2/13/2014 Major Coastal Storm Observations

Rtd208

• Replies 808
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dryslotted now

Temp 32.4F

Winds still howling NNE

All the salt on the streets are finally working through the snow cover and some asphalt is slowly appearing.

They treat the roads in Chestnut Hill? They don't touch them in Mt. Airy. Only the main roads. There was snow from two Monday's ago storm still on the side roads on Saturday.

They treat the roads in Chestnut Hill? They don't touch them in Mt. Airy. Only the main roads. There was snow from two Monday's ago storm still on the side roads on Saturday.

I live right on the Chestnut Hill/Wyndmoor border so Springfield Twp trucks have to come on my side to get back to theirs.  :lmao:

Consider this unofficial, but I just got an update from family in Cherry Hill: As of a few minutes ago, they had "around 13 inches". It sounds like things had lightened up considerably so the dry slot appears to have arrived.

Sounds about right. Kind of difficult to measure, though. And yes, the dryslot is here.

I've been a fly on the wall here, and enjoyed reading everyone's input. I'm just outside of A.C., and we have 0 snow on the ground and its been rain, and very strong wind. Has to be gusting to 50 at times. I'm heading to the beach now. Nothing says power, like an angry ocean.

I can't help but notice the parallels between this storm and March 1993.  I am NOT saying they are the same... just that they share a lot of similarities:  Heavy snow and ice in the southeast in places like Birmingham and Atlanta and almost to the Gulf Coast; Very strong storms in Florida from the cold front; a several-hour period of super-heavy front-end snow in the east coast coastal plain followed by some sleet and then a dry slot; .....and hopefully, the backlash working through later with a bit more snow on top.   

9" of new snow/sleet on the ground here in Metuchen (Edison area), as of about 10:30 am and it's been mostly sleet since then, with a bit less intensity than before; temp still only 30F.  Just finished shoveling for the 2nd time.  It's been freakin' wild out there for the last hour or so.  We had 3" on the ground as of 7 am then 5" on the ground as of 8 am then 7" on the ground as of 9 am, when I had to do a telecon for work.  Sleet starting mixing in around 9:45 am and it oscillated back and forth between mostly sleet or mostly snow until 10:30 am and as I said, it's been mostly/all sleet since then. 

For a time, I'm sure we had some 3" per hour rates and clearly had an overall 2" per hour rate from 7-9 am - some of the heaviest snow I've ever witnessed, with some flakes (agglomerates, really) honestly the size of silver dollars, at least 2" in diameter and visibility maybe 100 yards.  Wish it was still snow, but very happy the rain has held off and still appears to be a few hours away - I'll take sleet any day.  Seems like the Russians stopping the Nazis at the Volga in Stalingrad, lol.  NWS has upped my area to 10-14" total and while we might not get much more accumulation on the front end, I'm assuming we'll get at least a few inches on the back end and if it does go above freezing it would be awesome if that coincided with the dry slot.  NWS graphics have me down for 2-3" on the back end, which would get me to 12-14", depending if I get more in the next hour or two. Amazing storm. 

moderate to heavy snow back edge nears 

26F

Comparisons with 1/22/87 from my observations 

11:30-12:30pm 4" snow (my most ever in one hour)for 6" total

12:30:1:30pm  2.25"  for 8.25" total

light snow from 4pm to 10pm for a storm total of 12" no ccb for that storm

highest hourly rate this storm 2.5"

*back edge arrived light snow as of 11:20am

Getting some moderate rain again before the main dryslot hits.

Temp 32.4F

Winds W moderate with gusts

At least we didn't get huge clumps of show pasted to every tree like last Monday - especially having this wind that we didn't have last week.  And with the temps above freezing, am hoping some of the paste that is left on some of the tall evergreens can maybe melt and slough off before round 2.  Otherwise we'll have more trees coming down. :axe:

moderate to heavy snow back edge nears 

26F

Comparisons with 1/22/87 from my observations 

11:30-12:30pm 4" snow (my most ever in one hour)for 6" total

12:30:1:30pm  2.25"  for 8.25" total

light snow from 4pm to 10pm for a storm total of 12" no ccb for that storm

highest hourly rate this storm 2.5"

*back edge arrived light snow as of 11:20am

That storm in '87 was great and included thundersnow around noon where I was living in Bucks County.

I'm guessing you have at least 12" from today's storm.

The sky has significantly brightened in Spring Mount, PA (although still cloudy, cloud deck is much thinner).  Precip is a very light mix of sleet and zr at 11:24 AM.

Archived