joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
April 2014 discussion

Mikehobbyst

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Incredible, 0.7" on the ground this morning. Definitely more than I expected, and the latest accum snow I've ever seen.

63.7" on the season, and impressive spread from first to last snow. Nov 12th, 0.2" and April 16th, 0.7". A little over 5 months.

How often have we seen that bookended at KNYC ?

How often have we seen that bookended at KNYC ?

1995-1996 was the last time there was measurable snow in both November and April... and that year, every month in between, of course.

1989-1990 before then.

Others included 1955-1956, 1953-1954, 1949-1950, 1937-1938, 1917-1918, 1906-1907, 1897-1898, 1892-1893.

We had some snow on cars this morning and a tiny amount on grass in some places, very impressive for April 16th. Since I don't know how much we had overnight when it stopped snowing, I'll go with 0.1" total, making it 55.1" for the season in Long Beach.

Also, obviously, the "NYC won't hit or go below 32" calls busted.

We had some snow on cars this morning and a tiny amount on grass in some places, very impressive for April 16th. Since I don't know how much we had overnight when it stopped snowing, I'll go with 0.1" total, making it 55.1" for the season in Long Beach.

Also, obviously, the "NYC won't hit or go below 32" calls busted.

People hug the Euro way toooo much

The Euro was a bit off of its rocker in terms of totals but it actually nailed this event as a snow event a week out. It had the wicked band that came through last night as well. If the ground wasn't so warm, a lot of areas could have picked up a quick warning criteria snowfall. Here was the Euro's snow map from day 7.

post-2786-0-77888100-1397653337_thumb.pn

The Euro was a bit off of its rocker in terms of totals but it actually nailed this event as a snow event a week out. It had the wicked band that came through last night as well. If the ground wasn't so warm, a lot of areas could have picked up a quick warning criteria snowfall. Here was the Euro's snow map from day 7.

attachicon.gifecmwf_snow_24_neng_38.png

The Euro may have caught the closer to the coast wave, but it ended up far more subdued with less cold air than the Euro had progged.  If the Euro had verified as progged, significantly more snow would have fallen. 

Are you sure. I had 1.5 in highland lakes. Spoke with a coworker in west Milford that had around the same.

He lives on top of the Mountain in Hewitt, I have no reason to question him.

Anyone that knows that area well knows that their is a big difference between up the mountain and down the mountain. West MIlford is a few hundred feet lower than Hewitt.

The Euro may have caught the closer to the coast wave, but it ended up far more subdued with less cold air than the Euro had progged.  If the Euro had verified as progged, significantly more snow would have fallen. 

That was a pretty epic band last night that clipped northern NJ and points east. Obviously the Euro was way over zelous spitting out 5" liquid equivalent that run, and eventually went on to agree with the other globals that the last band would be OTS.

The 4k NAM nailed that band last night almost perfectly.

Archived