, too...happening in the first half of November.

Looking back on it, the BTV WRF did pretty good with that November 10-11th event, highlighting the Mansfield-Bolton stretch.

Nov_11_Upslope2.jpg

November_10e.gif

One of the best powder days of the season...on November 11th, lol.

November_11b.jpg

Yeah, bummer about the lack of bigger storm cycles and upslope events this past season, but your mention of that event got me looking back at my trip reports and snowfall data.  That storm wasn’t all that impressive down in the valley at our location in terms of snowfall – I’ve got a couple of distinct storms in my records for that period, the first was the 11/9-11/11 storm, which I’ve got down as a fairly small Alberta Clipper system and that seems to be the one that produced the bulk of the snow.  That one delivered 1.7” Snow/0.74” L.E. for our location, and then it was followed up by a separate frontal passage in the 11/11-11/13 period that delivered 1.7” Snow/0.10” L.E.  But overall it was quite a show in the mountains.  Put those two events together in the higher elevations, and you’ve got some great skiing; combined with a smaller storm right before those on 11/8 (which apparently prompted the closing of Route 108), the Mansfield Co-Op picked up 2.54” of liquid in that stretch.  I’m guessing the bulk of that was snow up high, so that much liquid as snow is something we’d take any time of year – you’re basically talking about a solid resurfacing there.  I’ve pasted in some relevant text from my trip report from the 12th below – with all that liquid equivalent, no wonder I indicated that there was no need for rock skis:

“A fairly small Alberta Clipper system came through the area over the weekend, and in typical Northern Greens style, Mt. Mansfield was able to turn it into a decent shot of early season white.  As of yesterday, reports of 12-18” of new snow were already coming in, and it didn’t take long for photos of the powder to appear from Powderfreak.  We soon saw pictures from the FIS crew and even from the National Weather Service, as one of their meteorologists got out to enjoy his forecast.  The initial reports indicated that the snow had been reasonably dense, setting up a substantial covering of the slopes, and with another round of even colder, drier powder anticipated overnight with a frontal passage, it looked like Tuesday held the potential for some sweet, early season turns.  The front came through overnight as expected, dropping about an inch of snow down at our house, and more in the higher elevations.”

A quick look at some of the photos I took that day leaves no doubt that we were talking about some fantastic skiing during that period:

12NOV13C.jpg

12NOV13F.jpg

73/63 feels awful right now. I can't imagine 93/73.

I agree, sitting in the house with the windows open and it feels warm and uncomfortable.  My partner keeps complaining how muggy its been the past couple of days.  Low 60's dews feel awful, not looking forward to the first 70F dew.  I don't know how people down south live with it for months on end.

Had not looked but Boston area is 66/67F dew, Berlin NH is 52F.  Get that dry air down here!

I agree, sitting in the house with the windows open and it feels warm and uncomfortable.  My partner keeps complaining how muggy its been the past couple of days.  Low 60's dews feel awful, not looking forward to the first 70F dew.  I don't know how people down south live with it for months on end.

Had not looked but Boston area is 66/67F dew, Berlin NH is 52F.  Get that dry air down here!

Lol and they say the same about Northerners in winter.

Been getting that a lot lately in Stowe. The summer tourists aren't as hardy as the winter ones...everyone is like "wow I can't imagine how cold it must be in the winter up here..." Etc.

Most southerners have heating in their homes for the winter so at least they can turn it on when they get cold shots. Most of us NNE's go without any AC so I think it's less tolerable for us when those dews start creeping up near 70F. Those 72/70 nights with no AC aren't fun after the previous day's high was in the 90s.

We were camping over the weekend and back on the snow on Sunday, so I’ll pass along an update on the Mt. Washington snowpack and a few pictures.  Having just visited the east snowfields a week earlier, it was easy to note some of the differences with the passage of another seven days.  I don’t recall seeing any of the patches of snow below the 5,000’ level that we saw on our previous trip, and the various East Snowfields had lost probably 25-50% of their areal coverage.  The skiing was good, as is usually the case with the appropriate weather, but the ski season for the snowfields is definitely winding down and activity will generally be focused in Tuckerman Ravine and other spots going forward.  More details and images from Sunday are in our full report, but I’ve added a few snow-related images below.  The first couple of images are from the past couple of Sundays, showing the change in the snowpack over the week:

01JUN14A.jpg

08JUN14A.jpg

08JUN14P.jpg

08JUN14L.jpg

Most southerners have heating in their homes for the winter so at least they can turn it on when they get cold shots. Most of us NNE's go without any AC so I think it's less tolerable for us when those dews start creeping up near 70F. Those 72/70 nights with no AC aren't fun after the previous day's high was in the 90s.

Growing up in Baltimore in the 1960's most of the lower middle class and below did not have AC. AC for homes started in the 1930's.  Summers must have been brutal. Thinking how easy we have it now.  On the flip side the settlers in this region had lousy heat and colder winters with worse clothing too.   This could be a whole topic but we are lucky to live in 2014 for many reasons!!

Growing up in Baltimore in the 1960's most of the lower middle class and below did not have AC. AC for homes started in the 1930's.  Summers must have been brutal. Thinking how easy we have it now.  On the flip side the settlers in this region had lousy heat and colder winters with worse clothing too.   This could be a whole topic but we are lucky to live in 2014 for many reasons!!

Hey-  how is your blue atlas cedar doing?  Any signs of new growth yet?  I'm totally getting one if yours made it through the winter.

Archived