• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Grading the winter of 2013/14

thunderbolt

I'm keeping it as a B/B+. Our luck runs out at some point every winter (besides the Goliath ones like 95-96 that come around maybe once per century), and we don't have go-to storm types for snow like New England or the Midwest.

JM honestly how is this not at least an A-? Bc of March? You had over 50" of snow with prolonged cold and snow cover. I mean I guess a B+ could be acceptable but nothing below that.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

JM honestly how is this not at least an A-? Bc of March? You had over 50" of snow with prolonged cold and snow cover. I mean I guess a B+ could be acceptable but nothing below that.

It's hard for me to give a winter an A or A- if the vast majority of the snow falls within 5-6 weeks. December had almost nothing, and late Feb/March was obviously full of missed chances. There were also no storms of 12" or more.

It's hard for me to give a winter an A or A- if the vast majority of the snow falls within 5-6 weeks. December had almost nothing, and late Feb/March was obviously full of missed chances. There were also no storms of 12" or more.

Fair enough. 10 miles north I got my one 12" snowfall. Four 8"+ events. Sticking with my A. I could go A-.

I'm keeping it as a B/B+. Our luck runs out at some point every winter (besides the Goliath ones like 95-96 that come around maybe once per century), and we don't have go-to storm types for snow like New England or the Midwest.

Even 1995-6 had lengthy "warm waves" typical of a Niña. This winter, and 2010-1 were the best in terms of concentrating the winter weather enough to give us deep snow cover and frequent storms. This winter was better in the "cold" department than 2010-1.

Guest Pamela

Seasonal Snowfall
2013-14 Winter
As of 4/4/2014 / 11:30 PM

Worcester: 84.6"

Philadelphia Intl. Airport: 68.0"

Allentown: 67.8"

Islip, NY: 63.5"

Newark Airport: 60.7"
Boston: 58.6"

NWS Upton L.I.: 57.5"
NYC Central Park: 57.4"
Bridgeport / Sikorsky: 57.0"
Washington Dulles: 52.8"
NYC LaGuardia: 52.1"
Hartford: 50.9"
NYC JFK: 45.5"

Atlantic City: 43.8"
Providence: 43.3"
Baltimore (BWI): 39.0"
Washington National: 32.0"

I will give it a - A ( I would have given it a A if we would have gotten one storm over 20 inches)

IMO this winter gets an A.What other grade can you give to a winter featuring  below avg temps and ranks  7th in total seasonal snowfall at NYC ? The missed snowstorms to the south in March prevented this from being a A + winter.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Pamela

Total Snowfall
2000-01 through 2013-14 (Last 14 Years)

Boston / Logan Airport: 679.8 inches / average 48.56 inches
Brookhaven Lab, L.I. / Upton: 596.1 inches / average 42.58 inches
New York City / Central Park: 467.5 inches / average 33.39 inches
Philadelphia / International Airport: 389.9 inches / average 27.85 inches
Baltimore / BWI Airport: 292.0 inches / average 20.86 inches
Washington / Reagan Airport: 214.7 inches / average 15.34 inches

I give it a B+.  Very good winter with a lot of moderate to significant events and almost always something to track, as well as the coldest temps I've experienced since I started closely following the weather (several subzero lows at home, one day with highs in the single digits).  Also very persistent snow cover from late January through early March (46 straight days of at least an inch on the ground in New Brunswick). 

But the one thing really lacking from this winter was a major or historic event of widespread 12+", and I consider that very important and pretty much a necessity for a winter to get an A rating in my book.  It was slightly frustrating because we came so close several times.  Also March has blown chunks; by the time we get this late in the season if it isn't going to snow, let it just be warm.  And we've had several missed opportunities.  If we do by some chance get a late season storm I may revise it to an A-.

No late season storm so my final grade is a B+.  Great in terms of total snowfall, snowcover, and number of events, as well as the cold (temps got lower out here in the suburbs), but I can't give any winter without at least a 12+" event an A or A+.  And late Feb-March was a disappointment and left a somewhat bitter taste in my mouth.

Looks like you are a little ways WSW of Trenton...might want to put that in your profile so your location can be quickly identified by readers...of course, if you are concerned about giving out your location...that is certainly up to you. 

You can give a nearby airport code. In that case KPHL or KTTN.

I suspect many of these folks are pretty young? Anyone giving this winter less than an A- can't fathom the pain of the 1980's (NYC) and the 1990's. (Other than 93 94 96, that decade was down right snowless and painful).

I agree with you on that.  Even for us middle-age types (I was born in 1957) forget that +4 is a respectable low for the winter, especially if single-digits occur with reasonable frequency.  Even 1995-6 had snow cover on far less days than this winter.

• 7 months later...

Archived