• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
3/6 - 3/7 Event is it this seasons last gasp?

WXinCanton

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Low tracks into SW GA by hr 144.  Obviously, that doesn't work.

Central AL is being hammered with heavy precipitation and 850s are nearly 0C, though.  Interesting.  Surface temperatures are in the 40s, verbatim, though.

By hr 150, the LP is centered in central SC.  LOL.

The 12z Euro is a severe outlier with the surface low track at the moment.  Maybe It's right... I don't know.

Hmmm sounds like doc could be struggling. Cad was better?

I think so...

To progressive Too warm period

Even though its showing retreating HP there should be some kind of hybrid damming setup. Not to mention even though its not fully closed off at the h5 there should be sub 32 temps at 850 on the North side of the precip shield wrapping around the coma head.

The track is nearly perfect for a snowstorm... GOM across N FL,Lower Ga off the coast.

Not really seeing the need for a lot of throwing in the towel or overexuberance at this point for a D5 storm in early March. We were always going to be presented with a lot of different looks. Many, many options are still on the table. The odds favor rain outside of the mountains/foothills, but there's still lots that can change favorably...or not.

The Euro Ensembles do not really support the operational.  The mean track appears to be offshore.  HP slides OTS at hr 132 while the surface low just offshore SE of Panama City, FL.  By hr 144 the low is centered offshore of Charleston, SC.  At hr 156, the low is offshore of Cape Hatteras.

850s appear colder than last night's ensemble mean.  The CAD signature is more evident.  Verbatim, there's not much snow seen except for maybe the northern areas at the start (and that depends on how fast precip is moving, which is hard to tell), but using an ensemble mean to pinpoint the snow line is kind of iffy, anyways.

EDIT: Actually, the general setup is pretty similar to last night's ensembles.  850s are colder, though.  Nevertheless, the Euro ensembles aren't buying the inland track of the operational yet.

The control run is also further east than the operational, though not as far east as the ensemble mean.  It basically runs right up the coast and into the Pamlico Sound, rather than through SW GA and central SC like the Euro operational.

The Euro Ensembles do not really support the operational.  The mean track appears to be offshore.  HP slides OTS at hr 132 while the surface low just offshore SE of Panama City, FL.  By hr 144 the low is centered offshore of Charleston, SC.  At hr 156, the low is offshore of Cape Hatteras.

850s appear colder than last night's ensemble mean.  The CAD signature is more evident.  Verbatim, there's not much snow seen except for maybe the northern areas at the start (and that depends on how fast precip is moving, which is hard to tell), but using an ensemble mean to pinpoint the snow line is kind of iffy, anyways.

I agreed and we are still outside 5+ days, look at how much this 3/3 event has changed since 5 days ago, it was a LGA/BOS jackpot, now it's turning into DC south jackpot, just nuts.

Just compare how much things change...

---12z GFS run from 3 days ago ---

gfs_mslp_pcpn_us_21.png

---12z run from today --- 

gfs_mslp_pcpn_us_9.png

Here is ECMWF 12z (today) prog of winds at 5,000 ft for Thu/Fri with the GoMex Low.

Thursday approx 45 kts near New Orleans; Friday 60-65 kts over Florida and Carolinas.

SPC monitoring for psbl severe wx outbreak for Florida March 6th.  While this is not
1993 Storm of Century of course, its implications for the Southeast may be similar.

Noted comments re cold air damming; this event would be separate from influx of northern cold

stream flow aloft as split flow forecast to dominate days 4-10.  Will be difficult south of Charlotte
down east slopes of mountains for below 32F icing / CAD event over GA or SC.

See severe TS Florida & Carolinas, intense winter precip event VA and north....IMHO.

post-10386-0-85814900-1393705206_thumb.p

post-10386-0-85636900-1393705220_thumb.p

Here is ECMWF 12z (today) prog of winds at 5,000 ft for Thu/Fri with the GoMex Low.

Thursday approx 45 kts near New Orleans; Friday 60-65 kts over Florida and Carolinas.

SPC monitoring for psbl severe wx outbreak for Florida March 6th.  While this is not

1993 Storm of Century of course, its implications for the Southeast may be similar.

The front has already passed most of FL on the 144 hr frame and I'm pretty sure no one is monitoring for a "possible outbreak" at this time, especially considering model differences.

The front has already passed most of FL on the 144 hr frame and I'm pretty sure no one is monitoring for a "possible outbreak" at this time, especially considering model differences.

from NWS Tallahassee FL

The main concern in the extended period comes on Thursday as a

potent shortwave carves through the northern Gulf, resulting in

rather significant Gulf cyclogenesis. This forecast will favor the

12z ECMWF as it has held a much steadier forecast over the past

couple of days, and is also supported by the CMC. The surface low-

track, as well as the low and deep layer wind profiles are quite

concerning with respected to severe convection. Both the ECMWF and

the CMC, depict a 50+ KT LLJ nosing right up Apalachee Bay.

Further, a strong mid-level jet max raises deep layer shear values

over 60 knots...

The 500mb wave in the southeast on the Euro Ensemble looks really, really good...it's what you would want to see in this area for a good winter storm in terms of strength / track.  The problem is a lack of deep, cold air.  No north atlantic blocking, so the window for cold is short.  I do think the potential is there for the early portion of the storm to have a wintry mix in this area due to the good cold air damming look, which is typically as cold or colder than the models show, as others have commented.  I'm not really in the camp of thinking that you can't have icing in this area in early March.  If the setup is there with a good, cold air source, I don't see why it can't happen, and I suspect it's happened in the past...maybe GaWx has some cases.

The sfc low on the Euro Ens did trend west this run...its track being just barely off the SE coast...whereas it has been steadfast at tracking it across Daytona Beach, then off the SE coast (more off the coast than this run).

from NWS Tallahassee FL

Nowhere there do I see "possible outbreak".

Also interesting that you decided to cherry-pick the discussion and forgot to add the remainder of it...

However, as impressive as that is, both the ECMWF

and CMC depict enough isentropic rain ahead of the dynamic system,

to effectively cut off any chance of surface based storms.

Nonetheless, with considerable differences between the GFS and

ECMWF, the forecast remains highly uncertain and with such

impressive wind fields, all interests should pay close attention

to forecast changes as the system draws nearer.

With all this impending "doom".  Why do most offices have highs next week from 50-60??

If there's limited CAD/precip, it could get to 50 because the main cold air source would be due to CAD.

GA Folks,

The 12z JMA from best I can tell is probably a ZR/IP CAD hit for CAd regions incl. GA and with 2"+ of qpf! The ukmet looks great. The CMC is too warm due to limited CAD but has a great Miller A/very wet. The Euro has nice CAD initially but the precip. is delayed and the low seems to get too strong thus bringing up too much warmth as 850's get to ~+7 C. Still ~1" of qpf N GA. I like to see +5 C or colder. So, it isn't that far off and it wouldn't surprise me if the next run is back to major ZR/IP, as suggested by at least half its members. The gfs is in lala land with its way too progressive low.

Larry, I think the euro will come back around, but not going to lie, I'm a little less impressed with this one. For some reason the 2m temps bother me. I think it will be colder than forecasted, but it retreats very quickly. I don't know why, but they are all showing it. The dynamical setup with the ULL is very impressive but the low levels are torchy. Again, I think wrong, but don't like some of the stuff seen today. I know it's only 1 run of the king, but something I guess to see if it's starting s trend.

Archived