Gonzalo00
April 2014 General Discussion

Geos

• Replies 656
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some impressive wind damage reports along US 12

04/14/2014 0800 am

3 miles se of Ann Arbor, Washtenaw County.

Non-thunderstorm wind damage, reported by public.

30 foot long tree down near intersection of Washtenaw and
            US 23

04/14/2014 0745 am

Canton, Wayne County.

Non-thunderstorm wind damage, reported by trained spotter.

Two downed power poles near Canton Center and Ford Road.

04/14/2014 0830 am

Westland, Wayne County.

Non-thunderstorm wind damage, reported by trained spotter.

14 inch diameter tree downed near Wayne and Cherry Hill. 
            Time estimated.

Anything leafed out down there?  Anything flowering?  Everything up here (outside of lilacs and tulips) seem to be dormant still. 

Buds started popping out pretty good the last few days, but no leaves yet.  The grass really greened up and started growing yesterday as well.  Other than the grass the landscape still pretty much looks like the dead of winter.

BTW...a quick comment about rain this spring. It has been crazy that EVERY single rain event following has busted low IMBY after a winter where almost every snowstorm overachieved. This one was the worst yet. I am at a GRAND total rainfall of a TRACE from all the storminess of Saturday through this morning. And until this mornings sprinkles, I hadnt seen a drop this weekend. I was happy about the disaster-free snowmelt, but I didnt think every single rain chance we had would bust so big. Doesnt bother me though...but fingers crossed for tonight!

Just cloudy and breezy here right now. Seeing some radar returns to the west and southwest, but can't find any obs indicating it's making it to the ground. 

Trees are budding pretty good now, except the slower trees (oaks etc). Rhododendron in the front of my house now have buds forming on them. First Daffodils are popping open now - a couple weeks late. 

I will join the club!

#OSNW3 24hr Pcpn 2.37", Snow 2.2", Snwg 2". Daily climatology at links http://tiny.cc/cr201404 http://tiny.cc/ms201404 #Oshkosh #wiwx

z140414073800.jpg

6.01" of precipitation Sat/Sun. Impressive for April. http://www.theplayerstour.net/osnw3/rc201404.html

Looks wet and sloppy!

Nice to have one last snow though.

heavy rain and snow melt is really wreaking havoc.  The village is having to shore up the road side with rocks, as the main road into Ellsworth is beginning to wash out.  This is my neighbors Summer rentals across the road.  The are out of town.... yikes

attachicon.gif4-15-14.jpg

WOW. This scenario is what we feared in SEMI in March. 

BTW...a quick comment about rain this spring. It has been crazy that EVERY single rain event following has busted low IMBY after a winter where almost every snowstorm overachieved. This one was the worst yet. I am at a GRAND total rainfall of a TRACE from all the storminess of Saturday through this morning. And until this mornings sprinkles, I hadnt seen a drop this weekend. I was happy about the disaster-free snowmelt, but I didnt think every single rain chance we had would bust so big. Doesnt bother me though...but fingers crossed for tonight!

Last night continued the trend with snow,  You would have thought I was crazy if last Friday I would have told you that most of our QPF would be in the form of snow than rain with this system. :lmao:

PUBLIC INFORMATION STATEMENT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE CHICAGO IL
701 AM CDT TUE APR 15 2014 /801 AM EDT TUE APR 15 2014/

...LATE SEASON SNOWFALL IN CHICAGO...

THE 1.4 INCHES OF SNOW OBSERVED ON APRIL 14TH AT CHICAGO EXTENDED
THE IMPRESSIVE 2013-2014 SNOWFALL SEASON. HERE ARE SOME FACTS
REGARDING THIS LATE SEASON SNOW:

- THERE HAVE ONLY BEEN 11 OTHER CALENDAR DAYS ON OR AFTER APRIL
14TH TO HAVE AT LEAST ONE INCH OF ACCUMULATING SNOW. THE MOST
RECENT TIME WAS APRIL 16 1983. THE LATEST IS MAY 3 1907.

- THIS WAS ONLY THE 5TH TIME ON RECORD THAT CHICAGO HAD ONE INCH
OF SNOW AFTER ALREADY REACHING 80 DEGREES...WHICH THE CITY HAD
DONE ON APRIL 12TH. THE LAST TIME WAS 2003.

- THE CALENDAR DAY HIGH ON APRIL 14TH WAS 63 DEGREES AT CHICAGO
O`HARE. NEVER IN THE PERIOD OF RECORD FOR CHICAGO HAD THERE BEEN A
DAY WITH A HIGH TEMPERATURE OVER 60 DEGREES THAT ALSO HAD AT LEAST
ONE HALF INCH OF SNOW.

- CHICAGO REPORTED ONE INCH OF SNOW DEPTH ON THE MORNING OF APRIL
15TH. THERE HAVE ONLY BEEN FIVE OTHER YEARS TO HAVE AT LEAST ONE
INCH OF SNOW DEPTH ON OR AFTER APRIL 15TH. THE MOST RECENT WAS
APRIL 18 2011.

MSP is sitting at 24F with some sun...avg max today is 58F for them....  got 30F here...sun can't come out, because the clouds popped almost immediately after sun came out this morning (rapid heating of the ground?) ...  i see some areas to the east that have more snow cover, are staying sunny. 

Warm up starts Sat...then continues through next week..should finally get back to 70F or better late rnext week.  Get this leaf out going.

Yum!  -21F in Ontario this morning.  Think of waking up to that on April 15th. 

2099.gif

I think their fishing opener up there isn't too long from now.  My guess is to bring an auger and some winter clothing.

1st season of turkey hunting opens in Wisconsin tomorrow.  Might be a little snow on the ground for some. 

Wow, what was that ratio!? Looks like a sheet of ice.

We had heavy rain all day. Not sure of the water content of the snow that fell overnight. Never did take a sample. Oops. All blended together. That said, my 2-Day pcpn total of 6.01" on Apr 13-14 ranks 3rd all-time in Oshkosh history.

BlQegoACYAEKNx2.png

It's 32 degrees at IND right now.  There's only been one occurrence of a max temp of 35 or lower on or after April 15, and it was on April 17, 1875 when the high temp was an astonishingly cold 26 degrees.  The daily record of 40 is certainly in jeopardy.

It's 32 degrees at IND right now.  There's only been one occurrence of a max temp of 35 or lower on or after April 15, and it was on April 17, 1875 when the high temp was an astonishingly cold 26 degrees.  The daily record of 40 is certainly in jeopardy.

That 1875 temp is ridiculous.

Archived