• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 11-12th Winter Storm Part 2

Chicago Storm

Several inches of sleet and snow with a brief lull in progress.  Awaiting Tim's weenie band to move east.  We were rain for the start of buses, then heavy sleet, then snow for our middle and high school students.  We got them here but no power.  Delayed the elementary pick up.  With Duke reporting 6000+ customers in Howard County without power, we dismissed at 9 AM.  What a mess this has been for us today.  I think today marks the 10th snow day for the year,  Countless delays and weekends with cancelled activities. 

• Replies 918
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Northern and Western Burbs "should" get above 10" with this event

SREFs did best ... got a bit out of hand but then again if last evenings rain would have been snow :whistle:

No complaints from me!!  This winter is now A++.  I don't think my kids will ever see anything like this again (unless they move to a LES belt or mountains)!!! 

SREFs did best ... got a bit out of hand but then again if last evenings rain would have been snow :whistle:

No complaints from me!!  This winter is now A++.  I don't think my kids will ever see anything like this again (unless they move to a LES belt or mountains)!!! 

I don't think are kids will like snow as much as we do to even care ;)

funny, radar shows very little over western ohio, but it is snowing pretty good out there.............

Yeah, Toledo's sort of in no-man's land between CLE, DTX and IWX's radar sites. 

Same thing happened with the Jan. 5th storm.

Really need to set up better radar coverage there.

And proud to announce that mixing has begun.

Was wondering when the mixing would start; I still had 38F and a nasty whipping rain at 22:30.

4.5" of wet cement on the gound above a foul layer of pedestrian killing ice. Shotcrete on all the cars, boot-wrecking salty slush floating in puddles high enough to leak into overshoes. A bitter gusting wind coming around corners onto N-S streets. In our household this season we've got two auto road damage flats so far, three cycle flats, and comically destroyed rim. I see they've starting chucking sandbags into the more yawning craters. Would rather they'd raised the city sticker price by 100% and used it for surfacing.

Overall I'd forgotten how hostile Chicago is to cyclists and pedestrians: whole swathes of the Southside with grandpas trudging through puddles and dodging traffic on the streets because of the number of vacant or waste ground frontages where no-one has responsibility to clear sidewalks, or the absentee owner just doesn't care. Crosswalk access and bus stop access often hindered by plow wake piles, making walking down the side of State St. the safer option. Utterly miserable for old persons, people with wheelchairs, canes, walkers, crutches, strollers, or grocery carriers. I saw two young men lift up a grandmother and carry her to a clear sidewalk south of Chinatown this AM. "Can an active Chinese-American grandmother safely navigate the sidewalks and public transit access with her shopping: yes" should be the minimum standard for pedestrian infrastructure.

It would have been nice to see ORD get slammed so we could chalk up the record and move on to pothole patching season.

Archived