joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
06z Models 2/12/2014 | Potential Major Coastal Storm

user13

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

EASTERN U.S. CYCLONE AND WINTER STORM ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ PREFERENCE: BLEND OF THE 00Z GFS / 00Z ECMWF / 21Z SREF MEAN

CONFIDENCE: AVERAGE ON THE LARGE SCALE...BELOW AVERAGE FOR PRECIPITATION TYPE

RELATIVELY SMALL DIFFERENCES STILL EXIST BETWEEN THE LATEST AVAILABLE GUIDANCE ON THE SYNOPTIC SCALE...BUT THESE DIFFERENCES TRANSLATE TO LARGE IMPACTS AT THE SURFACE WITH P-TYPE. ONE CONSISTENT TREND HAS BEEN SLOWER FROM LAST NIGHTS MODEL RUNS...BUT THERE HAS BEEN MORE OF A WOBBLE OCCURRING BETWEEN EAST/WEST DISPLACEMENT WITH THE UPPER TROUGH / CORRESPONDING SURFACE LOW WITH EACH MODEL RUN. THE 00Z NAM IS STILL ON THE WEAKER SIDE OF THE GUIDANCE WITH THE AMPLIFYING UPPER TROUGH INTO THE SOUTHEAST EARLY THU AND NEVER REALLY CLOSES OFF A CENTER AT 500 MB...WHICH IS A SIGNIFICANT DEPARTURE FROM THE REMAINING MODELS. THE NAM THEREFORE HAS A DIFFERING 850 MB LOW ORIENTATION AND IS FASTER/WEAKER AT THE SURFACE. THE 00Z GFS POSITION LOOKS FINE...JUST A BIT EAST OF THE 12Z ECMWF BUT IS WEAKER AT 850-500 MB BY ABOUT 30 M. THE LATEST ENSEMBLE SCATTER LOW PLOTS...INITIALIZED 12Z/11...SHOW 3 CLUSTERS AT 00Z/14. THE ECMWF CLUSTER IS OVER THE DELMARVA WITH THE 12Z ECMWF ON THE EAST SIDE OF THE ECMWF MEMBERS...FOLLOWED BY THE GEFS MEMBERS ENE OF THE ECMWF...AND THE CMC NORTHEAST OF THE GEFS. GIVEN THE TWO SHORTWAVES RESPONSIBLE FOR THE EAST COAST STORM ARE CURRENTLY OVER THE U.S. AND APPEAR TO BE WELL SAMPLED...THE REASONABLY CONSISTENT GFS/ECMWF/UKMET APPEAR TO BE WOBBLING ABOUT A POINT LIKELY TO VERIFY...ALONG WITH THE SREF MEAN...WILL PREFER A BLEND OF THE 00Z GFS / 12Z ECMWF / 21Z SREF. THE LATEST 00Z UKMET/ECMWF/CMC ARE SIMILAR TO THEIR PREVIOUS RUNS...WITH ONLY SUBTLE WOBBLES IN STRENGTH/POSITION...WILL KEEP THE SAME PREFERENCE BUT REPLACING THE 12Z ECWMF WITH THE 00Z ECMWF.

We better enjoy this storm because the 216 to 240 hour ecmwf and GFS is ugly and a potential for snow pack assault. We may struggle to get below freezing at some point in the 2/19 to 2/24 time frame. This would be an amazing light switch short term pattern change. The ECMWF shows 50 degrees at 850 mb at 240 hours. OH my. Snowpack could get assaulted in about a week to ten days.

We better enjoy this storm because the 216 to 240 hour ecmwf and GFS is ugly and a potential for snow pack assault. We may struggle to get below freezing at some point in the 2/19 to 2/24 time frame. This would be an amazing light switch short term pattern change. The ECMWF shows 50 degrees at 850 mb at 240 hours. OH my. Snowpack could get assaulted in about a week to ten days.

lol who cares

That's a good thing, dude. Many of us are sick and tired of the cold air and constant winter storms. Don't get me wrong, I love a nice snowstorm... but enough is enough. Here's hoping we get a nice warm Spring.

Archived