joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2/13/2014 Major Coastal Storm Observations

Rtd208

• Replies 808
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That storm in '87 was great and included thundersnow around noon where I was living in Bucks County.

I'm guessing you have at least 12" from today's storm.

The sky has significantly brightened in Spring Mount, PA (although still cloudy, cloud deck is much thinner).  Precip is a very light mix of sleet and zr at 11:24 AM.

Almost made it but not quite - 11.2" here

We were close by for that one, yes thundersnow in that one hour of dumpage 

that's ok though this storm is bigger with an impressive CCB to come  :)

Finally above freezing at 32.1 here.....light rain falling.   Glad I got that first 6 to 7 inches off the deck. It seemed like the NWS deepened their 14-18" zone as I would be clearly in it.

Again, unless we get tons more than the 2-4" I expect from the back side, we are not getting close to the totals depicted on that map.

I can't help but notice the parallels between this storm and March 1993.  I am NOT saying they are the same... just that they share a lot of similarities:  Heavy snow and ice in the southeast in places like Birmingham and Atlanta and almost to the Gulf Coast; Very strong storms in Florida from the cold front; a several-hour period of super-heavy front-end snow in the east coast coastal plain followed by some sleet and then a dry slot; .....and hopefully, the backlash working through later with a bit more snow on top.   

Yanksfan27 posted last night that the 1993 Superstorm was either the #1 or #2 analog to this storm (it was in the 18Z model thread, I think (can't search now).  I completely agree on the similarities.  Lived in Edison back then and got about 10" of snow, then a couple inches of sleet, but no more snow - much windier in that storm, though.  So far I got 9" snow (maybe 10" by now - it's been an hour and have had sleet/snow) and precip has let up, but this time it's looking more likely to get wrap around snow. 

Finally above freezing at 32.1 here.....light rain falling.   Glad I got that first 6 to 7 inches off the deck. It seemed like the NWS deepened their 14-18" zone as I would be clearly in it.

Again, unless we get tons more than the 2-4" I expect from the back side, we are not getting close to the totals depicted on that map.

Only 6 to 7 inches from the 1st round?  Seems like you were in a relative screw-zone.  Most places in and around Philly ended up in the 8.5 to 13.5 inch range.

How much from "part II" of the storm tonight?  The HRRR was showing a lot of incremental accumulation... not sure if that's real.  I know  a lot depends on the CCB, etc.. Thoughts for the various regions in the area (ILG, PHL, Burbs, CNJ, SNJ, NW, etc)

Most models are advertising at least a couple inches of snow from part 2 of the storm tonight.  I'd go with 2 to 4 inches in general, with a few spots getting to 5 or 6.

I don't know if this was posted or not?

At a glance, it would appear that, east of the Delaware River, most of those totals have already fallen with perhaps 2" more to come with any backlash later today/tonight.  West of the Delaware. it would appear that the NWS is going with 4" to 8" more to come between what might still be falling and the backlash.     

Only 6 to 7 inches from the 1st round?  Seems like you were in a relative screw-zone.  Most places in and around Philly ended up in the 8.5 to 13.5 inch range.

John - I did get an additional 1.3 inches, bringing my Round 1 total to 8.2"....but yes, I was clearly a bit less than surrounding areas.   Probably I did not get into the heavier bands until late.  Also I had  a lot of sleet mixed in from about 9 to 10:30, which also reduced accumulations.   Then a burst of heavy snow toward 11 o'clock lasted only about 20 minutes.

I am debating scraping off that mush lying in the driveway before round 2....otherwise, it will be hard to get that up tomorrow!

I don't know if this was posted or not?

I am at 8.2" with light rain.

I see that in the latest PNS, Furlong, PA, which is near me, reporting 8.5" at 10:30.   That probably puts it 1/2" - 3/4" ahead of me.   So I consider my measurements fairly accurate.   Furlong is also at a higher altitude, which might account for that difference.

My forecast has an additional 2-4" tonight which makes sense.

No way I would reach 14-18" which is where I would be on that map.

Anywhere southeast of say, Perkasie, should be in the 10-14" band.

Not sure why that is depicted that way.

Archived