joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
06z Models 2/12/2014 | Potential Major Coastal Storm

user13

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Seeing the 6z GFS is the second best map ive seen only to last years Blizzard 1.25"+ in 6hrs on the backend for Litchfield

county?? Last year's storm showed a blip of 1.5" + in 6hrs right over my house (that was underdone) As I saw closer to 20" in 6 hours.. Someone is going to get smoked with 75 miles of NYC metro by the comma head

Look at the last 4 runs of the GFS and check out the trend to develop the CCB overhead and move the H5 low into a textbook position. 

The following links are the last four GFS runs beginning at 12z yesterday. Now this is a trend. 

http://www.meteo.psu.edu/~fxg1/AVNEAST_12z/f66.gif

http://www.meteo.psu.edu/~fxg1/AVNEAST_18z/f60.gif

http://www.meteo.psu.edu/~fxg1/AVNEAST_0z/f54.gif

http://www.meteo.psu.edu/~fxg1/AVNEAST_6z/f48.gif

Let me crtitque my statement regarding backlash snows. One of two things usually happen. 1) they never develop to their full intensity and underperform as good bit 2) the band wacks NYC vicinity and by the time it moves east the 2-3"+ snowfall rates for 5-7 hours arent even close as it works over LI and we'll as a whole see maybe half of that. 2006 blizzard that band was ripping over NYC when it got to suffolk it was light to moderate snow. These are really difficult to produce over wide area IMO and even harder to have the intensity stay steadfast as it pivote E/NE. Point is where i am when someone says the real show is going to be backlash it gives me chills in a worrisome way from past experiences

Let me crtitque my statement regarding backlash snows. One of two things usually happen. 1) they never develop to their full intensity and underperform as good bit 2) the band wacks NYC vicinity and by the time it moves east the 2-3"+ snowfall rates for 5-7 hours arent even close as it works over LI and we'll as a whole see maybe half of that. 2006 blizzard that band was ripping over NYC when it got to suffolk it was light to moderate snow. These are really difficult to produce over wide area IMO and even harder to have the intensity stay steadfast as it pivote E/NE. Point is where i am when someone says the real show is going to be backlash it gives me chills in a worrisome way from past experiences

So your basically saying they dont work out for your back yard. Im not being mean but if I compile all your posts, 90% say the same ****.

That isn't always true at all. Jan 26, 2011 gave over a foot to everyone save maybe the twin forks, 2/8/13 obviously destroyed Suffolk County on backlash, and Christmas 2002 was good for at least half of the island. I don't think the potential for the CCB is something we can dismiss.

Look at the last 4 runs of the GFS and check out the trend to develop the CCB overhead and move the H5 low into a textbook position.

The following links are the last four GFS runs beginning at 12z yesterday. Now this is a trend.

http://www.meteo.psu.edu/~fxg1/AVNEAST_12z/f66.gif

http://www.meteo.psu.edu/~fxg1/AVNEAST_18z/f60.gif

http://www.meteo.psu.edu/~fxg1/AVNEAST_0z/f54.gif

http://www.meteo.psu.edu/~fxg1/AVNEAST_6z/f48.gif

Just catching up here. GFS is finally on board, and IMO it's always note worthy when the just GFS is showing more precip over my area than the NAM.

http://mag.ncep.noaa.gov/Image.php?fhr=060ℑ=data%2Fgfs%2F06%2Fgfs_namer_060_precip_p36.gif&model=gfs&area=namer&param=precip_p36&group=Model+Guidance&imageSize=M

I agree Red the only one I remember is jan 2011 where I had 19 inches about 10-15 of that from wraparound. Didn't get it in 2002 or 2006; I had 18 total in feb 2006 and nothing 2002. So I disregard  it usually, that said this seems to be consistent with the models in this storm, tricky forecast and most schools will probably shut tomorrow to play it safe; spring break is shot so why worry now?

That isn't always true at all. Jan 26, 2011 gave over a foot to everyone save maybe the twin forks, 2/8/13 obviously destroyed Suffolk County on backlash, and Christmas 2002 was good for at least half of the island. I don't think the potential for the CCB is something we can dismiss.

No we cant dismiss it but my call would be the areas that are going to jackpot will eastern NJ ( earthlight land ), NYC, rockland/ orange and into SW CT. As it goes across LI im just not confident at all it will maintain its prolific rates should it materialize because as they start moving east the rates drop off substantially save for the few occasions you stated. Im basing my forecast accum. On the CCB not delivering as it is as much of a wild card as you can have in a coastal storm

Forgot about 2/8/13, which I tend to downplay since we were on the fringes of a much bigger storm

Just catching up here. GFS is finally on board, and IMO it's always note worthy when the just GFS is showing more precip over my area than the NAM.

http://mag.ncep.noaa.gov/Image.php?fhr=060ℑ=data%2Fgfs%2F06%2Fgfs_namer_060_precip_p36.gif&model=gfs&area=namer&param=precip_p36&group=Model+Guidance&imageSize=M

Help me out I'm confused; I thought all of these went west on the latest runs and isn't that a bad thing for us....

I agree Red the only one I remember is jan 2011 where I had 19 inches about 10-15 of that from wraparound. Didn't get it in 2002 or 2006; I had 18 total in feb 2006 and nothing 2002. So I disregard it usually, that said this seems to be consistent with the models in this storm, tricky forecast and most schools will probably shut tomorrow to play it safe; spring break is shot so why worry now?

Read my latest post going with 6" total thats with the front end thump and whatever snow it may be on the backside. Being as realistic as possible my friend last time i saw true intense rates was christmas 2002, 2013 the big rates were further east of me and 2011 wasnt all impressive to me

Help me out I'm confused; I thought all of these went west on the latest runs and isn't that a bad thing for us....

They didn't go west per se, the models trended toward developing the CCB faster and maturing the mid level centers. Go to the post I made about 30 minutes ago which illustrates the GFS trending toward this.

Snowfall totals may have to be upped then if the CCB becomes realized, perhaps significantly so as most of that 6-10" that's forecast could come in the front end thump.

I have heard WNYC change their amounts within the past hour...1-3 overnite and 3-5 Thursday, now going 1-3 and 5-10...that's quite a jump

The 6z NAM front end alone is a foot area wide . If at 12z  the NAM continues to show the colder solution , then you have to buy it .The other Non American models have moved towards the NAM they did not move to the Euro . The UKIE , GGEM  and now the GFS  develop the CCB as the NAM was the first to see it . It was also early in its track E of AC and not tucked in like the Euro . 

sidenote .. The Euro sees the CCB but its into SNE because its the furthest west .

Will obvious wait until 12z , if you don't` get that mid level punch and keep that center off AC , then it maybe a case that the Euro

is too wound up through OBX and that forces it run inside . Only speculating . hope I`m right at 12z . Good Luck .

Archived